Bluetooth Auto Connect / Connect To Specific Device

Pent

Jul 2, 2012, 2:47:23 AM7/2/12
to Tasker
Someone mentioned to me an app called Bluetooth Auto Connect that has
a plugin component for Tasker and allows connection to specific
devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.refluxa.android.bac

I often get asked about this, so I'll leave this post sticky for a
while.

Pent

p.s. havn't tested it, hope it works :-)

Mike Maynard

Jul 2, 2012, 11:49:24 AM7/2/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Looks great,  too bad it comes up as incompatible with my phone.

Must be an ics app

David Watt

Jul 2, 2012, 8:29:18 PM7/2/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't work. I can go to settings > Bluetooth on my phone and press the device name I want to connect to and it works.

If I set up a tasker task to do this using the plugin, and then do a manual run of it to test it (using the play button), it doesn't try to connect.

Looks like the app itself might not work on my phone (HTC One XL, ICS)

Pent

Jul 3, 2012, 3:27:43 AM7/3/12
to Tasker
> If I set up a tasker task to do this using the plugin, and then do a manual
> run of it to test it (using the play button), it doesn't try to connect.

Could you contact the developer about it ?

> Looks like the app itself might not work on my phone (HTC One XL, ICS)

If it work without the plugin, it's more likely a problem with their
plugin handling.

But someone contacted me by email and said it worked. Hmm.

Pent

Bauke

Jul 3, 2012, 6:03:33 AM7/3/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just installed the Bluetooth Auto Connect app. I will give it try later.
I will report back!

Bauke

Jul 3, 2012, 9:13:53 AM7/3/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
App is workings for Me!

bmp

Jul 3, 2012, 10:33:57 AM7/3/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this is not compatible with my Phone.One asociated question >What is the Bluetooth ID inside the Net option?
Regards,
BMP
NeoV ->Stock GB 2.3.4

Pent

Jul 3, 2012, 11:23:04 AM7/3/12
to Tasker
> Unfortunately this is not compatible with my Phone.One asociated question>What is the Bluetooth ID inside the Net option?

Look at the action help (question mark icon bottom right in action
edit screen).

Pent

baudi

Jul 17, 2012, 11:40:10 AM7/17/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Bluetooth auto connect doesn't work on my Galaxy S3 with ICS 4.004.

BUT, I found something that does work: A2DP Volume

It doesn't have a Tasker Plugin, but it does have settings that allow you to specify that the A2DP output should automatically connect when, for example, you enter Car Mode.

Seems to work fine for my phone, when nothing else I tried would work.

Thanks to Ada in this thread for pointing the way.

baudi

Jul 18, 2012, 9:30:54 AM7/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I just added the following enhancement request to the A2DP Volume issue list. It's issue 128. Please star it if you think this would be useful.

Tasker Plugin

It would be great if you would develop a stand-alone Tasker plugin that would allow a Tasker user to force a connection to a Bluetooth device. No other features of A2DP Volume, such as location detection, automatic volume control, etc., would be needed since these could be handled by Tasker.

This would have the advantage of eliminating the need for the A2DP Volume service to be running all the time and occupying memory, because Tasker is already running all the time and could detect the conditions a user wants to act on.

baudi

Jul 18, 2012, 9:59:27 AM7/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
By the way, if you don't see the usefulness of this now (since there are other plugins that purport to do the same thing), you probably will see the usefulness when you upgrade to ICS. The other solutions don't seem to work for ICS, or at least they don't work with the Galaxy S3.

If you Star the issue now, it has a better chance of being ready when you are.

baudi

Jul 18, 2012, 9:02:53 PM7/18/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The A2DP Developer just posted this on his issue tracker.

One issue however:  In order for any app to receive an intent (like from Tasker) it must have an activity running.  So, the service will still need to be running anyway to use any features of A2DP Volume.  So you might as well use A2DP Volume to handle all of those things anyway.

I presume you are using Tasker for many other things too.  In that case it would be better to submit an issue to the Tasker team to just implement the Bluetooth force connect like I have done.  A2DP Volume is open source so as long as they follow the OS license agreement they can just use the functions from my app in Tasker.

