A simple exercise

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 9:45:06 AM6/1/19
Go through the history of mass shootings such as the one yesterday in Virginia
Beach. Count the number of fatalities that occurred before the attacker was met
with armed resistance and the number of fatalities that occurred after the
attacker was met with armed resistance. Go back as far as you like. When you do
that, you should get a clue as to how best to minimize the carnage when one of
these nutcases decides to go postal. Of course that would exclude most instances
in which the attacker was met early on with armed resistance because those didn't
turn into mass shootings.

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 10:50:00 AM6/1/19
What percent of the world's population lives in the US?

(Hint: about 4.5% or so.)

What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?

(Hint: about 34% or so.)

Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again. It
seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
true, naught?

Snit

Jun 1, 2019, 10:57:52 AM6/1/19
It is true.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger. They cling to their attacks
and ignore the message time and time again.

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 12:43:11 PM6/1/19
On 1 Jun 2019 14:57:50 GMT, in talk.politics.guns Snit
<use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>bigdog <a...@b.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 06:45:04 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
>> <jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Go through the history of mass shootings such as the one yesterday in Virginia
>>> Beach. Count the number of fatalities that occurred before the attacker was met
>>> with armed resistance and the number of fatalities that occurred after the
>>> attacker was met with armed resistance. Go back as far as you like. When you do
>>> that, you should get a clue as to how best to minimize the carnage when one of
>>> these nutcases decides to go postal. Of course that would exclude most instances
>>> in which the attacker was met early on with armed resistance because those didn't
>>> turn into mass shootings.
>>
>> What percent of the world's population lives in the US?
>>
>> (Hint: about 4.5% or so.)
>>
>> What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?
>>
>> (Hint: about 34% or so.)
>>
>> Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again. It
>> seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
>> true, naught?
>>

>It is true.

The other uncomfortable statistic is that, while our relative
population has declined by about 0.2% since 1993, the US contribution
to the world's civilian gun deaths has increased by almost 1.1% over
the same time period.

All this as they keep telling us that our rate of violence is
declining... that's why public school teachers in the US have to be
armed to hold class... that's why I have to strap on a Glock and put
two expanded capacity magazines in my pocket just to empty the
trash... that's why our churches hold lock-down drills.

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 12:53:21 PM6/1/19
On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 10:50:00 AM UTC-4, bigdog wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 06:45:04 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
> <jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Go through the history of mass shootings such as the one yesterday in Virginia
> >Beach. Count the number of fatalities that occurred before the attacker was met
> >with armed resistance and the number of fatalities that occurred after the
> >attacker was met with armed resistance. Go back as far as you like. When you do
> >that, you should get a clue as to how best to minimize the carnage when one of
> >these nutcases decides to go postal. Of course that would exclude most instances
> >in which the attacker was met early on with armed resistance because those didn't
> >turn into mass shootings.
>
> What percent of the world's population lives in the US?
>
> (Hint: about 4.5% or so.)
>
> What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?
>
> (Hint: about 34% or so.)

2/3 of which are suicides.

> Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again. It
> seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
> true, naught?

If you look at all the countries of he world instead of just cherry picking, you
will find that there are lots of countries with strict gun laws that have gun
deaths well above their percentage of the world population. You will also find countries where guns are plentiful with lower than average gun deaths.

Michael Ejercito

Jun 1, 2019, 1:02:13 PM6/1/19
Forger, the rate of criminal homicide has been declining for a quarter century.

That is why you anti-gun cultists deny it just as surely as Holocaust deniers deny the Wannsee Conference.

Michael

Michael Ejercito

Jun 1, 2019, 1:03:36 PM6/1/19

"bigdog" wrote in message

>On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 10:50:00 AM UTC-4, bigdog wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 06:45:04 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
>> <jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Go through the history of mass shootings such as the one yesterday in
>> >Virginia
>> >Beach. Count the number of fatalities that occurred before the attacker
>> >was met
>> >with armed resistance and the number of fatalities that occurred after
>> >the
>> >attacker was met with armed resistance. Go back as far as you like. When
>> >you do
>> >that, you should get a clue as to how best to minimize the carnage when
>> >one of
>> >these nutcases decides to go postal. Of course that would exclude most
>> >instances
>> >in which the attacker was met early on with armed resistance because
>> >those didn't
>> >turn into mass shootings.
>>
>> What percent of the world's population lives in the US?
>>
>> (Hint: about 4.5% or so.)
>>
>> What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?
>>
>> (Hint: about 34% or so.)
>>
>2/3 of which are suicides.
And many in the anti-gun cult are pro-suicide.

>> Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again. It
>> seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
>> true, naught?

>If you look at all the countries of he world instead of just cherry
>picking, you
>will find that there are lots of countries with strict gun laws that have
>gun
>deaths well above their percentage of the world population. You will also
>find countries where guns are >plentiful with lower than average gun
>deaths.

Without cherry-picking, what argument does the anti-gun cult have?

Michael

---
https://www.avg.com

max headroom

Jun 1, 2019, 5:38:22 PM6/1/19
In news:4s35fedmh3feoqp5r...@4ax.com, !Jones <a...@b.com> typed:
> Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again....

Are you equating crime with civilian gun deaths? If so, why?

> ... It seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
> true, naught?

Well, DUH! We got more guns! Most governments won't recognise their citizens' right to keep and bear
arms, and some have even brow-beat their once-noble people into surrendering their guns to their
"benevolent" overlords.

I don't know why ya'll are so concerned with deaths by gunshots and not by overall intentional
homicides. Using that metric, the U.S. is in the middle of the pack at #144 out of 230.

