Solved: way to cleanly exit Waze

J.

Nov 2, 2012, 10:57:14 PM11/2/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ok guys - try this and see if it works for your phone. I have an HTC Incredible 2 and it works like a charm for me, when Kill App wouldn't.

1. Input - Button: Back
2. Input - Dpad: Right
3. Input - Dpad: Press

For me this emulates pressing the Back button, then pressing the 'Turn off' on-screen button. Hope this helps some people.

Shaigan

Nov 3, 2012, 7:03:03 AM11/3/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
\o/ thx a lot

J.

Nov 7, 2012, 11:18:26 AM11/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Well, this worked a couple times, but now not anymore.  Not sure what changed  :(

Back to the drawing board!

GermainZ

Nov 7, 2012, 11:25:25 AM11/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Seeing you're using dpad tasks, why not use the kill shell function?

Wes Stacey

Nov 7, 2012, 11:35:37 AM11/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Note: All of this requires Root for anyone who stumbles upon this topic later.

Adamx

Nov 7, 2012, 1:49:27 PM11/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Waze has a persistent notification, and killing the app doesn't clear that notification.

J.

Nov 7, 2012, 2:07:46 PM11/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Well, I tried to run a shell command via Secure Settings, like this below, but it didn't work. Also tried some various kill -9 <pid> and killall -9 <pid> commands, with no results.

Image

J.

Nov 7, 2012, 2:09:09 PM11/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yeah this thing is a bastard to kill, and there is virtually no encouraging feedback from Waze support forums saying that they will make a Tasker enhancement.  What a PITA
Message has been deleted

J.

Jan 2, 2013, 1:14:45 PM1/2/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
FINALLY! I found a solution that works people!  Use the TaskKill Tasker plugin in the market.  I didn't even need to choose the most aggressive settings.  'Advanced' works fine, AND it kills the persistent notification.  The bane of my Tasker existence hath been slain!

HerbCSO

May 1, 2013, 9:45:08 AM5/1/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I found that on the latest Tasker/Waze combination, it now works to use the "Kill App" task with "Use Root=On". That kills Waze and the icon in the notification bar disappears. No need for the separate plugin.

Matt R

May 1, 2013, 12:46:19 PM5/1/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
When you start waze next time, does it throw an error message saying it didn't shutdown properly?

Matt

Max Hodgson

May 1, 2013, 12:53:40 PM5/1/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
On 1 May 2013 17:46, Matt R <matthew.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
When you start waze next time, does it throw an error message saying it didn't shutdown properly?

Matt

I use Secure Settings - Launch Activity - Select App "Waze", then select ".Close Intent" from the drop down box.

Works for me.

Matt R

May 1, 2013, 2:03:08 PM5/1/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I wonder when they added that! You can do this directly from Tasker with a send intent:

Send Intent [ Action: Cat:None Mime Type: Data: Extra: Extra: Package:com.waze Class:com.waze.CloseIntent Target:Activity ]

However, this annoyingly throws a "force close" error if waze isn't running. So, I will be using this shell script:

if [ "$(pidof com.waze)" != "" ]; then am start -n com.waze/.CloseIntent; fi;

Thanks for mentioning this!

Matt

Don Radlauer

Jun 1, 2013, 6:30:50 PM6/1/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
This was working beautifully for me until the other day, when Waze updated from Version 3.6 to 3.7. Now the Send Intent doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions in sight?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed, O Experts!

-DonR

Don Radlauer

Jun 1, 2013, 6:40:33 PM6/1/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just found the Waze 3.7 Feedback forum thread; someone else mentioned the "missing CloseIntent" problem there, but I haven't yet seen any responses. Sigh...

-DonR

Matt R

Jun 2, 2013, 12:03:57 AM6/2/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I noticed it too. It appears to have been removed from external access (for some unknown reason). I reverted to the previous version for this reason.

Matt

TomL

Jun 3, 2013, 10:48:32 AM6/3/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No answers, but my cynism suggests that the developers removed the easy way to kill Waze so that it can be left running, and offer more monetizing opportunities to paying partners.  :(

Tom

Brian Johnson

Nov 12, 2013, 2:17:52 PM11/12/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I just found this post while searching on this topic:  http://grokbase.com/t/gg/tasker/138kzsyy7h/to-close-waze

You can use an intent to close Waze:
Action: Eliran_Close_Intent
Cat: Default
Target: Broadcast Receiver

I just tried it and it's working for me.  Hope this helps someone else.

