Current Playlist

Michel Renaud

Dec 28, 2018, 10:03:10 AM12/28/18
to The Metal Crypt
Asgrauw - Gronspech
Moenen of Xezbeth - Ancient Spells of Darkness...
Gorgoroth - Pentagram

Michel Renaud

Dec 28, 2018, 7:13:52 PM12/28/18
to The Metal Crypt
Primal Fear - Apocalypse

MetalMike

Dec 28, 2018, 8:00:34 PM12/28/18
to The Metal Crypt
OK, I may have figured this google thing out.

Brothers of Metal - Prophecy of Ragnarok
Exxxecutioner - Death Sentence

Michel Renaud

Dec 31, 2018, 10:40:42 AM12/31/18
to The Metal Crypt
Ectovoid - Inner Death
Abhorrence - Megalohydrothalassophobic (errr.. What?)

animal_supreme

Dec 31, 2018, 11:05:55 AM12/31/18
to The Metal Crypt
Meliah Rage - Idol Hands

ReignInBloodyGore

Jan 5, 2019, 9:42:03 PM1/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Watain- Casus Luciferi
Visigoth- The Revenant King
Vader- The Empire

-First post in the Google Forum...hope I did this right...haha

Michel Renaud

Jan 6, 2019, 10:13:21 AM1/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
Black Mass - Warlust
Primal Fear - Armageddon
Abhorrence - Megalohydroth... oh.. fuck off
Angerot - The Splendid Iniquity
Norilsk - The Idea of North

Luxi

Jan 7, 2019, 1:49:15 AM1/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
SULPHUR AEON - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos

HOLY HELL... WHAT A KICKASS ALBUM THIS TRULY IS!!!!!!!!
Message has been deleted

brunoredsox

Jan 7, 2019, 6:34:20 AM1/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
Eternity's End - Unyielding

This is fucking ace. A mix of Metalium, Symphony X and Lost Horizon, way better than the first, which was already awesome!

Michel Renaud

Jan 7, 2019, 7:39:55 AM1/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
Introtyl - Creation of Insanity

All-female death metal from Mexico. I saw them live in mid-November. Good stuff.

MetalMike

Jan 7, 2019, 7:07:32 PM1/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
That Abhorrence is pretty good, as I recall.

MetalMike

Jan 7, 2019, 7:08:24 PM1/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
Arion - Life Is Not Beautiful

This is some good, Serenity-inspired power metal

metal_xxx

Jan 8, 2019, 4:00:59 AM1/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
Holy Terror - Mind Wars
Holy Terror - Terror and Submission

Easily top 3 thrash albums of all time for me.

Luxi

Jan 8, 2019, 4:17:19 AM1/8/19
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
BEAST IN BLACK - From Hell with Love

This album's full of very catchy melodies, killer hooks, fantastic guitar work of both Anton and Kasperi, powerful vocal parts with one of the most amazing vocal ranges in metal these days (Yannis is a true chameleon in using his full vocal capacity), and stuff. Do not let "Sweet True Lies" fool you too much though. ;o)

MetalMike

Jan 8, 2019, 6:27:09 PM1/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
"Sweet True Lies" is way too commercial. I'm hoping the rest is a harder and more metal.

Michel Renaud

Jan 8, 2019, 7:20:35 PM1/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
A bit too commercial for me.

Paul Batteiger

Jan 10, 2019, 4:19:36 AM1/10/19
to The Metal Crypt
Got the new Usurper as a promo.

Mjölnir

Jan 10, 2019, 5:33:13 AM1/10/19
to The Metal Crypt
Oooh, is it the glorious return that we all hoped it would be?

Michel Renaud

Jan 10, 2019, 6:28:28 AM1/10/19
to The Metal Crypt
Freakin' tease.

Paul Batteiger

Jan 10, 2019, 1:33:56 PM1/10/19
to The Metal Crypt
It sounds good, though not up to the old stuff.  Production is not as heavy as I wanted.

Michel Renaud

Jan 10, 2019, 2:17:15 PM1/10/19
to The Metal Crypt
Hmmm Hmmm... Well, I haven't listened to them in a while, so I'm looking forward to it.

NP: Croc Noir - Mort  (French black metal)

Michel Renaud

Jan 11, 2019, 9:57:08 AM1/11/19
to The Metal Crypt
Gorgon - Call from Unknown Depths
Gorgon - The Veil of Darkness
Croc Noir - Mort

I guess I'm on a French black metal roll.

