Google Voice SMS and Tasker Profile Activation

V-Player

Sep 26, 2010, 2:40:49 PM9/26/10
to Tasker
I have a profile where if someone sends me a text message it will
activate a profile unfortunately I use google voice for texting so I
was wondering is there a way to do this without using texting from my
carrier and google voice instead.

Pent

Sep 27, 2010, 10:01:43 AM9/27/10
to Tasker
There's a todo list item:

> google voice functions: http://code.google.com/p/google-voice-java/, SMS, which phones to ring

Pent

V-Player

Sep 27, 2010, 11:13:38 AM9/27/10
to Tasker
I am confused, What I am trying to do is this http://tasker.wikidot.com/locatephone,
but it wont work since I am using google voice for texting.

Pent

Sep 27, 2010, 1:16:52 PM9/27/10
to Tasker
> I am confused, What I am trying to do is thishttp://tasker.wikidot.com/locatephone,
> but it wont work since I am using google voice for texting.

I didn't write that and I don't know how it works. I also don't use
google voice, so I have
no idea how the texting integrates. But when I get round to looking at
GV I'll see
if I can get the SMSs working (it's on the todo list as mentioned).

Pent

V-Player

Sep 27, 2010, 4:11:42 PM9/27/10
to Tasker
Let me simplify my question, I want to make %SMSRF with google voice
as well as the carrier's texting.

short/y

Sep 27, 2010, 5:09:33 PM9/27/10
to Tasker
You can't. At least not until Pent adds support for Google Voice's
text messaging capability to Tasker.
--
Tony

cristian

Oct 1, 2010, 9:41:45 AM10/1/10
to Tasker
I have the same problem.
We hope Pent will put this in the todo-list.

Pent

Oct 1, 2010, 11:10:55 AM10/1/10
to Tasker
Next version Tasker will support variable replacements in plugin
strings, hopefully
the Steelgirder dev will make the needed changes on his side soon,
it's pretty simple.

Pent

hbearca

Nov 1, 2010, 2:48:43 PM11/1/10
to Tasker
Definitely need this.

I was hoping Steelgirderdev's plug-in would let me use %SMSRF to auto-
reply to people texting me on my Verizon number to ask them to switch
to my GV number (as I am not paying for a texting plan) (and reply
using the outgoing GV SMS)

A month later...hopefully something soon. In the meantime, I guess
I'll spend the 20 cents/message to reply via Verizon SMS in Tasker.

We also need some way to pull info from the incoming GV SMS, but I
guess that's also on Steelgirderdev's side of things.

hbear

On Oct 1, 8:10 am, Pent <tas...@dinglisch.net> wrote:
> Next version Tasker will support variable replacements in plugin
> strings, hopefully
> theSteelgirderdev will make the needed changes on his side soon,

Pent

Nov 2, 2010, 5:45:42 AM11/2/10
to Tasker
> We also need some way to pull info from the incoming GV SMS, but I
> guess that's also on Steelgirderdev's side of things.

You see the GV SMS's in the standard messaging app right ?
If so, then I may have something soon on that side.

Pent

hbearca

Nov 2, 2010, 5:52:01 PM11/2/10
to Tasker
Unfortunately I don't see GV SMS in the android text message
app...only in the GV app.
I could configure my GV account (online) to forward to the standard
messaging app...but that negates a major point of using GV for SMS.
I want to avoid paying Verizon the 20 cents/msg or paying for a flat-
rate message plan when GV SMS is free.

hbear

Pent

Nov 4, 2010, 6:24:14 AM11/4/10
to Tasker
> Unfortunately I don't see GV SMS in the android text message
> app...only in the GV app.

Oh, someone else told me they saw the messages in their messaging app.
They must've been forwarding.

> I could configure my GV account (online) to forward to the standard
> messaging app...but that negates a major point of using GV for SMS.

Sure.

Well in that case I don't think it's possible unforturnately, without
polling the GV account
online. I couldn't find anything on how the Google Voice app stores
its data.

Pent