And then, a few minutes later.

I see Tasker is not free or open source.  Too bad.  So, they cannot directly implement my code.  They could still implement similar functionality though.

Pent, is this true for a plugin? Isn't a plugin a package of code that runs as part of Tasker, not relying on an external activity?

Pent

Jul 19, 2012, 4:22:09 AM7/19/12
to Tasker
> One issue however:  In order for any app to receive an intent (like from
> Tasker) it must have an activity running.  So, the service will still need
> to be running anyway to use any features of A2DP Volume.  So you might as
> well use A2DP Volume to handle all of those things anyway.

That's not correct. Both Services and BroadcastReceivers can receive
intents.

> Pent, is this true for a *plugin*? Isn't a plugin a package of code that
> runs as part of Tasker, not relying on an external activity?

I'm not sure what the question means, but:

A plugin is an external app. It only happens to store it's data in
with the Tasker data.

Pent

baudi

Jul 19, 2012, 8:28:19 AM7/19/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Here's the nub of the question: Does a plugin require that a separate activity or service is always running in the background, even when the plugin is not running?

baudi

Jul 21, 2012, 8:34:46 PM7/21/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The A2DP Volume developer has moved this issue to a new place. Here's his comment.

I did start another app called A2DP Connect. http://code.google.com/p/a2dp-connect/
 It would make far more sense to integrate that with Tasker.  It is just a widget that does the force connect.  Nothing more.  If you just want the force connect, then this issue needs to move to the A2DP Connect issues list to be worked.  That said, I have not worked on that app in quite a while.  However, another developer did get it working recently and he said he would push the code and APK.  Lets move this issue to A2DP Connect for implementation.

If you want to register your interest in this, you'll have to star this issue in the new location, even if you starred the issue in the old location.

Jim Roal

Jul 22, 2012, 11:36:37 AM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
A plugin has now been posted here: http://code.google.com/p/a2dp-connect/
go to the downloads to get the APK file.

baudi

Jul 22, 2012, 11:48:49 AM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
And it works perfectly! Thank you!

baudi

Jul 22, 2012, 12:18:48 PM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I hope you'll put it on Google Play and advertise that it works on Galaxy S3, unlike other A2DP connection plugins. You'll make a lot of Galaxy owners happy.

UncleMike

Jul 22, 2012, 1:45:21 PM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I've been ignoring this thread since I don't use bluetooth for anything.  But I may have a use for it soon.  Once paired, don't bluetooth device connect automatically when within range?  Obviously I'm missing something.

Stupifier

Jul 22, 2012, 1:54:54 PM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:45:21 AM UTC-7, UncleMike wrote:
I've been ignoring this thread since I don't use bluetooth for anything.  But I may have a use for it soon.  Once paired, don't bluetooth device connect automatically when within range?  Obviously I'm missing something.

That is the interesting part....On my Droid Incredible, any device I previously connected to will automatically make connection once I turn it on.  From what I know, MANY people are having issues with that and their phones are NOT automatically connecting to the bluetooth device.  I actually had this problem as well but just fiddled with pairing/unpairing over and over again until it functioned properly.  It appears this issue is so widespread multiple dev's have resorted to creating apps to workaround the issue.  The whole thing is very strange to me since my phone automatically connects to my bluetooth devices without any extra stuff needed.

baudi

Jul 22, 2012, 2:34:10 PM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
> Once paired, don't bluetooth device connect automatically when within range?

My experience.

DroidX - hands free profile (phone) connected automatically, reliably, A2DP sometimes did, sometimes didn't. Maddening.

Galaxy S3 - hands free profile connects automatically, reliably. A2DP never does without being forced. Of all the plugins and apps on the market that purported to do a forced connection, A2DP Volume is the only one that works for me. Now we have a plugin from the same author, and it works, and I'm a happy man.

Mike Maynard

Jul 22, 2012, 7:23:38 PM7/22/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I will give it a shot.

The reason I wanted something like this, is I use a headset when not in the car for talking on the phone, but when I hop in the car, I have a parrot kit.  I want to have the phone force the connection to the parrot when I get in the car.