Violent people are the problem, not the instruments used to inflict violence.

benj

Jun 1, 2019, 6:02:23 PM6/1/19
On 6/1/2019 10:50 AM, Fakebigdog drooled:
I presume as usual you just made up this statistic. If the US has 10x
the murders then it's murder RATE should be 10x everyone else. Oddly
it's solidly in the middle of the pack.

Anyway if all citizens are disarmed as you neomarxists propose, then we
would have to compete with the hundreds of millions murdered in USSSR,
China, Cambodia, etc. Etc. You are a pretty sick puppy. Your fake name
is already a big hint.

Just Wondering

Jun 1, 2019, 6:08:53 PM6/1/19
Go ahead and look at the USA. From 1993 to date both the
actual number of guns and the guns per capita increased
substantially. If your hypothesis is correct, the USA gun
deaths per capita should also have increased substantially.
Instead, the gun death rate DECREASED substantially.

It's not so much that "more guns = less crime" is a truism,
it's that the USA's actual experience establishes that "more
guns = more crimes" is not accurate.

Just Wondering

Jun 1, 2019, 6:34:05 PM6/1/19
On 6/1/2019 10:43 AM, bigdog wrote:

> The other uncomfortable statistic is that, while our relative
> population has declined by about 0.2% since 1993, the US
> contribution to the world's civilian gun deaths has increased
> by almost 1.1% over the same time period.

In 1993 the USA had over 17,000 gun homicides. Despite total
population growth from 260 million to 323 million, in 2016
the USA had 11,000 gun homicides. In other words, USA's gun
murder rate in 2016 was only 52% of the 1993 rate.

> All this as they keep telling us that our rate of violence is
> declining...

Because it is, see above.

> that's why public school teachers in the US have to be
> armed to hold class...

That's a flat out lie.

> that's why I have to strap on a Glock and put two expanded
> capacity magazines in my pocket just to empty the trash.

Then you live in one of the most crime ridden areas in the
country and should give serious thought to moving to a more
peaceful locale.

"The United States can really be divided up into three types
of places. Places where there are no murders, places where
there are a few murders, and places where murders are very common.

In 2014, the most recent year that a county level breakdown
is available, 54% of counties (with 11% of the population)
have no murders. 69% of counties have no more than one murder,
and about 20% of the population. These counties account for
only 4% of all murders in the country.

The worst 1% of counties have 19% of the population and 37% of
the murders. The worst 5% of counties contain 47% of the
population and account for 68% of murders. As shown in figure
2, over half of murders occurred in only 2% of counties."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-01/51-murders-us-come-just-2-counties

> that's why our churches hold lock-down drills.

How many churches in the USA? How many of them "hold
lock-down drills"? More than one out of a thousand?

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 8:32:15 PM6/1/19
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 10:02:11 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns Michael
Ejercito <meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Forger, the rate of criminal homicide has been declining for a quarter century.
>
> That is why you anti-gun cultists deny it just as surely as Holocaust deniers deny the Wannsee Conference.

Flaccid Richard, you persist in trying to steer the discussion to the
"rate of criminal homicide"... yes, that has been in decline worldwide
for a quarter century; it has been declining independently of guns in
all countries because it rises and falls on a predictable 55-year (or
so) cycle. Actually, it's now rising again, or so many people
believe.

May I remind you that this is "talk.politics.guns"? Why not take that
discussion to "alt.activism.homicide"?

Focus on gun deaths in the US... these are *way* up. Do you have any
comment on that matter?

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 8:51:14 PM6/1/19
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 09:53:20 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
<jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?
>>
>> (Hint: about 34% or so.)
>>
>2/3 of which are suicides.

No, they aren't; however, a significant number are. A death by a gun,
however, is still a death by a gun even if it's self inflicted. Have
you ever tried to explain to a grieving widow, parent, child, or
sibling why their loved one chose to end his or her life? Do you
think that's any easier than dealing with a violent crime? Do you
think sucicide isn't a violent act? Have you ever had a suicide in
your immediate family?

You're a nitwit, sir.

max headroom

Jun 1, 2019, 9:56:52 PM6/1/19
In news:tb66fe9377qdmbblf...@4ax.com, !Jones <a...@b.com> typed:

> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 09:53:20 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
> <jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?

>>> (Hint: about 34% or so.)

>>2/3 of which are suicides.

> No, they aren't; however, a significant number are....

In 2016, the U.S. suffered ~4.8/100,000 homicides, 12/100,000 suicides. That's 71%+ suicides of
total intentional deaths.

bigdog

Jun 1, 2019, 10:26:27 PM6/1/19
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 18:56:37 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max
headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com> wrote:

>In 2016, the U.S. suffered ~4.8/100,000 homicides, 12/100,000 suicides. That's 71%+ suicides of
>total intentional deaths.

About half of the gun deaths are suicide; however, it's the same rate
everywhere so the ratio holds... as best we know. The US has 4.8% of
the world's population and produces 34% of the gun deaths. It's the
same if you want to take suicide out, but I won't let you do that
because a suicide by gun is still a gun death. I never said
"non-suicides"; I just said "gun deaths"... even if you do, the
percent holds.

Just Wondering

Jun 1, 2019, 10:49:59 PM6/1/19
Well, to be fair, 2/3 isn't 71% ...

Just Wondering

Jun 1, 2019, 11:07:14 PM6/1/19
On 6/1/2019 8:26 PM, bigdog wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 18:56:37 "max headroom" wrote:
>
>> In 2016, the U.S. suffered ~4.8/100,000 homicides, 12/100,000 suicides.
>> That's 71%+ suicides of total intentional deaths.
>
> About half of the gun deaths are suicide;

If "almost half" is the same as "over two-thirds", that would
be correct.

> however, it's the same rate everywhere so the ratio holds...

Prove it. But you won't. You can't because it's bullshit.

