What's the last movie you saw?

Mjölnir

Jan 1, 2019, 9:27:27 PM1/1/19
to The Metal Crypt
Time to bring this staple here.

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

Well, that was pretty fucking spectacular.

Michel Renaud

Jan 5, 2019, 9:36:15 AM1/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Annihilation

That was different. I was expecting a little bit more weirdness based on the description, but I wasn't disappointed either.

Michel Renaud

Jan 11, 2019, 8:42:44 AM1/11/19
to The Metal Crypt
Venom

That was fun. I never knew the Marvel character except by name, so I had no preconceived ideas. I don’t know if the movie was well received.

Mjölnir

Jan 11, 2019, 9:14:14 AM1/11/19
to The Metal Crypt
It was largely hated, mostly due to it being butchered/neutered in post, "betraying" a character that wasn't terribly interesting to begin with, and overall being rather dumb in the wrong ways, at least from what I heard. Not having seen it myself, I can't say how accurate that all is,and since I don't plan to see it, I likely never will.

Michel Renaud

Jan 11, 2019, 9:55:49 AM1/11/19
to The Metal Crypt
Oh, it's a movie where you have to switch your brain off. Dumb little humourous dialogue between the host and Venom, stuff like that. It's not a masterpiece, I just found it funny because of the often sarcastic humour for the most part.

Michel Renaud

Jan 13, 2019, 9:11:59 AM1/13/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Hitman's Bodyguard.  An action comedy with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson. That was fun. Just the kind of movie I needed this weekend. :)

Michel Renaud

Jan 14, 2019, 7:04:24 AM1/14/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Saint (2017). That was fun.

Michel Renaud

Jan 18, 2019, 5:50:37 AM1/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
Avengers: Infinity War

Can’t say I really knew what the hell was going on in there. I must have missed a movie somewhere. But I always like the humour.

Mjölnir

Jan 18, 2019, 9:41:13 AM1/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
There's not really that much to follow. Thanos beats the crap out of the Avengers and everything that usually works in a Marvel movie fails because Thanos and Magic Rocks, fuck you.  It certainly has a lot of characters, but I found it was all pretty easy to follow since Thanos was treated as the real protagonist connecting it all together. However, I've seen all the movies, so maybe I just think that and fail to realize how much you need the other films to get these bigger events.

Michel Renaud

Jan 18, 2019, 6:39:35 PM1/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
Maybe I was just looking for something that isn't there.

MetalMike

Jan 20, 2019, 6:29:19 AM1/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
I had heard spoilers of the ending and it was not anything like I was expecting. In hindsight, it was very "comic book" and clearly there will be more to come.

Michel Renaud

Jan 21, 2019, 7:23:31 PM1/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
Close

It's a Netflix movie. I've seen better in the "bodyguard in charge of a rich teenager" genre, but it was OK. The execution could have been better.

MetalMike

Jan 21, 2019, 7:58:23 PM1/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
Speaking of Netflix movies, just finished The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Weird, but oddly entertaining, which kinda describes all Coen films.

MetalMike

Feb 5, 2019, 8:19:17 PM2/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Ant Man and the Wasp

Was it just me or was this not a great Marvel movie?

Paul Batteiger

Feb 5, 2019, 10:28:23 PM2/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
It was adequate.  Better than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 or Civil War.

Mjölnir

Feb 6, 2019, 5:34:32 AM2/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
There's a contentious opinion of Marvel films if I ever seen one.

MetalMike

Feb 6, 2019, 6:48:01 PM2/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
"Adequate" - that hit the nail on the head. I didn't hate it, I didn't think it was great.

brunoredsox

Feb 7, 2019, 6:42:24 AM2/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
Polar

Cool Tarantino-esque stuff. And Katheryn Winnick being sexy as fuck helps a lot

Michel Renaud

Mar 2, 2019, 7:17:31 PM3/2/19
to The Metal Crypt
Lords of Chaos

That was pretty bad. Very disjointed and barely tolerable acting for the most part.

Mjölnir

Mar 18, 2019, 11:57:03 PM3/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
Captain Marvel

Unfortunately, Captain Marvel did not get dusted in the end credits scene.  I know they weren't going to anyway, but it would have been really funny and you know it.
As for the movie, while not awful, it felt oddly small and even dated.  Not one I regret seeing, but not one I see myself ever watching again.