Luxi

Jan 11, 2019, 10:12:56 AM1/11/19
to The Metal Crypt

Luxi

Jan 11, 2019, 2:56:03 PM1/11/19
to The Metal Crypt
NP: Narjahanam - Wa ma Khhufiya Kana A'atham

Awesome Black/Death Metal with Middle Eastern influences from Bahrain.

This stuff (almost) tempts me to do some embarrassing belly dancing motions, hahaha!! :D

ReignInBloodyGore

Jan 12, 2019, 7:59:00 AM1/12/19
to The Metal Crypt
Ice Sword- Dragon Magic

I’m not in love with the vocalist as he doesn’t sound all that strong or anything, but the songwriting is very solid and the guitar work is great. Nice new traditional heavy metal.

Eternal_Sorrow

Jan 14, 2019, 4:36:27 AM1/14/19
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
Slay My Sanity - Narayama

Now this is how you do Melodic Death Metal, reminds me alot of 90's Death Metal but alot more melodic! Solid as fuck!

brunoredsox

Jan 14, 2019, 6:27:36 AM1/14/19
to The Metal Crypt
Overkill - The Wings of War
Booze Control - Forgotten Lands
Rotting Christ - The Heretics

Rotting Christ is exactly like their last...strange stuff, but ok.

ReignInBloodyGore

Jan 14, 2019, 7:30:08 AM1/14/19
to The Metal Crypt
Autopsy- Macabre Eternal (“Deliver Me From Sanity” is probably my favorite Autopsy track ever)
Dissection- Storm of the Light’s Bane
Iron Maiden- Killers

Luxi

Jan 15, 2019, 11:13:39 AM1/15/19
to The Metal Crypt
CONJURE - Releasing the Mighty Conjure

Excellent old-school heavy/speed metal from Ecuador, with raspy vocals.

Paul Batteiger

Jan 16, 2019, 3:09:29 AM1/16/19
to The Metal Crypt
Pagan Reign - Once Again

Yes, a new PR album, and yes, it is good.

MetalMike

Jan 16, 2019, 5:36:09 AM1/16/19
to The Metal Crypt
Killers is one of my favorite Maiden albums.

Luxi

Jan 16, 2019, 9:38:33 AM1/16/19
to The Metal Crypt
SAVATAGE - Hall of the Mountain King

Such an awesome album from them, one of my favorites from the band actually.

ReignInBloodyGore

Jan 17, 2019, 3:34:51 AM1/17/19
to The Metal Crypt
MetalMike, if I remember right, you’re a big fan of Somewhere in Time. Is that your favorite Maiden album? Killers is mine.

OT: Witching Hour- And Silent Grief Shadows the Passing Moon

This album is a major surprise for me. I’m familiar with Witching Hour’s previous album, which was definite Venom worship but within that newer black/thrash trendy soundscape. It was stellar. But this new album here...it feels very different. It’s atmospheric. Repetitive but incredibly rewarding. My first listen left me thinking I’ll never listen to it again. And for some stupid reason I did listen to it again, and I fell in love with it. I’m on my 5th listen within 24 hours. It’s a grower, and I can’t recommend it enough. It has elements of NWOBHM and maybe even some punk in it too. It’s a genre defying album, and very tasty. Tracks are long, but they develop. Rewarding listen.

MetalMike

Jan 17, 2019, 9:24:43 PM1/17/19
to The Metal Crypt
Powerslave is my favorite. Somewhere in Time is probably my least favorite of the first seven Maiden albums.

Paul Batteiger

Jan 19, 2019, 10:12:11 PM1/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
Blasphemy.

Nosrac1691

Jan 20, 2019, 1:49:40 AM1/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
I've always considered Killers to be the weakest of the first seven, though I still like them all.

Paul Batteiger

Jan 20, 2019, 1:53:24 AM1/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
Piece of Mind, for my money.

Mjölnir

Jan 20, 2019, 5:41:58 AM1/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
Seconded

MetalMike

Jan 20, 2019, 6:25:55 AM1/20/19
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
A fie on you, sir. A fie, I say!

OT

Herman Frank - Fight the Fear

This is surprisingly not sucky

Luxi

Jan 23, 2019, 10:08:53 AM1/23/19
to The Metal Crypt
MARSHALL LAW - Razorhead

Sharp, hooky and riff-tastic Heavy Metal... just love this type of stuff!