> as best we know.

"We" know no such thing.

> The US has 4.8% of the world's population and produces 34% of the gun deaths.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2018-08-28/study-brazil-us-mexico-lead-the-world-in-gun-deaths

251,00 global deaths in 2016; 37,200 in USA. What school taught
you that 14.8% equals 34%? When you so obviously falsify data, why
should anybody believe a single thing you say?

> It's the same if you want to take suicide out,

Prove it. But you won't. You can't because it's bullshit.

but I won't let you do that because a suicide by gun is still a gun death.

> I never said "non-suicides"; I just said "gun deaths"... even if
> you do, the percent holds.

Repeating the same lie does not make it more true.

It's not the same problem, though. The two leading causes of
premature death are heart disease and cancer. If you want to
reduce those deaths, you treat heart patients quite differently
than cancer patients. Similarly, if you want to address the
problem you can't treat homicides and suicides the same way.
That's why it makes no sense to pretend they're the same problem.

max headroom

Jun 2, 2019, 2:13:11 AM6/2/19
In news:rkc6fe57si7eptq23...@4ax.com, !Jones <a...@b.com> typed:

> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 18:56:37 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max
> headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com> wrote:

>>In 2016, the U.S. suffered ~4.8/100,000 homicides, 12/100,000 suicides. That's 71%+ suicides of
>>total intentional deaths.

> About half of the gun deaths are suicide;...

Wrong, Jonesy. If you have contradictory data, trot it out now or stand exposed as the liar you are.

Show your work.

> ... however, it's the same rate
> everywhere so the ratio holds... as best we know. The US has 4.8% of
> the world's population and produces 34% of the gun deaths...

So what? We have more guns. You can't shoot Filipe with your machete... but you can kill him with it
nevertheless.

> ... It's the same if you want to take suicide out, but I won't let you do that
> because a suicide by gun is still a gun death. I never said
> "non-suicides"; I just said "gun deaths"... even if you do, the
> percent holds.

So what? Guns aren't causing suicides. Austria and the Czech Republic each have 12.8/100K suicides,
New Zealand 13.2/100K, Belgium 13.5/100K, France 15/100K, Finland 16.8/100K, Russia 21.4/100K, Japan
21.7/100K, China 22.23/100K, and South Korea 24.1/100K. Peaceful Greenland suffered 108.1 suicides
per 100,000. Are you claiming guns caused all those suicides?

Show your work.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 2:23:26 AM6/2/19
How can guns cause suicides? Secret rays melding with your mind.? What
is a fact is that if you live in a household with a gun you are more
likely to commit suicide then in a household without a gun in Australia.
True in the US as well

max headroom

Jun 2, 2019, 2:39:03 AM6/2/19
In news:CvqdndDqlYrF9m7B...@westnet.com.au, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com> typed:

> How can guns cause suicides? Secret rays melding with your mind.? What
> is a fact is that if you live in a household with a gun you are more
> likely to commit suicide then(sic) in a household without a gun in Australia.
> True in the US as well

Are you more likely to attempt suicide in a home with a gun?

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 2:49:14 AM6/2/19
My statement was very clear, I shall reiterate - fact if you live in a
household with a gun you are more likely to commit suicide then in a
household without a gun.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 3:12:24 AM6/2/19
Another opinion with no supporting evidence. You may not be good
at much, but at least you're good at that.

All you can really say with confidence is that a suicidal person
is more likely to use a gun to commit suicide if he has a gun than
if he doesn't. No surprises there. And it doesn't justify more
gun control laws which is where critters like you inevitably want
to take the conversation.

max headroom

Jun 2, 2019, 3:24:33 AM6/2/19
In news:Aq2dnXKuV8b57G7B...@westnet.com.au, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com> typed:
> household without a gun.

If you don't know the answer, just say so.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:37:12 AM6/2/19
So we agree that act if you live in a household with a gun you are more
likely to commit suicide then in a household without a gun. As I implied
in my questions to you i.e "How can guns cause suicides? Secret rays
melding with your mind.? " guns don't cause anything, so the answer is
no. Would reducing the rate of household gun ownership reduce suicide
rates? he answer from that data is yes. It is not a hard concept but
have a think.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:41:53 AM6/2/19
Posted numerous times, a quick google search should let you see them
again. Unless of course you need spoon feeding

You may not be good
> at much, but at least you're good at that.
>
> All you can really say with confidence is that a suicidal person
> is more likely to use a gun to commit suicide if he has a gun than
> if he doesn't.

Actually I've seen no evidence that this is correct or not

>  No surprises there.  And it doesn't justify more
> gun control laws which is where critters like you inevitably want
> to take the conversation.

Actually it is just showing that suicide data should be included in the
data discussing the total no. of deaths from the use of guns

eri...@home.com

Jun 2, 2019, 4:55:04 AM6/2/19
Only if you assume that the likelihood of committing suicide is equal across all households, which is ridiculous. The fact is that most households will not experience a suicide no matter how many guns are present.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 5:00:08 AM6/2/19
It is not the gun that causes the suicide

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 5:08:24 AM6/2/19
You're a nitwit if you think a person who wants to kill him/herself is going to
be prevented from doing so by a lack of a gun. How do you propose to keep guns
out of the hands of such people? If these people don't have a criminal record,
what is to prevent them from getting a gun and even if they do have a criminal
record, there are illegal means of obtaining a gun. A person who intends to kill
themselves isn't going to be sweating the legal consequences.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 5:13:47 AM6/2/19
It means that people who want to kill themselves would just find another means
if a gun wasn't available. The only way to keep potential suicides from
obtaining a gun is to deprive everyone from obtaining a gun which seems to be
the agenda of the gun grabbers.

