Re: Cell Radio Off When Wifi is Connected

Pent

Sep 25, 2012, 2:33:16 AM9/25/12
to Tasker
> I want to turn the cell radio off whenever wifi is connected. This means
> enabling airplane mode upon wifi connection (thus losing wifi) then turning
> wifi back on. Kind of a pain, but should be doable.

You can also try changing Airplane Mode Radios so wifi is not affected
by Airplane Mode.

> I added some delays and state checking but tasked always seems to reverse
> whatever change I've made as soon as the profile becomes inactive. I've

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/faq-how.html#cx

Pent

mpizgatti

Sep 25, 2012, 2:36:23 AM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
When airplane mode starts it turns off wifi. If not completed the task yet, it stops. So it's connected to wifi, airplane turns on, wifi goes off. Then the profile ends.

mpizgatti

Sep 25, 2012, 2:38:55 AM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Then after that, your profile for the variable being not set and airplane on.....that one turns airplane off....which then searches for wifi again and so on....

jimmoffet

Sep 25, 2012, 12:51:06 PM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You're talking about the "Radio Off" task, right? Turning wifi on is the step immediately after turning on airplane mode, are you saying that there should be a delay?

jimmoffet

Sep 25, 2012, 1:01:12 PM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The "Radio On" task waits for the the variable %WIFITIME to be unset. This variable gets unset in the "Radio Off" task, the order is airplane on, then wifi on, then wait 30 seconds, then unset %WIFITIME. There is no profile that should be triggered by %WIFITIME being unset, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I think I might need to delay clearing %WIFICON when wifi ends, I'll try 30 seconds and see what that does.

jimmoffet

Sep 25, 2012, 1:06:15 PM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I saw that and tried to use it but when airplane mode is on and you turn wifi on in airplane radios, it doesn't actually turn wifi on... I also tried modifying airplane radios before turning airplane mode on, I couldn't get either setting to give me wifi when airplane mode was on. The only way to get wifi on in airplane mode seems to be to turn it on directly.

It could just be my phone (Galaxy Nexus).

mpizgatti

Sep 25, 2012, 2:46:50 PM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You have a profile that says if wifi variable isn't set and airplane is on, turn off airplane?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qdDRIQet5pY/UGDyxtVPxyI/AAAAAAAAFhM/NwBtCb2zUlc/s1600/ProfilePlaneOnWificonUnset.png

jimmoffet

Sep 25, 2012, 3:28:09 PM9/25/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Pent. I was being lazy and didn't do my research about Airplane Mode Radios. It turns out that you need to check the boxes for the radios you want to kill when Airplane Mode is turned on.

Now I have a simple solution with 1 profile, 1 entry task and 1 exit task

Profile is active when (state) wifi is connected.

Entry task, set Airplane Mode Radios (check all boxes except wifi), then set Airplane Mode.

Exit task, unset Airplane Mode.

Super easy!

Thanks again-
Jim

Christopher Cote

Jul 4, 2014, 8:12:03 AM7/4/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
This worked great for me, Thanks Jim!

MD5Hash

Sep 18, 2014, 10:36:40 AM9/18/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to say - this worked great. Best instructions I've found yet for shutting off just the Cell radio (I use bluetooth headsets and NFC so I left those on, only checking Cell) to use wifi data instead. The new Hangouts update 2.3 allows all calls to be routed to/from VoIP too, so now at work I can kill the battery draining cell radio entirely!

Keep in mind everyone, you'll need secure settings AND busybox plugins in order to do this root level stuff.