ReignInBloodyGore

Jan 24, 2019, 2:33:43 AM1/24/19
to The Metal Crypt
I am still jamming that new Witching Hour album. Listened to it all the way through two more times today. Those riffs are etched into my brain, and the atmosphere is so inviting.
Also listening to:
Angel Sword- Rebels Beyond the Pale
Wrathblade- God of the Deep Unleashed
Funeral Mist- Hekatomb

Mjölnir

Jan 24, 2019, 5:39:36 AM1/24/19
to The Metal Crypt
Kamelot-The Fourth Legacy
Primordial-Spirit the Earth Aflame
Primordial-Storm Before Calm

MetalMike

Jan 24, 2019, 5:10:04 PM1/24/19
to The Metal Crypt
Avantasia - Moonglow

Damn, Sammet knows how to write power metal.

MetalMike

Jan 26, 2019, 10:56:22 AM1/26/19
to The Metal Crypt
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Classic. Trying to decide if I want to see them open for Queensryche. I've never gotten in to the Ray Alder albums but the show is in New England and I think Arch still lives in CT. so who knows? :)

MetalMike

Jan 28, 2019, 5:25:28 PM1/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
Pale Divine - Pale Divine

Nice, crunchy doom

Metal Inquisitor - Panopticon

solid 80s trad metal

Michel Renaud

Jan 28, 2019, 7:41:38 PM1/28/19
to The Metal Crypt
Thunderdome - The Man of Rolling Thunder (on Bandcamp)

That's the next release from Temple of Mystery Records. Pretty cool stuff. It's a local band but I had never heard of them before.

ReignInBloodyGore

Jan 29, 2019, 3:42:25 AM1/29/19
to The Metal Crypt
Currently obsessing over High on Fire releases:

High on Fire- Electric Messiah
High on Fire- Blessed Black Wings
High on Fire- Luminiferous

Astrophobos- Malice of Antiquity (Stellar Black Metal release)
Malevolent Creation- The 13th Beast

MetalMike

Jan 29, 2019, 6:27:25 PM1/29/19
to The Metal Crypt
I thought that looked pretty cool, too.

And after listening to Pale Divine's new one, I can say Sargon's review is pretty spot-on.

Paul Batteiger

Jan 30, 2019, 3:31:59 AM1/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
Traveler - Traveler

Anybody else get this promo?  It's fucking killer.

Michel Renaud

Jan 30, 2019, 6:12:31 AM1/30/19
to The Metal Crypt
I got it, but I haven’t listened to it yet.

NP: Chainbreaker - Lethal Desire

MetalMike

Jan 30, 2019, 4:34:50 PM1/30/19
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
Michel and I both reviewed their split with Coronary and they also have a great song on Annick's Trapped Under Ice compilation. I had high hopes for this one, sounds like it is going to live up to them

Mjölnir

Jan 31, 2019, 6:29:50 PM1/31/19
to The Metal Crypt
Bruce Dickinson-The Chemical Wedding

Not sure this is the masterwork some claim it is, but it's a damn fine album either way.

Paul Batteiger

Feb 2, 2019, 3:16:46 AM2/2/19
to The Metal Crypt
Saor - Forgotten Paths

7091734c08fac8af28d46df82a794af2.jpg

Michel Renaud

Feb 2, 2019, 11:40:44 AM2/2/19
to The Metal Crypt
Nazrak - Cantiques funèbres

MetalMike

Feb 2, 2019, 5:24:45 PM2/2/19
to The Metal Crypt
Impellitteri - The Nature of the Beast

This kicks ass, just like the last one

Michel Renaud

Feb 2, 2019, 6:38:35 PM2/2/19
to The Metal Crypt
Overkill - Live in Overhausen

I watched the Blu-ray this afternoon. It's cool, but they inserted commentaries here and there between songs, which kind of kills the show experience.

Michel Renaud

Feb 3, 2019, 9:12:54 AM2/3/19
to The Metal Crypt
Overkill - The Wings of War

Paul Batteiger

Feb 4, 2019, 1:02:40 PM2/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
Holy Martyr - Darkness Will Prevail
Cloven Hoof - Who Mourns for the Morning Star

Two kickass releases I somehow missed.

Michel Renaud

Feb 4, 2019, 3:46:18 PM2/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
Death - Human
Death - Individual Thought Patterns

Eternal_Sorrow

Feb 4, 2019, 7:28:48 PM2/4/19
to The Metal Crypt
Sworn - Dark Stars and Eternity

No idea how I missed this last year, one of the best black metal releases!!!

Duffman

Feb 5, 2019, 2:29:29 AM2/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Icy Steel - Guest on Earth

They've gone for a more midpaced epic sound since their first couple of releases. Production is good though.