If you are so afraid that having a gun in your house is going to make you more
likely to kill yourself than you have every right not to have one. Just don't
try to force your choice on the rest of us.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 5:30:01 AM6/2/19
On 2/06/2019 7:13 pm, bigdog wrote:
> On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 3:37:12 AM UTC-4, de chucka wrote:
>> On 2/06/2019 5:22 pm, max headroom wrote:
>>> In news:Aq2dnXKuV8b57G7B...@westnet.com.au, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com> typed:

>>> If you don't know the answer, just say so.
>>
>> So we agree that act if you live in a household with a gun you are more
>> likely to commit suicide then in a household without a gun. As I implied
>> in my questions to you i.e "How can guns cause suicides? Secret rays
>> melding with your mind.? " guns don't cause anything, so the answer is
>> no. Would reducing the rate of household gun ownership reduce suicide
>> rates? he answer from that data is yes. It is not a hard concept but
>> have a think.
>
> It means that people who want to kill themselves would just find another means
> if a gun wasn't available.

Some will most won't because suicide is often a spontaneous act. A
couple of minutes getting that rope or organising the pills etc give
time for second thought. Of course these methods aren't as effective
either. These re the reason for the results from those studies

> The only way to keep potential suicides from
> obtaining a gun is to deprive everyone from obtaining a gun which seems to be
> the agenda of the gun grabbers.

I'm setting out the data you can use it anyway you want

> If you are so afraid that having a gun in your house is going to make you more
> likely to kill yourself than you have every right not to have one.

Make you? Do your guns have mind melding sessions with you saying "kill
yourself"

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 5:31:21 AM6/2/19
On 2/06/2019 7:08 pm, bigdog wrote:
> On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 8:51:14 PM UTC-4, bigdog wrote:

>>> 2/3 of which are suicides.
>>
>> No, they aren't; however, a significant number are. A death by a gun,
>> however, is still a death by a gun even if it's self inflicted. Have
>> you ever tried to explain to a grieving widow, parent, child, or
>> sibling why their loved one chose to end his or her life? Do you
>> think that's any easier than dealing with a violent crime? Do you
>> think sucicide isn't a violent act? Have you ever had a suicide in
>> your immediate family?
>>
>> You're a nitwit, sir.
>
> You're a nitwit if you think a person who wants to kill him/herself is going to
> be prevented from doing so by a lack of a gun.

They are not all going to be prevented but as guns are so effective and
efficient they leave no times for second thoughts.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 8:23:05 AM6/2/19
Did you just pull that out of your ass?

> A couple of minutes getting that rope or organising the pills etc give
> time for second thought. Of course these methods aren't as effective
> either. These re the reason for the results from those studies
>
> > The only way to keep potential suicides from
> > obtaining a gun is to deprive everyone from obtaining a gun which seems to be
> > the agenda of the gun grabbers.
>
> I'm setting out the data you can use it anyway you want

What data?

> > If you are so afraid that having a gun in your house is going to make you more
> > likely to kill yourself than you have every right not to have one.
>
> Make you? Do your guns have mind melding sessions with you saying "kill
> yourself"

You got this backward, Skippy. You are the one who is claiming that having a gun
in the house means you more likely to commit suicide.

\

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 8:24:18 AM6/2/19
On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 5:31:21 AM UTC-4, de chucka wrote:
> On 2/06/2019 7:08 pm, bigdog wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 8:51:14 PM UTC-4, bigdog wrote:

> >> No, they aren't; however, a significant number are. A death by a gun,
> >> however, is still a death by a gun even if it's self inflicted. Have
> >> you ever tried to explain to a grieving widow, parent, child, or
> >> sibling why their loved one chose to end his or her life? Do you
> >> think that's any easier than dealing with a violent crime? Do you
> >> think sucicide isn't a violent act? Have you ever had a suicide in
> >> your immediate family?
> >>
> >> You're a nitwit, sir.
> >
> > You're a nitwit if you think a person who wants to kill him/herself is going to
> > be prevented from doing so by a lack of a gun.
>
> They are not all going to be prevented but as guns are so effective and
> efficient they leave no times for second thoughts.

Damn, you are getting desperate to make a point.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 12:35:41 PM6/2/19
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 09:50:01 -0500, Jones<a...@b.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 06:45:04 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
><jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Go through the history of mass shootings such as the one yesterday in Virginia
>>Beach. Count the number of fatalities that occurred before the attacker was met
>>with armed resistance and the number of fatalities that occurred after the
>>attacker was met with armed resistance. Go back as far as you like. When you do
>>that, you should get a clue as to how best to minimize the carnage when one of
>>these nutcases decides to go postal. Of course that would exclude most instances
>>in which the attacker was met early on with armed resistance because those didn't
>>turn into mass shootings.
>
>What percent of the world's population lives in the US?
>
>(Hint: about 4.5% or so.)
>
>What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?
>
>(Hint: about 34% or so.)
>
>Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again. It
>seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
>true, naught?

Well, you'd think that if you were stupid, and--

Oh.

It's you, Jones.

Never mind.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 12:36:22 PM6/2/19
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 11:43:12 -0500, Jones<a...@b.com> wrote:

>On 1 Jun 2019 14:57:50 GMT, in talk.politics.guns Snit
><use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>
>>bigdog <a...@b.com> wrote:

>>> What percent of the world's population lives in the US?
>>>
>>> (Hint: about 4.5% or so.)
>>>
>>> What percent of the world's civilian gun deaths occur in the US?
>>>
>>> (Hint: about 34% or so.)
>>>
>>> Please explain that: "More Guns = Less Crime" equation again. It
>>> seems like we should have less than 4.5% of the gun deaths if it's
>>> true, naught?
>>>

>>It is true.
>
>The other uncomfortable statistic is that, while our relative
>population has declined by about 0.2% since 1993

What *are* you babbling about now?

