Introducing Myself

Italo Vignoli

Apr 27, 2016, 1:07:03 PM4/27/16
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
I have just subscribed to tb-planning, to contribute - if possible - to
the discussion. I am in charge of marketing and PR at LibreOffice, and a
happy Thunderbird user since ages (actually, using version 45 on Ubuntu
and MacOS).

Dave Koelmeyer

Apr 28, 2016, 5:04:21 AM4/28/16
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org

On 28/04/16 04:32, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> I have just subscribed to tb-planning, to contribute - if possible - to
> the discussion. I am in charge of marketing and PR at LibreOffice, and a
> happy Thunderbird user since ages (actually, using version 45 on Ubuntu
> and MacOS).
Welcome to the list! :)

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

R. Kent James

Apr 29, 2016, 5:28:24 PM4/29/16
to it...@libreoffice.org, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Good to hear from you, Italo.

You're probably aware that Thunderbird has been talking for a couple of
years now about the need for a long-term legal and financial home, and
LibreOffice was one of the candidates for that. In any case, I've
studied the LibreOffice organizational structure quite a bit, and talked
with staff I've met at conferences, trying to learn things that would be
beneficial to Thunderbird. We have very similar issues, and LibreOffice
is several years ahead of Thunderbird in learning to function as a
large, end-user-focused open source project.

We look forward to hearing more from you on various issues that we
encounter.

R. Kent James
Chair, Thunderbird Council
@rkentjames

Italo Vignoli

Apr 29, 2016, 7:18:49 PM4/29/16
to rk...@caspia.com, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
I am also one of the founders of the LibreOffice project, which means
that I have contributed to the initial discussion about the structure
and the governance of the project, and I have drafted the marketing
strategy to bootstrap the project itself.

I am happy to provide my experience on the subject, although I find it
rather funny to read that "LibreOffice is several years ahead" as the
project is just over 5 years old.

I would personally love to see Thunderbird within TDF, but - being a
community member who has fighted for the independence of the software
project I was contributing to as a volunteer - I completely understand
the challenge faced by Thunderbird community council.

Please feel free to ask any question, if this can help the decision.
Although I have a marketing background, I am know for being more than
straightforward in providing my opinions.

Best, Italo

On 29/04/2016 23:28, R. Kent James wrote:

> You're probably aware that Thunderbird has been talking for a couple of
> years now about the need for a long-term legal and financial home, and
> LibreOffice was one of the candidates for that. In any case, I've
> studied the LibreOffice organizational structure quite a bit, and talked
> with staff I've met at conferences, trying to learn things that would be
> beneficial to Thunderbird. We have very similar issues, and LibreOffice
> is several years ahead of Thunderbird in learning to function as a
> large, end-user-focused open source project.

mobile +39.348.5653829 - email / jabber it...@libreoffice.org
hangout / jabber italo....@gmail.com - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0