Thanks for the work guys!

Ethan Schoonover

Aug 4, 2012, 7:29:39 PM8/4/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
This app works *brilliantly* with tasker. Using it to auto pair my Nexus 7 (stock, unrooted) with my (janky, rooted, aokp/cm rom running) Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray. LOVE this plugin.

BradM

Aug 6, 2012, 7:50:25 AM8/6/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
My car scans for a Bluetooth device only at initial startup. Once past that, it doesn't search for a device unless I manually make the car system to do the search. Consequently your incoming and outgoing call profiles would never connect my GS3 to my car system without outside help.

Saveferris

Aug 6, 2012, 7:59:02 AM8/6/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, for the reply, my car also only searches for a device at startup......but if that was the case, then how come I'm able to force connect my phone, using the phones blue tooth settings at anytime.? surely there must be a way that can force connect it.

Saveferris

Aug 9, 2012, 2:14:34 AM8/9/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No love in here.......surely someone else is having the same grief, I bought Tasker specifically for this task.....Damn.

easiuser

Aug 9, 2012, 10:09:35 AM8/9/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Can you autoconnect during statup?  Does your car BT have different addresses or ID's for the two connection types which A2DP connect can recognize?  If not, is it a separate app that you have on your phone to ask how you want to connect?

Once connected though, it is not entirely clear to me why you are turning bluetooth off when the phone is idle unless you are concerned with battery usage.  Even that should be fairly minimal if not transmitting any data.

baudi

Aug 9, 2012, 11:11:23 AM8/9/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried the plugin in this thread about 11 posts above yours?

Saveferris

Aug 10, 2012, 2:04:11 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, August 10, 2012 12:09:35 AM UTC+10, easiuser wrote:
Can you autoconnect during statup?

Yes I can, but i suspect that it was only connecting because when I was testing to see if my tasker profile worked, the factory bluettoth car stereo was still in Discovery mode (which lasts 3 min)
When My bluetooth automatically switches itself off after 45 seconds as to my tasker profile setup, I receive or make an outgoing call, the bluetooth then swicthes On (as to my Tasker Profile) but it won't auto connect. I have to manually go into my Bluetooth android settings choose my paired device then tick my profile-------> Call audio.  or if i want to play Media, I check ---------> Media audio

Does your car BT have different addresses or ID's for the two connection types which A2DP connect can recognize?  If not, is it a separate app that you have on your phone to ask how you want to connect?

No it doesn't have different addresses, and I don't use a separate app to tell it how I want to connect.....thats what I thought the new A2DP plugin was for.
Before I used tasker and the plugin, I would just have my Bluettoth On constantly, and when i started my car it would just auto connect the call audio and media audio........ It would  stay connected untill I turned off the ignition.

Once connected though, it is not entirely clear to me why you are turning bluetooth off when the phone is idle unless you are concerned with battery usage.  Even that should be fairly minimal if not transmitting any data.

Thats the exact reason why I'm turning it off was because of Bluettoth battery drain, I'd have my bluetooth on constantly, it actually makes quite a difference having it off..

Saveferris

Aug 10, 2012, 2:05:56 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yeh I have.....

This is part of my Tasker profile.

 My profile

name= bluetoothconnected
context = state/net/bluetooth connected
action= variable set
name variable = bluetooth
set to=1

Outgoing call :

Context = phone offhook
task = Bluetooth on
wait 45seconds
bluetooth off if %bluetooth doesnt match 1
task= plugin (A2DPConnect) configeration: VW UHV- 00:23:3d:04:60:BB

incoming call

context = incoming call
task = Bluetooth on
wait 45seconds
bluetooth off if %bluetooth doesnt match 1
task= plugin (A2DPConnect) configeration: VW UHV- 00:23:3d:04:60:BB

baudi

Aug 10, 2012, 9:13:32 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
What's your goal with those profiles?

Saveferris

Aug 10, 2012, 10:35:24 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, August 10, 2012 11:13:32 PM UTC+10, baudi wrote:
What's your goal with those profiles?