Michael Ejercito

Jun 2, 2019, 12:54:57 PM6/2/19

"de chucka" wrote in message

>On 2/06/2019 5:22 pm, max headroom wrote:
>> In news:Aq2dnXKuV8b57G7B...@westnet.com.au, de chucka
>> ><Dech...@hotmail.com> typed:

>>> My statement was very clear, I shall reiterate - fact if you live in a
>>> household with a gun you are more likely to commit suicide then(sic) in
>>> household without a gun.
>>
>> If you don't know the answer, just say so.

>So we agree that act if you live in a household with a gun you are more
>likely to commit suicide then in a household without a gun.
So I guess we should disarm the Secret Service security detail in the
White House?

Can't have suicides in the White House, you know.

Michael

---
https://www.avg.com

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 1:34:42 PM6/2/19
So you say - again without producing any evidence.

> a quick google search should let you see them again.

Not my job to find your evidence for you.

>> All you can really say with confidence is that a suicidal person
>> is more likely to use a gun to commit suicide if he has a gun than
>> if he doesn't.
>
> Actually I've seen no evidence that this is correct or not

This is simple logic. Start with a suicidal person.
Likelihood that SP will use a gun if he has no gun = 0.
Likelihood he will use a gun if he has a gun > 0.

>> No surprises there.  And it doesn't justify more gun control
>> laws which is where critters like you inevitably want
>> to take the conversation.
>
> Actually it is just showing that suicide data should be included in
> the data discussing the total no. of deaths from the use of guns.

That depends on what you're going to do with the data once
you have it.
If as you say that's all it does, then you agree the data
doesn't justify more gun control laws.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 1:37:30 PM6/2/19
On 6/2/2019 2:59 AM, de chucka wrote:
> On 2/06/2019 6:55 pm, eri...@home.com wrote:

>>> My statement was very clear, I shall reiterate - fact if you live in a
>>> household with a gun you are more likely to commit suicide then in a
>>> household without a gun.
>>
>> Only if you assume that the likelihood of committing suicide is equal
>> across all households, which is ridiculous.  The fact is that most > >
>> households will not experience a suicide no matter how many guns are
>> present.
>
> It is not the gun that causes the suicide

You are claiming that the mere fact you have a gun makes it more
likely you will commit suicide than if you don't have a gun. Of
course you say a lot of other bullshit too.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 1:40:22 PM6/2/19
On 6/2/2019 3:29 AM, de chucka wrote:
> On 2/06/2019 7:13 pm, bigdog wrote:
>>
>> It means that people who want to kill themselves would just find
>> another means if a gun wasn't available.
>
> Some will most won't because suicide is often a spontaneous act.

You spelled "rarely" wrong. Suicide is rarely a spontaneous act.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 1:43:51 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 19:29:51 +1000, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Cite.

Meanwhile...

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/suicide/understanding-and-overcoming-myths-suicide

But if you want to prove us wrong, do it right now.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 1:44:13 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 18:59:59 +1000, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Good girl!

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 2:21:15 PM6/2/19
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 21:49:40 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max
I'm not about to follow you down a rat hole. The US has about 4.5% of
the world's population and contributes 34% of the world's gun deaths.

Yes, general crime is down somewhat worldwide. It depends on which of
the Google links you like best; however, the US falls between the 55th
and 45th percentiles; if we were graded on a curve, we'd get a 'C'.
We're pretty close to where we were in 1999... somewhere about the
middle of the pack (and much better than Venezuela!) Compared to the
rest of the planet, the US crime rate hasn't changed significantly...
but I'm not talking about that.

Where the US jumps off the chart is in gun deaths. We don't just have
more gun deaths, we have seven times as many as our closest comparable
country and about 20 times more than the mean. My definition of a
"comparable country" is one with a Human Development Index at or above
a 0.9 There are about 25 countries in that group... western Europe,
Canada, the UK, Australia, Japan, Scandinavia... you know.

We need to lose some guns.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 2:26:29 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 02:08:23 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
<jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You're a nitwit if you think a person who wants to kill him/herself is going to
>be prevented from doing so by a lack of a gun.

Again, you keep trying to take off on a tangent. If I don't have a
gun, I can't kill anyone with a gun, that's all I'm saying. "More
Guns = More Gun Deaths" has been pretty well proven.

General crime is independent of guns; *gun deaths* require guns.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 2:33:12 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 19:31:10 +1000, in talk.politics.guns de chucka
<Dech...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>They are not all going to be prevented but as guns are so effective and
>efficient they leave no times for second thoughts.

We keep getting bogged down in suicide. I can buy a bolt-action .30
caliber rifle in Australia... that ought to work pretty well would be
my guess. Yet, Australia has a much lower gun suicide rate than the
US.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:24:18 PM6/2/19
No

>> A couple of minutes getting that rope or organising the pills etc give
>> time for second thought. Of course these methods aren't as effective
>> either. These re the reason for the results from those studies
>>
>>> The only way to keep potential suicides from
>>> obtaining a gun is to deprive everyone from obtaining a gun which seems to be
>>> the agenda of the gun grabbers.
>>
>> I'm setting out the data you can use it anyway you want
>
> What data?

Not again do you really want me to cite again? Oh well for a start
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/14712990_International_Correlations_Between_Gun_Ownership_and_Rates_of_Homicide_and_Suicide

Don't like that one I can use google

>>> If you are so afraid that having a gun in your house is going to make you more
>>> likely to kill yourself than you have every right not to have one.
>>
>> Make you? Do your guns have mind melding sessions with you saying "kill
>> yourself"
>>
> You got this backward, Skippy. You are the one who is claiming that having a gun
> in the house means you more likely to commit suicide.