Michel Renaud

Feb 5, 2019, 6:50:00 AM2/5/19
to The Metal Crypt
Rotting Christ - The Heretics

PetrifiedNapkin

Feb 6, 2019, 9:13:10 AM2/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
Swallow the Sun - When a shadow is forced into the light

Great album, very different StS though. If you're expecting Hope pt2, this isn't it. Approach this with the mindset of it being an  Trees of Eternity - Hour of the Nightengale tribute. Very melodic and moody. Its got a lot of different parts to it though that keep it interesting and diverse. I'd recommend starting with the song Upon the water. Here on the black earth is probably the best song on here.

brunoredsox

Feb 6, 2019, 11:28:58 AM2/6/19
to the-met...@googlegroups.com
Ison Fire - Beyond the Void
Booze Control - Forgotten Lands

MetalMike

Feb 6, 2019, 6:45:10 PM2/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
Both in the review queue. Booze Control is a pretty stupid band name but the music sounded cool when I was checking out the link.

Michel Renaud

Feb 6, 2019, 6:51:17 PM2/6/19
to The Metal Crypt
Nazrak - Cantiques funèbres
1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind
1914 - Eschatology of War

brunoredsox

Feb 7, 2019, 6:40:13 AM2/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
Awful name, but the sound is really cool. Not feeling Iron Fire, though.

Today:

Malamorte - Hell for All
Gorgon - The Veil of Darkness

Duffman

Feb 7, 2019, 7:35:53 PM2/7/19
to The Metal Crypt
Dodsfall - Døden Skal Ikke Vente
Ondfødt - Dödsrikets Kallelse
Pensées Nocturnes - Grand Guignol Orchestra (unsettling stuff)

MetalMike

Feb 8, 2019, 7:56:53 PM2/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
Traveler - Traveler

This is excellent

ReignInBloodyGore

Feb 8, 2019, 9:18:55 PM2/8/19
to The Metal Crypt
@Metalmike: absolutely! I listened to that Traveler release two days ago on Bandcamp and really enjoyed it a lot.

I’m listening to Swallow the Sun’s new album, When a Shadow Is Forced Into the Light. Didn’t expect this to impress me or keep me as engaged as it did, being unfamiliar with this band’s material. I understand this album is a bit of a tribute to Aleah (spelling?) from Trees of Eternity or something along those lines. Very few new albums do I listen to front to end and then allow it to jump back to track 1 for more listening. This one I feel I can get lost in for days.

Paul Batteiger

Feb 9, 2019, 3:39:34 AM2/9/19
to The Metal Crypt
I said.

Luxi

Feb 9, 2019, 4:38:12 AM2/9/19
to The Metal Crypt
SILVER BULLET - Mooncult

Top-notch, symphonic and dark heavy metal from Finland that surely will appeal the fans of Iced Earth, Candlemass and King Diamond. I was totally blown by this album to be absolutely sincere with all of you...

MetalMike

Feb 9, 2019, 2:15:07 PM2/9/19
to The Metal Crypt
Yes, you did. That was the reason I started listening once I was done with what I was reviewing at the time you posted. I expected it to be good but not this good.

Sinbreed - IV

This is solid power metal that doesn't skimp on the speed. The singer is a guy but it sounds like a woman.

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 3:39:34 AM UTC-5, Paul Batteiger wrote:
I said.

Michel Renaud

Feb 10, 2019, 12:42:24 PM2/10/19
to The Metal Crypt
Gluttony - Cult of the Unborn

This is not the gargly brutal death/grind that the band's name first led me to believe. Pretty cool death metal.

Mjölnir

Feb 12, 2019, 9:50:33 AM2/12/19
to The Metal Crypt
Gaerea-Unsettling Whispers

If you took the ferocity of early Behemoth and threw in the despairing misanthropy and atmosphere of early Xasthur, you might get something close to this hateful, child murdering album.  One of the best Black Metal releases of last year.

Michel Renaud

Feb 12, 2019, 6:43:24 PM2/12/19
to The Metal Crypt
Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder

metal_xxx

Feb 15, 2019, 1:09:29 AM2/15/19
to The Metal Crypt
Mgla - Exercises in Futility

These guys are always brought up but I never checked them out until now. Holy shit this is good. Bought a vinyl and a t-shirt online after listening to one song.

Also cannot wait to hear the new Saor, how is it Sargon?

Paul Batteiger

Feb 15, 2019, 1:15:13 AM2/15/19
to The Metal Crypt
It's good :)

metal_xxx

Feb 15, 2019, 3:54:14 PM2/15/19
to The Metal Crypt
Some decent releases today which I have been listening to:

Avantasia - Moonglow

Solid, as expected. Not a big fan of power metal these days, but if you get Geoff Tate to sing on your album, I'm going to give it a spin.

