Re: Google docs & Tasker

Wes Stacey

Jun 3, 2013, 2:38:11 PM6/3/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
and app called FolderSync can sync files between the phone and google drive.

the pro version has plugin for tasker so you can write what you need to a file locally then have Tasker kick off a sync and Foldersync will put the file onto Google Drive.

On Monday, June 3, 2013 7:32:50 AM UTC-5, Onur Eren wrote:
Hi all,

Is there anyway of posting data to Google docs using tasker? I've tried HTTP POST but seems like Google blocked this method? Any advices/ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Onur

Onur Eren

Jun 5, 2013, 11:13:26 AM6/5/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

First of all, thank you so much for your replies Wes Stacey and Adam Bell.

Wes,

I've tried using your method (tasker/http post/google docs) but I couldnt really make it work. I've tried so many different combinations and followed all the steps you listed but can't really find the problem why it's not writing in to the spreadsheet.

Attached screenshots of my http post settings in tasker. Where do you think I'm making something wrong?

Many thanks,
Onur
Screenshot_2013-06-05-15-58-22.png
Screenshot_2013-06-05-16-06-07.png

Adam Bell

Jun 5, 2013, 12:02:23 PM6/5/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You're almost there!

Change your Data box to entry.438219032=%DATE

Also double check your Server box starts with https://docs.google.com/forms/d/

Onur Eren

Jun 6, 2013, 9:12:25 AM6/6/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

Thank you so much for your replies.

I've finally started pushing the data into Google spreadsheets with using Tasker/HTTP Post. We have a Google Apps for Business account and the one problem I've found out is that I can't push data to spreadsheet with tasker if its Business account. For example

https://docs.google.com/a/mydomain.com/forms/d/keyforthespreadsheet : I've tried all the combinations but couldnt post any data to spreadsheets under our domain.

Although, I can post data using tasker/http post if I do this in my personal account and a spreadsheet in this account.

Do you think there is a restriction for Google Apps for Business account?

Onur Eren

Jun 21, 2013, 12:02:09 PM6/21/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I still havent found an answer to my question about pushing data to google spreadsheets when you're on Google Apps for Business. I have no problem sending data to Google Spreadsheets with Tasker to my own personal Google Drive account but I can not push data to our companys Google Apps for Business account. So the question below is still stands. Thank you so much for your help.

Tanguy Mignot

Aug 25, 2013, 6:10:52 AM8/25/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Onur,

I just trye to push datas on a Google Apps account and it works, so there is no restrictions.

Does the class of your entry is "ss-q-short" ? If the class is, for example,"ss-grid-button-wrapper", the text you will push have to be one you define in your Google Form. Using free text need the use of a simple text question.

Hope that help :)

Curtis Olson

Apr 10, 2014, 5:38:06 PM4/10/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome. I've struggled with ways to debug tasker because of the small screen and that you have to jump into the app. I've just created a Logger spreadsheet so I can dump log messages and view them on my PC. It add a bit of overhead, but I this solves a big problem for me. I've spent the last 2 days with my phone speaking my debug info and my wife is not loving it.

Cheers!

On Monday, June 3, 2013 2:55:20 PM UTC-7, Adam Bell wrote:
You can send data to a spreadsheet using Google forms and HTTP Post.

1. In Google Drive create a new form
2. For each piece of data you want to upload make a new question with the type "text"
3. Hit done
3. Note down/copy the form URL (you'll need it in Tasker)
4. Choose the response destination as a new spreadsheet (give it a suitable name).
5. Click "view live form"
6. Right click on form and view source
7. Scan the source for a line that looks similar to this "<input type="text" name="entry.1801993868" value="" class="ss-q-short" id="entry_1801993868" dir="auto">
8. You should have an entry.<number> for each question you created above. Note down/copy the numbers
9. In tasker
    9.1 Create a task
    9.2 Add an HTTP Post
    9.3 Fill out the action as follows:
          Server:Port - The URL from step 3 without the trailing "/edit"
          Path - formResponse
          Data / File - entry.<number>=%YourDATA
   9.4 Save, close, run, ????, profit

If you need to upload several pieces of data at once, add the entry.<number> on separate lines in the same HTTP Post action.

I use this method to upload my clock in and clock out times at work (using an NFC tag as a trigger) to a spreadsheet where I then carry out further processing to calculate monthly pay (as a cross check against wage slip).

Bill DeWitt

Jun 16, 2014, 2:31:46 PM6/16/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Adam Bell, this was very clear and worked quite well. Do you know if there is a similar way to read data from a Google spreadsheet?

Andrew Highfield

Dec 11, 2014, 9:44:47 AM12/11/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much again, this worked perfectly for me!

Isaac Asher

Feb 4, 2015, 7:12:15 PM2/4/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!  I have tried all of these suggestions and am still unable to post the data to the google Sheet.  I'm getting HTTPR = 200, yet when I check the Sheet, there are no entries.

I am using the following configuration in my HTTP Post Action:

Server:Port

Path
forms/d/1G-DCusiFFqEVSV4lrNlJTd7KS3EcoyW3SO5ytPWsMWc/formResponse

Data / File
entry.1902690030=%Client
entry.2134361941=%Services
entry.1117319579=%Date
entry.1791021826=%Paid

Content Type
text/*

I've been searching for the solution for quite a while, and it seems most people were able to resolve this issue.... however I still can't seem to get it to post.

My guess is it's a setting either in Tasker or Google Docs somewhere..... Any suggestions as to where I might look?

Many thanks in advance!

Thomas Law

Apr 20, 2015, 2:26:55 AM4/20/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Change content type to the following:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded

That solved it for me.

Isaac Asher

Apr 20, 2015, 12:49:10 PM4/20/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Eureka!! Thanks Thomas for this solution. I have been looking everywhere for months and this finally did the trick. :) a thousand thanks!!

Matt Horner

Oct 4, 2015, 12:58:50 PM10/4/15
to Tasker
Does anyone know if this still works? After creating the Google Form, and going to the Form Response page, there doesn't seem to be any entry.####### when I Inspect Element.

Any thoughts?

Isaac Asher

Oct 4, 2015, 1:11:36 PM10/4/15
to Tasker
Matt,

Yes, this still works.

The entry.########## you are looking for can be found by inspecting the elements on the live version of the form, not the form response page. If you think about it logically, you're basically fooling Google into thinking someone completed and submitted your form hence the data from Tasker needs to go to the live form and you give it the id of the field to which it should post.

Go to your form in Google Docs and click View Live Form at the right side of the toolbar and then inspect element.

Hope that helps!

Tirré Logston

Apr 26, 2016, 12:59:41 PM4/26/16
to Tasker
Curtis,

Thanks for the awesome guide. I can input data but it does not "submit" the data. What step am I missing? I have the two lines on the same HTTP Post for date and time. What do you do after that to tell it to submit so that it will post to the spreadsheet?

Tirré Logston

Apr 26, 2016, 1:24:07 PM4/26/16
to Tasker
Thomas, I am not above saying I have no idea what I am doing. Question: Do you type it in just like you have it "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" or am I replacing information in there? I am missing a step and it won't post to the spreadsheet. I am at a lost for what is missing.

Data / File
entry.1888789392=%DATE
entry.1176838667=%TIME

Content Type
application/x-www-form-urlencoded

I am sure it is going to be something silly that just went above my head but it would be great to figure out what.

Thank you!

Peter Unold

May 5, 2016, 6:32:08 AM5/5/16
to Tasker
There's a tasker plugin for updating Google spreadsheets: link

Full disclaimer: I wrote it(but it's free).