Try figuring out the difference of your claim of 'make you' and mine of
'more likely'

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:24:55 PM6/2/19
Cite please

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:29:51 PM6/2/19
I agree with your article ( you did read it didn't you?) the build up to
the act occurs over a period but the actual act is often spontaneous

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:31:21 PM6/2/19
That is what the data shows

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:39:31 PM6/2/19
https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3703934.pdf?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12192220
https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/1814426/accessibility-firearms-risk-suicide-homicide-victimization-among-household-members-systematic

Digest those and I'll keep them coming

>> a quick google search should let you see them again.
>
> Not my job to find your evidence for you.
>

>>> All you can really say with confidence is that a suicidal person
>>> is more likely to use a gun to commit suicide if he has a gun than
>>> if he doesn't.
>>
>> Actually I've seen no evidence that this is correct or not
>
> This is simple logic.  Start with a suicidal person.
> Likelihood that SP will use a gun if he has no gun = 0.
> Likelihood he will use a gun if he has a gun > 0.

OK

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 3:41:49 PM6/2/19
In Australia households with guns have a higher suicide rate then those
without. Not because guns cause suicides but because they are effective
and efficient

max headroom

Jun 2, 2019, 5:52:50 PM6/2/19
In news:kj38fetjv5nln3etp...@4ax.com, !jones <a...@b.com> typed:

> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 21:49:40 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com>
> wrote:
>>In news:rkc6fe57si7eptq23...@4ax.com, !Jones <a...@b.com> typed:

>>> About half of the gun deaths are suicide;...

>>Wrong, Jonesy. If you have contradictory data, trot it out now or stand exposed as the liar you
>>are.

>>Show your work.

[crickets]

>>> ... however, it's the same rate
>>> everywhere so the ratio holds... as best we know. The US has 4.8% of
>>> the world's population and produces 34% of the gun deaths...

>>So what? We have more guns. You can't shoot Filipe with your machete... but you can kill him with
>>it nevertheless.

>>> ... It's the same if you want to take suicide out, but I won't let you do that
>>> because a suicide by gun is still a gun death. I never said
>>> "non-suicides"; I just said "gun deaths"... even if you do, the
>>> percent holds.

>>So what? Guns aren't causing suicides. Austria and the Czech Republic each have 12.8/100K
>>suicides, New Zealand 13.2/100K, Belgium 13.5/100K, France 15/100K, Finland 16.8/100K, Russia
>>21.4/100K, Japan 21.7/100K, China 22.23/100K, and South Korea 24.1/100K. Peaceful Greenland
>>suffered 108.1 suicides per 100,000. Are you claiming guns caused all those suicides?

>>Show your work.

> I'm not about to follow you down a rat hole....

'Fraidy cat! You *can't* show your work because all those suicides are independent of gun ownership.

> ... The US has about 4.5% of the world's population and contributes 34% of the world's gun
> deaths.

So what? We got more guns! Is it any wonder which instrument violent Americans would choose to kill?

We place around #144 in a list of 230 countries for intentional homicides. That means there are
about
85 countries that have more intentional homicides than U.S., and most of them have stricter gun
control laws. The Virgin Islands and the Cayman Islands have intentional homicide rates half again
as high as ours, Grenada, Barbados, and Bermuda twice ours, Anguilla, Bahamas, Trinidad and Jamaica
many times ours, yet all are British territories or British Commonwealth and enjoy Chucky's much
revered "good rule of law."

So, are you concerned with death by violence or just death by gunshot?

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 6:07:36 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 13:21:14 -0500, Jones <a...@b.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 21:49:40 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max
>headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>>In news:rkc6fe57si7eptq23...@4ax.com, !Jones <a...@b.com> typed:

>>> About half of the gun deaths are suicide;...
>>
>>Wrong, Jonesy. If you have contradictory data, trot it out now or stand exposed as the liar you are.
>>
>>Show your work.

[crickets.wav] (© 2019 All Rights Reserved)

>>> ... however, it's the same rate
>>> everywhere so the ratio holds... as best we know. The US has 4.8% of
>>> the world's population and produces 34% of the gun deaths...
>>
>>So what? We have more guns. You can't shoot Filipe with your machete... but you can kill him with it
>>nevertheless.
>>
>>> ... It's the same if you want to take suicide out, but I won't let you do that
>>> because a suicide by gun is still a gun death. I never said
>>> "non-suicides"; I just said "gun deaths"... even if you do, the
>>> percent holds.
>>
>>So what? Guns aren't causing suicides. Austria and the Czech Republic each have 12.8/100K suicides,
>>New Zealand 13.2/100K, Belgium 13.5/100K, France 15/100K, Finland 16.8/100K, Russia 21.4/100K, Japan
>>21.7/100K, China 22.23/100K, and South Korea 24.1/100K. Peaceful Greenland suffered 108.1 suicides
>>per 100,000. Are you claiming guns caused all those suicides?
>>
>>Show your work.

[crickets.wav] (© 2019 All Rights Reserved)

>I'm not about to follow you down a rat hole.

TRANSLATION: Jones wants to be able to claim anything he wants without
the burden of it being true.

[chuckle]

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 6:13:16 PM6/2/19
It'd be nice of Jones would test this theory for us. I would volunteer
to write his suicide note.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 6:35:35 PM6/2/19
USA:
1993-2018 Lots more guns.
1993-2018 Lots fewer gun deaths.
So we have 25 years of recent history saying more guns
does not equal more gun deaths.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 6:35:45 PM6/2/19
On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 2:26:29 PM UTC-4, bigdog wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 02:08:23 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
> <jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >You're a nitwit if you think a person who wants to kill him/herself is going to
> >be prevented from doing so by a lack of a gun.
>
> Again, you keep trying to take off on a tangent. If I don't have a
> gun, I can't kill anyone with a gun, that's all I'm saying.