Don Radlauer

Nov 12, 2013, 4:03:51 PM11/12/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Didn't work for me at all. Can you run down the list of parameters for the Send Intent command, so I can make sure I'm doing it the same way you are? All three parameters you gave were different from the values I'd used previously (and which worked before Waze 3.7); and the parameters that I did have set are not the ones you mentioned. Strange!

-Don

Don Radlauer

Nov 12, 2013, 4:13:24 PM11/12/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
AHA! I got discouraged (and posted) too soon. I tried again with a new task - with everything left in its original default state, except for the three parameters you gave. It works!

Thanks, Brian!!!

-Don

Brian Johnson

Nov 12, 2013, 4:15:00 PM11/12/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, I missed Package in my original post.

It should be:
Action: Eliran_Close_Intent
Cat: Default
Package: com.waze
Target Broadcast Receiver

Task export attached.
Quit_Waze.tsk.xml

Don Radlauer

Nov 12, 2013, 4:21:12 PM11/12/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly, the first version (without the "package" parameter) worked as well.

Again, thanks!

-Don

Ravikumar Subbaroyan

Nov 20, 2013, 4:57:29 PM11/20/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The above task does not work for me. Moto X, KitKat, Waze - 3.7.6.0

When I run the task, the waze app is not killed. However intermittently it seems to get killed after some time (~2 minutes). And sometimes it is open for a long time until I killed it.

Mwyarm

Nov 24, 2013, 8:50:23 PM11/24/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!! Works for my Droid Razr and a lot better than trying to navigate using DPAD commands.

iphone2n1

Feb 24, 2014, 1:02:07 PM2/24/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Brian.
This is finally a reliable way to kill Waze. I don't understand why they go out of their way to make it so difficult to stop Waze.

Pak

Feb 26, 2014, 9:50:25 AM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Brian, thanks for the task export. Just tried it on my Samsung GS2 running Jelly Bean and it worked a treat. Will be adding it to the task I use when exiting my car to auto kill Waze rather than having to do it manually.

aweber1nj

Feb 26, 2014, 11:55:45 AM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Does Brian's solution work without Root?

I just upgraded to a Moto X, and while I have root'ed every phone I've had, this one looks like a bear to root.  (There is a method, but it's long and convoluted enough that I'm not going to bother unless someone comes up with something cleaner or I have a real urgent need.)

Thanks!

Brian Johnson

Feb 26, 2014, 12:04:24 PM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
It works without root.  Root isn't needed to send intents.

aweber1nj

Feb 26, 2014, 12:11:52 PM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Sweet.  Thanks!

aweber1nj

Feb 26, 2014, 2:14:40 PM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Dumb Question:  How do I "import" your Quit_Wase xml (task)???

Thanks,
AJ

Brian Johnson

Feb 26, 2014, 2:21:13 PM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/faqs/faq-how.html#q
"Go to the main screen, long click on the tab for the type of thing you want to import."

Viscouse

Sep 2, 2014, 10:28:47 PM9/2/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
 I'm in the same boat.  It kills the notification, but the actual task is still running.  I've got an S4, Android 4.4.2.

Bob Hansen

Sep 2, 2014, 11:09:16 PM9/2/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
If you want to close Waze use this intent:

Intent-Close Waze (331)
        <Close Waze>
        A1: Send Intent [ Action:Eliran_Close_Intent Cat:Default Mime Type: Data: Extra: Extra: Package: Class: Target:Broadcast Receiver ]

This closes it properly.

Viscouse

Sep 3, 2014, 2:03:18 PM9/3/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bob.  I did actually put that in, and like I said, it mostly closes it.
What I'm referring to is that when (on my device) I longpress the center hard button to bring up the list of active apps, it's listed.
When I go into Task Manager, it's not listed.  Is this a buggy artifact?

This is what I'm struggling with.  Is it the same for folks that use the "send intent" method?

Scott Miller

Sep 3, 2014, 2:06:53 PM9/3/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

The recent apps list is not the same as the active tasks in the task manager. An app can appear the recent apps list even when it is not running.

Scott

Viscouse

Sep 3, 2014, 2:12:32 PM9/3/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
*smacks head*
Thank you.  It's a list of recent apps, not running apps.  I learned something today.