Does tesseract 3.03 return 3.02 with -version ?

n.nic...@gmx.de

Sep 7, 2014, 1:36:56 PM9/7/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
I recently manages to compile tesseract 3.03 with lots of problems.

Now I have a file in /usr/local/bin named tesseract, but using tesseract -v

I get  3.02
leptonica 1.71 libjpeg 8d libpng 1.2.49 libtioff 3.9.6 and zlib 1.2.7

For ocrmypdf a version > 3.02 is needed.

What can I do ?

zdenko podobny

Sep 7, 2014, 4:04:18 PM9/7/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
1. Last version of stable tesseract release is 3.02
2. There is no official 3.03 release. There is only 3.03 release candidate that is intended for developer for testing.

Even 3.03 is for developer its building on linux should be quite smooth process (maybe it depend on experiences with building from source).
I just tested recently building 3.03-rc1 from source and there was no problem and I got this output for "tesseract --version":
tesseract 3.03
 leptonica-1.71
  libgif 5.0.5 : libjpeg 8b : libpng 1.2.50 : libtiff 4.0.3 : zlib 1.2.8 : libwebp 0.3.1

If you have installed tesseract version 3.02, please uninstall it before installing tesseract 3.03-rc1 (or you should setup your system to use 3.03 library instead of 3.02 library).

Zdenko

Shree Devi Kumar

Sep 7, 2014, 10:23:50 PM9/7/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
What source file did you use for compiling tesseract?

Shree Devi Kumar

Nicolas Nickisch

Sep 8, 2014, 5:26:27 AM9/8/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I am not sure that an older 3.02 is residing on my machine.
I remember that I installed tesseract 3.02 on my raspberry and then started to upgrade to 3.03 because ocrmypdf complained that it wants to see greater 3.02 and stopped working

I tried to uninstall 3.02 before, nevertheless I am not sure that the replacement process was o.k.

At least the file date for tesseract showed 7.9.2014 15:xx !
But -v says it is 3.02 as before.

What about 3.04 ?

the first 3.02 came from official repository, nevertheless apt-get remove tesseratct-ocr did not work.
How to manually install it ?

Shree Devi Kumar

Sep 8, 2014, 5:50:06 AM9/8/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

for 3.03-rc-1

There have been over 100 commits since then and latest code is available from git (it is NOT released, only for developers, testers, etc ....)

Shree Devi Kumar