Did you figure that out all by yourself?

> "More Guns = More Gun Deaths" has been pretty well proven.

No it hasn't. The data says otherwise. Here are the top 15 nations by gun
ownership per capita. A number have them have fewer than 1 homicide per 100,000
people including Iceland which had 0. The article is from 2014.

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/2519/0/15-nations-with-the-highest-gun-ownership.html

A more comprehensive list showing both gun homicides and gun ownership rates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

You will see countries with high gun ownership rates and low gun death rates
as well as countries with low gun ownership rates and high gun death rates.
Note the US which has by far he highest gun ownership rate is not even close to
having the highest gun death rate.

> General crime is independent of guns; *gun deaths* require guns.

Brilliant observation. Knife deaths require knives. Traffic deaths require
traffic.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 6:42:46 PM6/2/19
On 6/2/2019 12:33 PM, bigdog wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 de chucka wrote:
>
>> They are not all going to be prevented but as guns are so effective and
>> efficient they leave no times for second thoughts.
>
> We keep getting bogged down in suicide. I can buy a bolt-action .30
> caliber rifle in Australia... that ought to work pretty well would be
> my guess. Yet, Australia has a much lower gun suicide rate than the
> US.

Still yet, Australia's total suicide rate is only slightly lower than
USA's. (13.2 vs. 15.3 /100,000).
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/suicide-rate-by-country/
Which means that Australia's non-gun suicide rate is higher than USA's.
Which means that Australia's experience shows you don't stop suicides by
hiding the guns.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 6:45:55 PM6/2/19
Nice job of cherry picking the data. The survey included only the US, Canada,
Oz, and 11 Euro nations. I just provided Jonesy with this more comprehensive
list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

It shows countries with high gun ownership rates and low gun death rates and
countries with low gun ownership rates and high gun death rates. The US which
has far an away the highest gun ownership rate isn't even close to having the
highest gun death rate. Also note Iceland with 30.3 guns per 100,000 residents
and only 0.07 gun deaths. I'll bet they weren't part of that cherry picked
survey you posted.

> Don't like that one I can use google

> >> Make you? Do your guns have mind melding sessions with you saying "kill
> >> yourself"
> >>
> > You got this backward, Skippy. You are the one who is claiming that having a gun
> > in the house means you more likely to commit suicide.
>
> Try figuring out the difference of your claim of 'make you' and mine of
> 'more likely'

A difference without a distinction. You're just playing word games now.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 6:47:12 PM6/2/19
Did you provide a cite that "suicide is often a spontaneous act."?

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 6:51:47 PM6/2/19
Wow! They actually compared 14 countries out of 195. Wonder why
they're so afraid to include the others?

"Own at least 1 aircraft carrier?"
"Industrialized?"
"White?"
"Have their own beer?"

[chuckle]

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 2, 2019, 6:59:16 PM6/2/19
LOL

Of course not. Hard to cite a lie.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:01:43 PM6/2/19
Don't like it there are plenty more where that came from

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
>
> It shows countries with high gun ownership rates and low gun death rates and
> countries with low gun ownership rates and high gun death rates. The US which
> has far an away the highest gun ownership rate isn't even close to having the
> highest gun death rate. Also note Iceland with 30.3 guns per 100,000 residents
> and only 0.07 gun deaths. I'll bet they weren't part of that cherry picked
> survey you posted.

You seem a tad off on a tangent

>> Don't like that one I can use google

>>> You got this backward, Skippy. You are the one who is claiming that having a gun
>>> in the house means you more likely to commit suicide.
>>
>> Try figuring out the difference of your claim of 'make you' and mine of
>> 'more likely'
>
> A difference without a distinction.

Is your comprehension that bad?

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 7:02:38 PM6/2/19

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 7:10:37 PM6/2/19
Here is where you support your final statement with actual evidence:
_____________________________

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:16:18 PM6/2/19
No obviously or you could see it. What a stupid question.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 7:17:59 PM6/2/19
Show us the data:
Suicide rate, have a gun is ____ per 100,000.
Suicide rate, have no gun is ____ per 100,000.
< supporting URL >

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:21:12 PM6/2/19
All very interesting. Yep suicide attempts are triggered, in general, by
long standing problems

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:31:45 PM6/2/19
Sorry
Deisenhammer EA, Ing CM, Strauss R, Kemmler G, Hinterhuber H, Weiss EM.
The duration of the suicidal process: How much time is left for
intervention between consideration and accomplishment of a suicide
attempt? The Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2007; 70(1): 19-24.

Simon TR, Swann AC, Powell KE, Potter LB, Kresnow M, O’Carroll PW.
Characteristics of impulsive suicide attempts and attempters. Suicide
and Life-Threatening Behavior. 2001; 32(supp): 49-59.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:38:30 PM6/2/19
It has been posted numerous times

>    Suicide rate, have a gun is ____ per 100,000.
>    Suicide rate, have no gun is ____ per 100,000.

Define have no gun please. What is the limitation on access to a firearm
that will satisfy you that the person doesn't have a gun.

See i can play the game of asking for specifics as well

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:41:58 PM6/2/19
On 3/06/2019 8:42 am, Just Wondering wrote:
> On 6/2/2019 12:33 PM, bigdog wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019  de chucka wrote:
>>
>>> They are not all going to be prevented but as guns are so effective and
>>> efficient they leave no times for second thoughts.
>>
>> We keep getting bogged down in suicide.  I can buy a bolt-action .30
>> caliber rifle in Australia... that ought to work pretty well would be
>> my guess.  Yet, Australia has a much lower gun suicide rate than the
>> US.
>
> Still yet, Australia's total suicide rate is only slightly lower than
> USA's.  (13.2 vs. 15.3 /100,000).
> http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/suicide-rate-by-country/
> Which means that Australia's non-gun suicide rate is higher than USA's.

