Top 10 Albums for 2019

MetalMike

Dec 28, 2019, 12:12:29 PM12/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
This is always an interesting exercise, looking back at the 100+ albums I've reviewed each year to see which ones I liked most when I reviewed them and which have stuck around since. Here's my Top 11 albums released in 2019 that I reviewed (links included). I couldn't decide between the last two, which is why my list goes to 11.

1. Seax – Fallout Rituals

To these ears, the perfect blend of black and thrash resulting in a definitive speed metal album

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11275

2. Atlantean Kodex – The Course of Empire

An album that will always live in the shadow of its predecessor, the sublime The White Goddess. I maintain that if you heard this album without ever hearing another Atlantean Kodex album, you’d be blown away

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11417

3. Arch/Matheos – Winter Ethereal

Original Fates Warning vocalist and current guitarist release a near-perfect follow up to their classic 80s output

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11218

4. Arctos – Beyond the Grasp of Mortal Hands

A rising star in the cold, wind-swept epic black metal scene

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11465

5. & 6. Tie between Weapon U.K. – Ghosts of War and Diamond Head – The Coffin Train

Two venerable bands still in top form after 40 years in the business, reminding everyone it was called the New Wave of British Heavy METAL for a reason

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11387

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11228

7. Bewitcher – Under the Witching Cross

More black/thrash/SPEED metal done right and a band the kills live

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11175

8. Stormwarrior – Norsemen

Power metal is one of those genres that can perhaps get stale a bit easier than some others but Stormwarrior defy that with axes, spears and hammers on their sixth album

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11575

9. Booze Control – Forgotten Lands

Disregard the odd name and enjoy this new band’s take on classic 80s heavy metal

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11268

10. & 11. Tie between Ancient Bards – Origine – The Black Crystal Sword Saga Part 2 and Crystal Viper – Tales of Fire and Ice

Both bands have been consistently releasing albums that have been a notch or two below their career highs, but both are back to form with their 2019 releases

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11142

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=11559

Luxi

Dec 29, 2019, 4:38:44 AM12/29/19
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
So many good/very good albums were released in 2019, so nailing down the 10 best ones out of them, is tough for me really...

Anyways, the best COMEBACK album of 2019 for me was Possessed's "Revelations of Oblivion". Obviously this is not "Seven Churches", but I was still very impressed by their new album. Jeff and co. still know how to do it right...

The best album of the year title, however, goes to Insomnium. "Heart Like a Grave" continues the band's never-ending saga to write quality albums that always make me wonder how on earth they are able to top themselves with each new release they put out. They are such an amazing act...!!!

Then, the following albums being listed below have been in pretty heavy rotation for me this year (in no particular order): Blood Incantation "Hidden History of Human Race", Warchest "Sentenced Since Conception", Critical Defiance "Misconception", Xentrix "Bury the Pain", Diamond Head "The Coffin Train", Vargrav "Reign in Supreme Darkness", Nile "Vile Nilotic Rites", Vulture "Ghastly Waves & Battered Graves", Mayhem "Daemon", Nocturnus AD "Paradox", Belzebubs "Pantheon of the Nightside Gods", Death Angel "Humanicide", Decadence (Swe) "Six Tape", and Abbath "Outstrider". I am sure I forgot a bunch of albums that I should have added on my list, but hell... It's early morning and I have only consumed my first cup of coffee so far. I really need to awake m brain by some extra cups more in order to remember what was released this year.

Also, the following EPs deserve a mention: Ripper "Sensory Stagnation" and Aggravator "Aggravator".

brunoredsox

Jan 10, 2020, 8:32:27 AM1/10/20
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
Since I'm a horrible human being and I can't do a simple top 10 anymore in fear of leaving killer stuff behind and betraying the metal world, My OCD screamed that I should keep doing top tens by genre. So here's what I enjoyed the most from all genres I consider relevant to Metal; I've added an extra flavor and also made a top 10 from my home country. The albums are in order of preference:

HEAVY METAL

Atlantean Kodex - The Course of Empire

Traveler - Traveler

Riot City - Burn the Night

Terminus - A Single Point of Light

RAM - The Throne Within

Assassin's Blade - Gather Darkness

Ravensire - A Stone Engraved in Red

Idle Hands - Mana

Screamer - Highway of Heroes

Sanhedrin - The Poisoner

POWER METAL

Freedom Call - M.E.T.A.L.

Eternity’s End - Unyielding

Galneryus - Into the Purgatory

Gladenfold - When Gods Descend

Frozen Crown - Crowned in Frost

Warrior Path - Warrior Path

Paladin - Ascension

Paragon - Controlled Demolition

Elvenking - Reader of the Runes - Divination

Sabaton - The Great War

DEATH METAL

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race

Aephanemer - Prokopton

Schammasch - Hearts Of No Light

Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion

Gatecreeper - Deserted

Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance

Insomnium - Heart like a Grave

Hate - Auric Gates of Veles

Xoth - Interdimensional Invocations

In Mourning - Garden of Storms

BLACK METAL

Borknagar - True North (ok, not black, but where the hell should I put this?!)

Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia

Mizmor - Cairn

Wormwood - Nattarvet

Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen

Mgla - Age Of Excuse

Saor - Forgotten Paths

Vanum - Ageless Fire

Kampfar - Ofidians Manifest

Black Flame - Necrogenesis: Chants from the Grave

THRASH METAL

Protector - Summon the Hordes

Critical Defiance - Misconception

Inculter - Fatal Visions

Nocturnal Breed - We Only Came for the Violence

Legion of the Damned - Slaves of the Shadow Realm

Widower - Cataclysmic Sorcery

Algebra - Pulse

War Curse - Erradication

Exumer - Hostile Defiance

Suicidal Angels - Years of Aggression

DOOM METAL

Funeral Fukk - Carnal Confessions

Crypt Sermon - The Ruins of Fading Light

Swallow the Sun - When a Shadow is Forced Into the Light

Sun O ))) - Life Metal

Runemagick - Into Desolate Realms

Officium Triste - The Death of Gaia

Monasterium - Church of Bones

Spirit Adrift - Divided by Darkness

Isole - Dystopia

Architects of Aeon - Koloss

PROG METAL

Wilderun - Veil of Imagination

Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal

Vanden Plas - The Ghost Xperiment - Awakening

Soen - Lotus

Myrath - Shehili

Leprous - Pitfalls

Devin Townsend - Empath

Alcest - Spiritual Instinct

Evergrey - The Atlantic

Tanagra - Meridiem

BRAZIL ALBUMS

Hellish War - Wine of Gods

Mystifier - Protogoni Mavri Magiki Dynasteia

Pagan Throne - The Way to the Northern Gates

Warpath - A Hell to Behold

Dark Tower - Obedientia

Grey Wolf - The Last Journey of an Old Viking

Stress - Devastação

Yuri Fulone - Fernão Dias Paes

Nervochaos - Ablaze

Axecuter - Surrounded by Decay