Paul Batteiger

Mar 19, 2019, 12:09:33 AM3/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
So she tore a starship apart with her bare hands, and that feels small to you?  I don't know what to tell you, man.

Mjölnir

Mar 19, 2019, 9:39:04 AM3/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 11:09:33 PM UTC-5, Paul Batteiger wrote:
So she tore a starship apart with her bare hands, and that feels small to you?  I don't know what to tell you, man.

No, that was pretty cool, I mean the film itself just felt kind of bare bones, sort of like it should have come out 10 years ago along with Iron Man and the like, as it has a lot of the problems those first-phase films had (janky pacing, weak script, dragging second act, etc.).  The was some good dialogue because Marvel film, but the characters just didn't interest me all that much. Again, it isn't terrible or anything, but compared to a lot of modern Marvel films, I can't help but feel it is a bit small in comparison.

MetalMike

Mar 19, 2019, 7:17:58 PM3/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
Green Book

Not bad, Mortensen is pretty convincing and funny but I wasn't as blown away as the Oscar hype would have had me believe.

Michel Renaud

Mar 23, 2019, 3:14:11 PM3/23/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Dirt

Out on Netflix yesterday. It’s OK. Not bad, not great. They crammed too much in 1h45m. They could have dropped a few things and still needed 2.5 hours to properly cover what they were trying to cover.

Mick Mars was fucking hilarious at times.

MetalMike

Mar 25, 2019, 6:42:03 PM3/25/19
to The Metal Crypt
I need to check out The Dirt. What you said was pretty much in line with what others I've spoken with are saying.

Mjölnir

Mar 25, 2019, 11:12:17 PM3/25/19
to The Metal Crypt
Us

It's certainly ambitious and unique, and I liked it quite a bit, but I feel that it's trying a little too hard to outdo Get Out.

MetalMike

Mar 26, 2019, 7:48:17 PM3/26/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Dirt

Yup, it was a movie. It wasn't awful or anything.

Paul Batteiger

Mar 29, 2019, 9:50:57 PM3/29/19
to The Metal Crypt
Aquaman

Pretty to look at, and the art design is off the charts, but it's kind of a mess.

MetalMike

Apr 3, 2019, 7:57:45 PM4/3/19
to The Metal Crypt
Behind the Curve

Documentary on Netflix about Flat Earthers. Sorry if you are a Flat Earther but this was laugh out loud hilarious.

Mjölnir

Apr 4, 2019, 5:37:20 AM4/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
Pfft, my response to Flat Earthers is "If the world is flat, how come my life keeps going downhill?"

Michel Renaud

Apr 4, 2019, 5:39:47 AM4/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off it by now.

QED

MetalMike

Apr 4, 2019, 6:06:37 PM4/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
Preaching to the choir, gentlemen. But if you want to see folks who are 100% sure they are right fail and backpedal on camera, it is totally worth watching.

Mjölnir

Apr 9, 2019, 3:39:21 PM4/9/19
to The Metal Crypt
Shazam!

Hot damn, not only is it a DC film that's good, it's also one that may be among the best superhero movies period!

Michel Renaud

Apr 28, 2019, 8:28:04 AM4/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
Lucy

Over the top but kind of interesting until they really overdo it in the last part of the movie. Scarlett Johansson saves this by playing it badass. I think this would have been pretty bad with someone else playing the role.

Mjölnir

Apr 30, 2019, 12:08:51 AM4/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
Avengers: Endgame

An excellent end to nearly a decade of films....but there are scenes where Hulk dabs and Thor plays Fortnite, so I hate it.

Paul Batteiger

May 2, 2019, 10:30:37 PM5/2/19
to The Metal Crypt
Finally saw Endgame.

Michel Renaud

May 19, 2019, 11:29:15 AM5/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
Avengers: Endgame.

First time in many years that I didn't miss a couple of days of work after seeing a movie in the theatre. Nice to see that chronic pain almost gone. However, all those ads (and LOUD) before the movie are such a pain in the ass, I don't really feel like doing this again.

I saw it in IMAX 3D. I saw Iron Man 3 in 3D years ago and thought the 3D there was just gimmicky and distracting, but in Endgame it was well done.

