wrong codec with Fritzbox

Fritzuser

Jun 28, 2012, 2:12:45 PM6/28/12
to Telephone Discussions
Hi,
I try to use telephone as a client to the SIP-Server in a Fritzbox.
When Telephone is calling, there is no conversation, because I am
hearing nothing real.
It seams to me, the codec negotiation is not successful.
When Telephone is called, everything works fine.

I can send a log file.

Best Regards
Stefan

Peter Kayatz

Sep 25, 2012, 2:44:40 PM9/25/12
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
I guess I have a similar problem: When Telefphone is calling, the other side hears only a very low voice grunting, hardly to understand. When Telephone is called, every thing works fine.
I have a FritzBox 7390

Stefan, did you find a solution?

Cheers
Peter

Markus Zierer

Oct 11, 2012, 2:57:25 AM10/11/12
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

i also have the same problem with a FritzBox 7390. After googling around, it seems to me that this is a codec problem. to work properly, the G.711 Codec has to be used. When placing a call from Telephone, the codec will be automatically handled between the app and the fritzbox. Telephone is presenting a list of codecs to the fritzbox and it selects, for whatever reason, the G.722, which does not work properly. That's why the other side does not hear anything. When you receive a call, it's the other way round and Telephone selects the G.711, which is working.

I have done some tests with another VoIP App called "Jitsi". It is OpenSource and you can select there, which Codecs should be used (what is currently not possible in Telephone). If You disable G.722 in the Codec List, then the Phonecalls work.

So i really guess it's a problem which could be solved. I plan to write my findings in a mail to the developer. Because Jitsi is OpenSource, it should be possible to get a look in the source code there, to see, how they have dealed with that problem.

Greets
Markus

Peter Kayatz

Oct 12, 2012, 1:46:11 PM10/12/12
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the excellent information!  :-)

nomadolive

Oct 12, 2012, 2:06:08 PM10/12/12
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Yes codec is often the issue, people tried to use G729 or G722 but the best to use is always G711, no problem with this one at all.

jagro

Jan 2, 2013, 3:49:05 PM1/2/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Markus,

thanks for googling around. I have the same problem here and I am wondering if you happen to get an answer from the developer. Or did you find any other solution for the problem? I like Telephone and would like to use it for more than just being called - outgoing calls for example ;-)

Thank you in advance
Jan

gaetano

Jan 28, 2013, 12:49:39 PM1/28/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I have the very same problem with Telephone and Fritzbox 7270, if anybody is able to get in touch with the developer and find a solution/workaround, hope he will share it soon :-)

Have a nice day
Gaetano

gaetano

Jan 31, 2013, 5:12:55 PM1/31/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,
I found a workaround to use Telephone with my Fritzbox which is quite simple although it implies recompiling Telephone itself. In short I removed the G722 codec from pjsip, definitely quick and dirty.

Here is the github tree along with the instructions to build the application.
All you have to do is to follow it with 2 main changes:
  1. Use the current 1.x branch for pjsip (not the 1.2) by issuing
  2. In pjlib/include/pj/config_site.h include also
    • #define PJMEDIA_HAS_G722_CODEC 0

Then continue with the instructions.
I have been using this "hacked" Telephone for 3 days without any issue.

Hope this may help anybody

Gaetano

joachim hans

Feb 4, 2013, 3:51:28 PM2/4/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaetano,

thanks for that information - I am currently trying to get my FritzBox 7270 to work with Telephone as well. Your reply shows that it is not impossible to get things working.

Any way you could share your recompiled version? I have no clue how to do the recompiling and would be grateful for any help there,

All the best,

Joachim

Alexei Kuznetsov

Feb 6, 2013, 3:24:58 AM2/6/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm, this is a right way to override FritzBox problem.

Alexei

gaetano

Feb 6, 2013, 3:10:52 PM2/6/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexei,
Thank you for your confirmation.
Maybe it could be useful to have an option at configuration level to enable/disable G722 to workaround such kind of compatibility issues.
I remember that the pjsip library allows to set the codec priority, this could be used to push it backward in case of problems like this.

Marcus Olsson

Apr 11, 2013, 3:38:29 PM4/11/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Having the same problem with my Fritz!Box 7270 + phone connected over wire and SIP provider CellIP. Is there a way to fix this in the FritzBox by SSH'ing in to it, and write commands, or do i actually have to recompile it?

/Marcus

Christian Christophoridis

Apr 18, 2013, 11:50:44 AM4/18/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Same issue here...

Gaetano,
would you be able to share your build?

/C

gaetano

Apr 19, 2013, 6:48:25 PM4/19/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,
I can try to post it tomorrow as soon as I have a little time to seat in front of my Mac :-)

Have a nice day
Gaetano

gaetano

Apr 20, 2013, 11:19:55 AM4/20/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
you can download the package I compiled to get rid of the G722 problem with Fritz!box.
Please consider that the source code dates  back to Jan 31.

Have fun
Gaetano

Niklas

May 13, 2013, 6:32:41 AM5/13/13
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
@gaento, thank you very much. This worked for me as well. However I think disabling HD telephony support should only be an intermediate solution.

I had been in contact with AVM Support about this problem with my Fritz!Box 7390. Unfortunately they didn't show much interest in improving compatibility with pjsip for the time being. Even though Telephone.app being the only free VoIP client on the Mac App Store afaik.

They also said that I was the first person complaining about non-compatibility with Telephone.app, so maybe you guys can contact AVM Support as well? If it is indeed a problem in pjsip and not in the Fritz!Box firmware, then maybe by bringing the problem to their attention, AVM will help fix it in pjsip. It is open source after all and used in quite a few clients: http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/wiki/Projects_Using_PJSIP.

Lets hope for the best, shall we
Niklas

ballyhoo

Jan 20, 2014, 5:20:18 AM1/20/14
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Gaetano,

I tried your hacked Version, but unfortunately it crashes when I try to start it.
Tehe normal 1.0.4 works in my computer, but with the wrong codecs...

You have a solution or idea why its crashing?

Thanks

Ballyhoo

Alexei Kuznetsov

Jan 20, 2014, 5:29:44 AM1/20/14
to teleph...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ballyhoo,

It looks like you sent the message not in the mailing list you were sending originally.

But since you are here, here’s the current state of Telephone and FritzBox problem. The current Mac App Store version of Telephone, 1.1.4, has “Use only G.711 codec” checkbox. It should override the codec incompatibility problem for outgoing calls via FritzBox.

This version of Telephone runs on OS X 10.8 and 10.9. There are no solutions for this problem distributed by me for the earlier version of Telephone 1.0.4 that runs on OS X 10.6 and later.

Alexei

ballyhoo

Jan 20, 2014, 5:34:36 AM1/20/14
to teleph...@googlegroups.com, ma...@eofster.com
Thank you Alexei,

I know, but my system is 10.7, so I hoped for this version Gaetano has provided for download.

Best wishes

Ballyhoo