Any way to launch Google Now?

Focused On Distractions

Aug 1, 2012, 7:45:31 PM8/1/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I just started playing with Google Now on a Xoom.  Anyone know if there's a way to launch it from Tasker?

Stefan Sarzio

Aug 2, 2012, 2:51:12 AM8/2/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Load App -> Google (search)

Focused On Distractions

Aug 9, 2012, 7:20:33 PM8/9/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
D'oh, that was obvious.  Not sure why I didn't see that in the app list when I first looked.  Thanks.

Chris Frank

Aug 18, 2012, 12:46:36 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Google Now and it works well for me. Does anyone know if it's possible to send some text held in a variable to Google Now so that it automatically searches for that text?

Chris Frank

Aug 18, 2012, 2:32:48 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I spent some time googling and tinkering, so if anyone is interrested...

According to the documentation for the assist intent, it has no input. However, when I pass a query to the assist intent, sometimes it is pushed into the search bar in Google Now. It doesn't perform the search automatically, but that may also be a bug I'm facing since I'm using an unofficial Google Now on my GS3.

Action: android.intent.action.ASSIST
Category: Default
Extra: query:%QUERY
Target: Activity

baudi

Aug 18, 2012, 2:51:05 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Neat! I got it to do the search automatically by having it Type a newline.

Assist (55)
A1: Send Intent [ Action:android.intent.action.ASSIST Cat:Default Mime Type: Data: Extra:query:%QUERY Extra: Package: Class: Target:Activity ]
A2: Variable Set [ Name:%newline To: (Here I pressed the enter key)
 Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A3: Type [ Text:%newline Repeat Times:1 ]

Chris Frank

Aug 18, 2012, 3:24:48 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Nice, glad it's working for you. For whatever reason, your method doesn't work for my phone.

baudi

Aug 18, 2012, 3:32:07 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That's strange, since I have an SGS3 too (verizon). I'm running the Synergy ROM.

Christopher Frank

Aug 18, 2012, 3:35:29 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I'm still on stock with the T-Mobile SGS3, using the Mikey M6 version
of GNOW that's posted here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29756226&postcount=2857

Maybe I'll pull the .apk from your ROM and give it a shot.

Thanks for your info.

baudi

Aug 18, 2012, 3:57:53 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I thought Synergy was using Mikey6. Maybe not.

Christopher Frank

Aug 18, 2012, 4:38:34 PM8/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Tried the apk from the Synergy rom, no difference. Oh well, worth a shot!

Sam

Jun 2, 2013, 8:09:57 AM6/2/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you know the intent for a google now phone search?

bdanders

Jun 3, 2013, 1:09:31 PM6/3/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I've been able to trigger a google search using the AutoShare plugin and the following parameters:

Package: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
Class: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.SearchActivity
Text: %search_string
Images:

Brandon Horwath

Sep 26, 2013, 1:01:22 AM9/26/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Package: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
Class: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.SearchActivity
Text: %search_string
Images:

This crashes AutoShare for me.

I read somewhere that this is no longer possible using AutoShare, but possible using intents.

Has anyone had success with this recently?

CW

Oct 25, 2013, 12:07:08 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Send Intent [
Action: android.intent.action.WEB_SEARCH
Cat: None
Mime Type:
Extra: query:weather (remove if you just want to launch Google Now, else change 'weather' to search word)
Extra:
Package: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
Class: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.SearchActivity
Target: Activity ]

Brandon Horwath

Oct 25, 2013, 12:33:17 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I'm gonna test this when I can for what I want to do.
I just can't do it right this minute.

If this works as desired, I owe you a beer! Either way thanks for the assistance.

bdanders

Oct 25, 2013, 1:19:35 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, that's been bugging me for a while now.

Brandon Horwath

Oct 25, 2013, 1:52:49 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Oh well, still requires user interaction. Requests passed are not set automatically, or even queued for set based on time delay.

Thanks for the info though.

CW

Oct 25, 2013, 1:58:32 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That's really strange it didn't work for you. Did it just open Google Search? What version of Android?

Brandon Horwath

Oct 25, 2013, 2:12:45 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Did it just open Google Search?

Correct. The value was passed using query:%avcommnofilter using AutoVoice. The request does appear, but Google doesn't automatically act upon it. For example, saying set an alarm for noon... doesn't set any alarm. But, if I unlock my screen and select the hanging tab in the floating window of Google now, then it finally will.

Usually, the tab in the floating window will have a progress bar indicating time delay until action, and will also provide vocal feedback regarding the request.

There is no automation using this method, and no vocal feedback at all (default set to allways). I was hoping to use this with my Bluetooth and autovoice, but needing to interact with the device and/or screen at all defeats the purpose unfortunately.

What version of Android?

4.1.1, no root.

Thanks anyhow. I'm gonna play with it and maybe I will stumble across something.

CW

Oct 25, 2013, 2:26:52 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough, good luck! I will note that I am not using AutoVoice (not sure if that makes a different) and I'm on Android 4.2.2 w/o root. Let us know what you find out.

Scott Lyle

Oct 25, 2013, 5:28:45 PM10/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried either method yet, but the beta version of  AutoShare has a way to import intents and there's one for a Google Now search:

You may be able to look at the text in each link and figure out how to set up an intent manually as well.  The one for Google Now appears to be a bit different from the intent given above, so it might be worth checking out.

Brandon Horwath

Oct 26, 2013, 12:23:00 AM10/26/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The one for Google Now appears to be a bit different from the intent given above, so it might be worth checking out.

Indeed! Thank you.

Unfortunately, it is a different method of obtaining the same results, for me at least.

I will try and see if Google can get this function automated through intents. I think that would be ideal.