Mjölnir

Jun 5, 2019, 9:43:36 AM6/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Godzilla: King of the Monsters

This is probably the purest and grandest expression of a monster film I've ever seen, warts and all.

Michel Renaud

Jun 5, 2019, 7:37:43 PM6/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Mission:Impossible Fallout

That was fun.

MetalMike

Jun 8, 2019, 4:56:43 PM6/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
Going tonight and cannot wait. Tomorrow I take my daughter to the local indie theater for our 4th annual father/daughter Jaws viewing. Movie Monster weekend :)

Mjölnir

Jun 25, 2019, 10:54:50 PM6/25/19
to The Metal Crypt
Toy Story 4

Good enough, but about as unnecessary as you'd expect.

Michel Renaud

Jun 28, 2019, 8:13:54 PM6/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Wolf's Call

A French movie on Netflix that mostly takes place on a submarine during tensions in Europe. Pretty good.

Mjölnir

Jul 6, 2019, 11:24:05 PM7/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
Spiderman: Far From Home

Probably the best non-animated Spiderman movie to date.

Nosrac1691

Jul 8, 2019, 3:54:30 PM7/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
Not a movie but I binged the hell out of Stranger Things 3 on July 4th.

MetalMike

Jul 8, 2019, 6:56:45 PM7/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
I just had the chance to watch the first episode, looking forward to the rest

Bob S

Jul 9, 2019, 9:44:34 AM7/9/19
to The Metal Crypt
We just finished season one, good show!

Mjölnir

Jul 25, 2019, 3:24:53 PM7/25/19
to The Metal Crypt
Megamind

One of Dreamworks better movies, actually.  Shame it came out at the same time as Despicable Me and got overshadowed by it.

MetalMike

Jul 26, 2019, 6:27:59 PM7/26/19
to The Metal Crypt
Not a movie, but watching Black Spot on Netflix, a Sargon recommendation.

Beautiful scenery and creepy, supernatural undercurrent. Reminds me of early X-Files.

Mjölnir

Jul 30, 2019, 8:24:08 PM7/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
One Upon a Time in Hollywood

A well acted, well shot slow burn cultural homage whose ending escalates the proceedings very quickly.

Michel Renaud

Aug 18, 2019, 7:18:03 AM8/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
Bon Cop Bad Cop 2

Not as funny as the first one but close enough. I think I liked this one better.

Mjölnir

Oct 8, 2019, 12:21:50 AM10/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
Joker

An excellent performance from Phoenix and some top notch presentation goes a long way in hiding how devoid of meaning this movie is.  Pretty bad.

Mjölnir

Nov 4, 2019, 3:29:37 PM11/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

First time seeing this.  Among the few horror films I've seen that actually unnerved me, mostly because it almost feels like a well-shot snuff film.

MetalMike

Nov 9, 2019, 6:09:49 AM11/9/19
to The Metal Crypt
JoJo Rabbit

Nosrac1691

Nov 13, 2019, 11:46:15 AM11/13/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Lighthouse

Mjölnir

Nov 14, 2019, 11:47:27 PM11/14/19
to The Metal Crypt
Doctor Sleep

Despite its flaws, I found this compelling and oddly affecting.

MetalMike

Nov 30, 2019, 1:24:47 PM11/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
I've heard good things about it from a couple of King fanatics.

I want to try and see Ford vs. Ferrari. Always love to see Bale lose himself in a role.

Mjölnir

Dec 13, 2019, 3:40:04 PM12/13/19
to The Metal Crypt
It Comes at Night

Well, this was grim and unpleasant.  Quite good.

Michel Renaud

Dec 14, 2019, 6:51:00 AM12/14/19
to The Metal Crypt
Sounds like my days at work, except for the quite good part.

MetalMike

Dec 14, 2019, 8:24:47 PM12/14/19
to The Metal Crypt
6 Underground on Netflix

Like a Mission: Impossible movie but with even less basis in reality. Michael Bay directed so the action scenes are gorgeous and lots of shit blows up in spectacular fashion.

Mjölnir

Dec 18, 2019, 4:40:16 PM12/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
A Silent Voice

Michel Renaud

Dec 22, 2019, 7:44:50 AM12/22/19
to The Metal Crypt
I tried watching it last night and gave up after about 25 minutes. Too much yelling for the sake of yelling.

