change existing profile configuration

James McGovern

May 24, 2012, 2:05:19 PM5/24/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Hello,
I am trying to giver our corporate users access to our active directory
LDAP information in their address books.
I can manually set it up for each user but that would be inefficient.
I can add a user.js to our corporate install in the
core\defaults\profile directory of the unpacked installer, but this only
works for new profiles that are created.
I have tried making an all.js file, an all-thunderbird.js file, editing
the all-thunderbird.js file included in omni.ja and all-enterprise.js.
I have tried placing these various files in \core, core\defaults,
\core\defaults\prefs.
These files get copied to the target, but never into an existing profile
directory.
Existing profiles never incorporate this information.
I am using the current Thunderbird 12.0.1 on WIndows XP and 7 clients. I
push the install with SCCM.
I am asking if there is an appropriate combination of configuration file
and location that allows me to add this information for existing users
rather than find a script for determining the randomly generated profile
name for each user and copying my user.js to it.

Thank you,
James McGovern

--
James McGovern, IT Support
Gandara Center

Ariel Poliak

May 24, 2012, 4:46:24 PM5/24/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
We solved this by creating the settings for the directory via lockPref
and defaultPref and Misssion Control Desktop / AutoConfig...

Under the '(Thunderbird install directory)\defaults\pref' directory, put
a .js file (any valid filename with the JS extension should work) with
the following content:
pref("general.config.obscure_value",0);
pref("general.config.filename","another-file.cfg.js");

Create a file named '(Thunderbird install
directory)\another-file.cfg.js' and place the following code in it:
defaultPref('ldap_2.autoComplete.directoryServer','ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP');
defaultPref('ldap_2.autoComplete.useDirectory',true);
defaultPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.auth.dn','cn=your.em...@companyname.com,ou=orgunit,dc=CompanyName,dc=com');
//this will vary for each company and each user, so it is set as
default, but not locked so that users can set their correct values
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.auth.saslmech',''); //
SASL mechanism, if necessary
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.autoComplete.commentFormat','');
//Any additional LDAP attributes to display on the autocomplete window
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.autoComplete.filterTemplate','(|(displayName=%v*)(sn=%v*)(cn=%v*)(uid=%v*))');
//LDAP Attributes to Search for Autocomplete
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.autoComplete.nameFormat','[displayName]');
//LDAP Attribute for display name
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.description','CompanyName
Autogenerated LDAP Directory'); //Human Readable description
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.filename','CompanyName-autogen-ldap.mab');
//Possibly where results are cached
defaultPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.maxHits',300);
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.nameFormat','[displayName]');
lockPref('ldap_2.servers.AutoGEN-CompanyNameLDAP.uri','ldaps://ldapserver.CompanyName.com/ou=orgunit,dc=CompanyName,dc=com??sub?(objectclass=person)');
//this will vary for each company
defaultPref('ldap_2.servers.default.attrmap.DisplayName','displayName,gecos');
defaultPref('ldap_2.servers.default.autoComplete.filterTemplate','(|(displayName=%v*)(sn=%v*)(cn=%v*)(uid=%v*))');
defaultPref('ldap_2.servers.default.autoComplete.nameFormat','displayName');
defaultPref('mail.addr_book.quicksearchquery.format','?(or(FirstName,c,@V)(sn,c,@V)(DisplayName,c,@V))');

If you are already using Mission Control Desktop, add the second snippet
(modified to suit your environment) to your existing auto-configuration
file and ignore the first snippet.

Ariel Poliak
Network and Security Operations
Active Directory Administrator
HostDime.com, Inc.

James McGovern

May 25, 2012, 1:29:58 PM5/25/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Thank you so much for your sharing your hard work. It worked perfectly.

James
James McGovern, IT Support
Gandara Center
jmcg...@gandaracenter.org