My Goal is for Bluetooth  to be switched On, when a incoming or outgoing call is placed (that auto connects to my hands free factory bluetooth) After 45 sec after call ending......bluetooth is then switched off.

baudi

Aug 10, 2012, 10:41:58 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you leave bluetooth on while you're in the car?

Saveferris

Aug 10, 2012, 10:52:25 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 12:41:58 AM UTC+10, baudi wrote:
Why don't you leave bluetooth on while you're in the car?

Because I forget to switch it on and then I forget to switch it off when I'm out of the car..............if I have it on constantly it just sucks my battery.

Its a real pain in the backside forgetting to turn your Bluetooth ON while driving, then having to quickly try to navigate to bluetooth settings to have it auto connect

baudi

Aug 10, 2012, 11:43:35 AM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have my vzw s3 set to turn bluetooth on automatically when I'm not connected to wifi, then turn it off when I connect again. That seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure that the bluetooth handsfree profile was meant to support what you're trying to do.

Good luck to you.

easiuser

Aug 10, 2012, 12:03:36 PM8/10/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
This is probably not what you want but it works for me.  Usually I plug my phone into the car charger because I listen to podcasts or Pandora.  So while in the car and plugged into the charger, BT drain is not an issue.

Whenever I plug my phone in (Shows up as USB power) I turn on BT and search for the handsfree.  If done within 3 minutes of starting the car, it will pair up and all is good.  If not, I have to manually reset the handsfree and initiate the pairing with a tasker shortcut. (or unplug and plug back in)

When I disconnect from the handsfree (turned off the car), I have tasker turn off BT.

Based on an earlier suggestion, I am experimenting with placing a magnet near my cradle to prevent searching for the handsfree when I plug my phone into my computer USB port.

Jay Pearson

Mar 31, 2013, 1:31:30 PM3/31/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately there are three apps with similar names. I use the one linked by elf above me and the plugin works like a charm. I just start sequence for car mode (widget) then hop in car and turn on BT mirror and they instantly connect. As well it links to my earpiece if it detects it in scan.

elf

Mar 31, 2013, 4:33:25 PM3/31/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is confusing.  When making reference to an app it helps to give the author or company info so users can differentiate.  This app was designed for A2DP connections and has a Tasker plugin interface.  I just wish it worked for my Kensington BT keyboard but after 30 idle minutes it does not automatically reconnect.  Anyone have a solution for this?  I've looked high and low and can't find one.

ps-The "bad lag" has something to do with this site or Tasker running or a memory leak I need to get to the bottom of.  It wasn't the original authors linked app.  FYI

elf

Mar 31, 2013, 8:32:11 PM3/31/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi There-

Bluetooth Auto Connect (the one with a Tasker plugin interface) does not work for this.  Maybe your app can.  Or can any app?

I am seeking a solution for automatically connecting to a BT keyboard after a KB timeout.  It seems that without feedback from the KB BT cannot automatically connect.  To initate a connection I have to:

1. Turn On BT
2. Turn on BT on my keyboard (which usually autoconnects the first time)

But then to reconnect after a timeout (about 30 minutes of inactivity)

1.  Try typing something on the keyboard (sometimes autoconnects.  If not, 2 below)
2.  Hit the BT share name in the tablet device list (Kensington BT Keyboard.  Then the tablet says Connecting...) But I still need to do 3 below.  The tablet will not autoconnect if the KB isn't tying to connect.
3.  Also be tying something on KB at the same time as the above is "connecting..." or press the "connect" button on the KB.
Is there no solutions for this?  How is connecting to a feedback device different than a passive device (A2DP)?

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:58:39 PM UTC-7, Jim Roal wrote:
I am the developer of A2DP Volume and I would be happy to integrate with Tasker.  Just add it to my issues list here: http://code.google.com/p/a2dpvolume/issues/list

I am busy with some unrelated stuff for the next month or so but when I get back to working on this app I work the issues in priority so launch an issue to integrate with Tasker and star that issue so i can see the interest level.