Rotting Christ - The Heretics

More of the same ritualistic stuff that they have been doing since Aealo. Solid, but you will have heard every riff on this one before.

Saor - Forgotten Paths

Now this is the shit. Way too short though.

MetalMike

Feb 15, 2019, 7:15:35 PM2/15/19
to The Metal Crypt
Tate turns in an excellent performance and Sammet is money when it comes to power metal.

OT - Rhapsody of Fire - The Eighth Mountain

Nothing you haven't heard before but really quite good if you like Italian, neo-classical pm

Paul Batteiger

Feb 16, 2019, 12:22:29 PM2/16/19
to The Metal Crypt
Fates Warning - Theories of Flight

Finally digging into this and it is actually really good, it's just very different from their classic stuff.  Darkness on a Different Light is still underwhelming, but this is way better.  "The Light and Shade of Things" is a first-rate FW song.

MetalMike

Feb 16, 2019, 8:16:41 PM2/16/19
to The Metal Crypt
I was just checking it out on Youtube. It didn't blow me away but that's based on only one listen...

Paul Batteiger

Feb 17, 2019, 4:19:13 AM2/17/19
to The Metal Crypt
Autumn - Stacking Smoke

Finally, a worthy follow-up to Altitude.

Mjölnir

Feb 17, 2019, 8:39:55 AM2/17/19
to The Metal Crypt
As someone just getting into Altitude, what made the follow up underwhelming?

Paul Batteiger

Feb 17, 2019, 11:23:26 AM2/17/19
to The Metal Crypt
I just found Cold Comfort really slow and dull, with mopey pacing and not any really good melodies.  I've tried several times since to get into it and it just does not do it for me.  This new one sounds way better.

MetalMike

Feb 17, 2019, 7:19:39 PM2/17/19
to The Metal Crypt
I was just noting on another thread how dissatisfied you were with the Autumn album that followed Altitude. Glad to hear there is new music that is better.

OT
Lethean - The Waters of Death

This is trying hard to be epic but I'm not sure the vocals are getting it done.

Eternal_Sorrow

Feb 18, 2019, 10:02:05 PM2/18/19
to The Metal Crypt
Can Bardd - The Last Rain

Holy fuck what an album!! Everyone check it out!

brunoredsox

Feb 19, 2019, 9:02:04 AM2/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
Saor - Forgotten Paths
OH YES

Avantasia - Moonglow
Oh no

Eternal_Sorrow

Feb 19, 2019, 11:36:48 AM2/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
The new Can Bardd album blows the Saor outta the water!!

MetalMike

Feb 19, 2019, 7:56:55 PM2/19/19
to The Metal Crypt
You don't like Moonglow?

brunoredsox

Feb 20, 2019, 7:20:11 AM2/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
Not really, no. Never been a fan of Tobias' songwriting style but I liked their first three albums, but this just feels to me like too many Broadway moments and not enough Power Metal.

Nosrac1691

Feb 20, 2019, 1:54:31 PM2/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
Yeah, if you aren’t into his style I could definitely see people having difficulty getting into Avantasia. He’s basically the metal version of Jim Steinman. Considering Bat Out of Hell is one of my favorite albums of all time, I love Tobias haha. I honestly wish he would write some songs for Meat Loaf.

MetalMike

Feb 20, 2019, 6:24:56 PM2/20/19
to The Metal Crypt
OK, I can understand if you don't like what he does in general.

@ Nosrac1691 - totally agree. The songs on Bat Out of Hell are amazing.

metal_xxx

Feb 21, 2019, 3:52:46 AM2/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
Work playlist:

Motorhead - No Remorse
Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical

Nosrac1691

Feb 21, 2019, 10:38:53 AM2/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
Avantasia - Moonglow
Traveler - s/t
Candlemass - The Door to Doom
Candlemass - s/t

Mjölnir

Feb 21, 2019, 2:29:26 PM2/21/19
to The Metal Crypt

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 9:38:53 AM UTC-6, Nosrac1691 wrote:
Candlemass - The Door to Doom

How is that? I've heard the single and it left me a bit underwhelmed.

Nosrac1691

Feb 21, 2019, 3:57:43 PM2/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
I think it’s a lot better than Psalms for the Dead. Not as good as Death Magic Doom though.

MetalMike

Feb 21, 2019, 8:17:51 PM2/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
Nice.

OT
Dire Peril - The Extraterrestrial Compendium

Like a sci-fi Blind Guardian

Paul Batteiger

Feb 21, 2019, 10:56:08 PM2/21/19
to The Metal Crypt
It's kind of meh.  Though it is better than Psalms.
It is loading more messages.