Nosrac1691

Dec 25, 2019, 12:08:26 AM12/25/19
to The Metal Crypt
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Lord what a mess.

Mjölnir

Dec 25, 2019, 2:43:47 PM12/25/19
to The Metal Crypt
A Christmas Story

After five years of trying, finally got someone to sit down and watch this with me on Christmas.

Michel Renaud

Dec 26, 2019, 7:48:49 AM12/26/19
to The Metal Crypt
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

It was good overall though it was missing something. Can't put my finger on it.

MetalMike

Dec 28, 2019, 12:07:04 PM12/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
Had tickets for last night but accidentally bought a 3D showing and between my glasses and motion sickness, fuck that. All the other showings were sold out so will regroup and try for New Year's Day.

Finally finished Avengers: Endgame

I found this predictable and with too many plot holes to really enjoy

Michel Renaud

Dec 28, 2019, 3:58:29 PM12/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
The 3D glasses are annoying when you already have glasses. They fit, but after a while they weigh on the nose.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (doesn’t get old)
Saving Private Ryan (first half or so - I was too tired to watch it all)

MetalMike

Dec 29, 2019, 6:34:40 AM12/29/19
to The Metal Crypt
Yeah, that's what I want when I've paid nearly $18 for a movie ticket - to have something annoying on my face the whole time.

Raiders is in my Top 3 All Time Movie favorite list with Casablanca and The King's Speech

Michel Renaud

Dec 29, 2019, 8:01:29 AM12/29/19
to The Metal Crypt
I finally watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. I guess the other two are next.

Just like The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I had no fucking idea what was going on.

MetalMike

Dec 29, 2019, 1:55:24 PM12/29/19
to The Metal Crypt
That's because Jackson tried to take what was a children's story and turn it in to another Lord of the Rings (which he did a spectacular job with). He completely changed the tone of the story, messed with the characters' motivation and released an abortion of SFX with no logical story line to hold it together. Don't expect the next two to make sense, either.

Michel Renaud

Dec 30, 2019, 8:34:09 AM12/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
The Lord of the Rings was messy for me as well, but I’ve never read the books.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

That was better than I expected. I had always stayed away from those movies.

MetalMike

Dec 30, 2019, 6:35:27 PM12/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
I love the Harry Potter movies but that has a lot to do with having a child that I was able to read the books to so there will always be that link for me.

If you haven't read or didn't like The Hobbit (the book), The Lord of the Rings books will be a challenge. Personally, they are some of my favorites, to be reread every few years.

Michel Renaud

Jan 1, 2020, 8:23:07 AM1/1/20
to The Metal Crypt
Thunderball

I read a book about the bombing of the Falklands Islands back in 1982 and how much of an ordeal it had been to get Vulcan bombers to and from there. The book made a reference to the movie. Old James Bond movies still kick ass.

MetalMike

Jan 2, 2020, 7:17:14 PM1/2/20
to The Metal Crypt
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Meh. I've seen Return of the Jedi already.

Michel Renaud

Jan 4, 2020, 7:30:17 AM1/4/20
to The Metal Crypt
Rambo: Last Blood

I had zero expectations and it was unbelievably bad. I’ve seen B-movies better than this. Of course, anything involving Mexican gangs always sucks. I suggest you only watch this if someone is paying you good money to watch it.

Mjölnir

Jan 5, 2020, 5:50:31 PM1/5/20
to The Metal Crypt
Little Women

MetalMike

Jan 16, 2020, 9:40:21 PM1/16/20
to The Metal Crypt
The Lighthouse

That was really weird. Beautifully shot and Dafoe was brilliant but man, I was scratching my head on the way out of the theater.

Michel Renaud

Jan 19, 2020, 7:50:42 AM1/19/20
to The Metal Crypt
Terminator: Dark Fate

An OK popcorn flick, but not something I'd watch again "willingly".

Sarah Connors is too angry and bitchy the whole time. The first scene with her was kind of promising, but it all went downhill from there.
Not a fan of Mackenzie Davis. Didn't like her in the series Halt and Catch Fire (first time I've seen her), didn't like her in other roles she's played since.
Humans aren't indestructible. You don't take that kind of punishment and walk away.