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:40:10 AM UTC-5, baudi wrote:
Bluetooth auto connect doesn't work on my Galaxy S3 with ICS 4.004.

BUT, I found something that does work: A2DP Volume

It doesn't have a Tasker Plugin, but it does have settings that allow you to specify that the A2DP output should automatically connect when, for example, you enter Car Mode.

Seems to work fine for my phone, when nothing else I tried would work.

Thanks to Ada in this thread for pointing the way.

elf

Mar 31, 2013, 8:54:01 PM3/31/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim-

It may just work right out of the box.  I just OTA installed it, it found my keyboard, and connected to it when I typed something!  Now I will let it timeout and see if it's able to reconnect to it automagically.  That would really make my day!  And prompt you to consider renaming your app to "Univeral BT Auto Connection Tool".  I'll keep you posted if it works or not.  How long will your app "listen" for broadcasters?  Indefinitely or does it timeout if a connection is not made?

elf

Mar 31, 2013, 10:39:31 PM3/31/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim-

Well, let me just say WOW!  So far I have not been able to throw your app a curve.  It has reconnected to my keyboard every time, every way I tried.  All I have to do is turn it on or if its on start typing.  This is wonderful and exactly what I have been looking for. I'll have to give it a working week's test drive but so far I am very impressed.  I'll make sure to give it 5 stars and you please make sure to change the name to at least "A2DP Volume Plus" and integrate it with Tasker as a plugin for everyone to enjoy automating its usefullness.  I think your app demonstrates there should be no difference between connecting to an active (feedback device like KB or mouse) vs passive (A2DP: headset, speakers) BT device.  It just seems nobody else can get it right.  Good job mate. Hard to find quality these days, and especially for free.  Thanks!

elf

Mar 31, 2013, 11:31:24 PM3/31/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:58:39 PM UTC-7, Jim Roal wrote:
> I am the developer of A2DP Volume and I would be happy to integrate with Tasker.  Just add it to my issues list here: http://code.google.com/p/a2dpvolume/issues/list
>
> I am busy with some unrelated stuff for the next month or so but when I get back to working on this app I work the issues in priority so launch an issue to integrate with Tasker and star that issue so i can see the interest level.
>
> On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:40:10 AM UTC-5, baudi wrote:Bluetooth auto connect doesn't work on my Galaxy S3 with ICS 4.004.
>

> BUT, I found something that does work: A2DP Volume
>

> It doesn't have a Tasker Plugin, but it does have settings that allow you to specify that the A2DP output should automatically connect when, for example, you enter Car Mode.
>

> Seems to work fine for my phone, when nothing else I tried would work.
>

> Thanks to Ada in this thread for pointing the way.

Hi Jim-

Sorry to report it just failed. Or rather your app saw the keyboard input and flashed a notification like it always does, but this time it did not toggle the connection in the device settings. I had just run a RAM cleaner, but after it ran your app was still in my notification panel and still connnected to my keyboard. But a short time after that it (was?) relaunched for some reason then it didn't reconnect the KB to the system. Its probably a JB BT issue of some kind because your app saw the input, the system was just blind to your apps notifications. Hope 4.2.0 is better than 4.1.1 with this. I would love to get it solved.

misterpy...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2014, 7:38:40 PM4/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have a better solution to this. It seems that half of the people here that have tried it say it's not compatible.

I just use the Secure Settings Tasker plugin. Just set your action as Plugin -> Secure Settings -> Configuration -> Actions -> BT Connection. Then you just select your BT device from the drop down and choose to enable it. Also, you can check the box to automatically enable bluetooth. I use this plugin for a profile that is:

Context:  Music App

Task:  Turn on BT and automatically connect to "Red Speaker" device.

It hasn't given me issues yet.

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, running stock Touchwiz Android 4.3. Model is SCH-I545 with build number MK2.

Hope this helps anyone!

Arne Hoe

Dec 2, 2015, 8:12:25 AM12/2/15
to Tasker
It worked for me (Samsung S4, CM12.1) - excellent solution when 'force connect to specific BT device' is not available directly in Tasker (as far as i found out).
Thanks a lot!