MetalMike

Feb 13, 2020, 6:38:34 PM2/13/20
to The Metal Crypt
Saw Parasite last Tuesday

Dark movie, not really sure how it got best picture but that's just one of the reasons they don't allow me to vote

Saw all of the Oscar-nominated animated shorts (which all pretty much sucked) and live-action shorts (which were almost all excellent)

Michel Renaud

Apr 18, 2020, 6:58:56 PM4/18/20
to The Metal Crypt
Zombieland: Double Tap

That was fun. It’s on Amazon Prime Video, for those who have it.

MetalMike

Apr 20, 2020, 7:35:04 PM4/20/20
to The Metal Crypt
Perhaps will check it out.

Just finished Baptiste on PBS. Quite gritty crime drama from the writers of Missing

Mjölnir

Apr 30, 2020, 5:14:47 PM4/30/20
to The Metal Crypt
Under the Skin

Odd movie, but damn good based on what I could parse on a first viewing.

Michel Renaud

Apr 30, 2020, 6:56:55 PM4/30/20
to The Metal Crypt
Official Secrets

That's on Amazon Video. It's about a British GCHQ employee who blew the whistle on proposed tactics to sway the UN Security Council's vote in favour of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Michel Renaud

May 17, 2020, 7:59:02 AM5/17/20
to The Metal Crypt
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: That was last weekend after I got the Bluray. I had seen it on Christmas Day. It's OK, not great.

My Spy: On Amazon Video (I think it's an Amazon movie). Light comedy about a big tough CIA agent who has to surveil a mother and her witty 9-yr-old daughter.

Mjölnir

May 17, 2020, 5:49:39 PM5/17/20
to The Metal Crypt
Holidays

A horror/comedy anthology with stories that range from pretty good to laughably horrible.  Worth watching with friends online.

Paul Batteiger

May 20, 2020, 8:19:17 PM5/20/20
to The Metal Crypt
Underwater

Despite bad reviews, I thought this was really good.

Mjölnir

May 21, 2020, 11:23:51 AM5/21/20
to The Metal Crypt
Agreed.  Nothing amazing, but a solidly executed Alien-esque kind of horror film.

Mjölnir

May 26, 2020, 12:34:23 AM5/26/20
to The Metal Crypt
The Lighthouse
Excellent atmosphere, acting, and presentation make for an excellent movie indeed.

Uncut Gems
This one just got on Netflix, so I watched it with my aunt and uncle.  Pretty tense character study with Sandler giving what might be a career best performance.

Michel Renaud

May 31, 2020, 12:30:16 PM5/31/20
to The Metal Crypt
Snowpiercer

I fell asleep on this one years ago and again last night. Not because of the movie, but just because I was tired. At least I didn't sleep during the same parts. :) Pretty messed up stuff. I watched it because there's a new Snowpiercer series on Netflix that I'd like to check out and figured I needed to revisit the movie.

Mjölnir

Jul 11, 2020, 4:08:34 PM7/11/20
to The Metal Crypt
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Funny, but probably my least favorite of the old Python films.

Poltergeist
First viewing of this.  I was surprised with how much it ran the gamut from family sitcom to full-blown body horror, and I loved it,

Mjölnir

Sep 13, 2020, 12:10:45 AM9/13/20
to The Metal Crypt
The Pirate Movie

Saw this with some friends for a bad movie night.  Easily the worst Parody Movie I have ever seen.

Michel Renaud

Sep 13, 2020, 7:23:03 AM9/13/20
to The Metal Crypt
I usually can't stand those parodies.

Mjölnir

Sep 13, 2020, 11:31:54 AM9/13/20
to The Metal Crypt
Oh no, the vast majority are awful, but this is somehow worse than the rest.  Makes Disaster Movie look like The Naked Gun in comparison.

Michel Renaud

Sep 14, 2020, 6:14:54 PM9/14/20
to The Metal Crypt
Ouch!

Mjölnir

Nov 1, 2020, 1:46:46 AM11/1/20
to The Metal Crypt
Mazes and Monsters

Bad Movie Night for Halloween.  I remember this being bad, but I forgot it was merely the boring kind of bad.