Well done. Yet in Australia as in the US the rate of suicide if you have
access to a gun is higher

> Which means that Australia's experience shows you don't stop suicides by
> hiding the guns.

Well on. BTW who was discussing stopping suicides?

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 7:42:51 PM6/2/19
I'm sure you can find lots of studies done by anti-gun groups that do a similar
job of cherry picking the data. It's a favorite ploy of the anti-gunners.

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
> >
> > It shows countries with high gun ownership rates and low gun death rates and
> > countries with low gun ownership rates and high gun death rates. The US which
> > has far an away the highest gun ownership rate isn't even close to having the
> > highest gun death rate. Also note Iceland with 30.3 guns per 100,000 residents
> > and only 0.07 gun deaths. I'll bet they weren't part of that cherry picked
> > survey you posted.
>
> You seem a tad off on a tangent

Oh, were we all suppose to cite cherry picked studies. My bad. I provided a
comprehensive list.

> >> Don't like that one I can use google

> >> Try figuring out the difference of your claim of 'make you' and mine of
> >> 'more likely'
> >
> > A difference without a distinction.
>
> Is your comprehension that bad?

In the context they have been used, there is no distinction.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 7:44:17 PM6/2/19
OK, so you admit to a double standard. You are allowed to make any baseless
claim you like while demanding that others provide cites for their statements.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 7:45:20 PM6/2/19
So they are not spontaneous. Thank you for admitting your earlier misstatement.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 7:47:18 PM6/2/19
On 6/2/2019 1:39 PM, de chucka wrote:
> On 3/06/2019 3:34 am, Just Wondering wrote:

>>> Posted numerous times,
>>
>> So you say - again without producing any evidence.
>
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3703934.pdf?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Only an abstract and a single page, reporting conclusions but NOT A
SHRED OF EVIDENCE supporting the conclusions.

> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12192220

The same abstract as your first one, with the same lack of evidence.

> https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/1814426/accessibility-firearms-risk-suicide-homicide-victimization-among-household-members-systematic

The authors did not study the issue, but did a "meta-analysis" of
other peoples' studies. Buried in the text is this seemingly
innocuous statement: "using firearm purchase data or military
duty as a proxy for firearm access or ownership may not accurately
represent ownership." Some of the studies claimed to use "firearm
purchase data". Others used "surveys". The simple fact is, neither
the authors nor the underlying "studies" actually knew what homes
had guns and what ones didn't. They didn't actually know if a gun
suicide had a gun in his home, or went out and bought or borrowed
one elsewhere. They didn't actually know whether a "other than gun"
suicide had a gun in his home. All the fancy statistical analysis
in the world can't compensate for GIGO.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:49:00 PM6/2/19
I could but I'll stick to the epidemiological and other scientific
papers from reputable sources. You of course won't/can't read and
comprehend them and will go into denial. It is just like the smoking debate

It's a favorite ploy of the anti-gunners.

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
>>>
>>> It shows countries with high gun ownership rates and low gun death rates and
>>> countries with low gun ownership rates and high gun death rates. The US which
>>> has far an away the highest gun ownership rate isn't even close to having the
>>> highest gun death rate. Also note Iceland with 30.3 guns per 100,000 residents
>>> and only 0.07 gun deaths. I'll bet they weren't part of that cherry picked
>>> survey you posted.
>>
>> You seem a tad off on a tangent
>
> Oh, were we all suppose to cite cherry picked studies. My bad. I provided a
> comprehensive list.

Of what, for what reason and in response to what???

>>> A difference without a distinction.
>>
>> Is your comprehension that bad?
>
> In the context they have been used, there is no distinction.

Yes your comprehension is that bad

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:51:20 PM6/2/19
If you wnted cites ask for them as I did from JW

BTW

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:52:14 PM6/2/19
You must of missed my cites. For your perusing pleasur

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 7:55:21 PM6/2/19
On 3/06/2019 9:47 am, Just Wondering wrote:
> On 6/2/2019 1:39 PM, de chucka wrote:

>>> So you say - again without producing any evidence.
>>
>> https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3703934.pdf?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
>
> Only an abstract and a single page, reporting conclusions but NOT A
> SHRED OF EVIDENCE supporting the conclusions.

Get the full article and read it and weep

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 8:25:38 PM6/2/19
I wrote, "You are claiming that the mere fact you have a gun
makes it more likely you will commit suicide than if you don't
have a gun." You replied, "That is what the data shows". Use
whatever definition was used by the data gatherers you relied
on for your reply.

> What is the limitation on access to a firearm that will
> satisfy you that the person doesn't have a gun.

I don't know why you're trying to equate "has a gun" with "has
access to a gun". Those are two very different things. It's like
asking what limitations on access to public transportation would
establish that a person doesn't use public transportation. It's
just not a useful question. One way or another, pretty much any
adult who isn't incarcerated has access to a gun.

Now that we've peeked down your side path, show us the data.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 8:30:15 PM6/2/19
On 6/2/2019 5:55 PM, de chucka wrote:
> On 3/06/2019 9:47 am, Just Wondering wrote:

>>> https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3703934.pdf?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
>>
>> Only an abstract and a single page, reporting conclusions but NOT A
>> SHRED OF EVIDENCE supporting the conclusions.
>
> Get the full article and read it and weep

Not my job to prove your claim. I am quite confident that the authors
suffer from the same problem I describe below: They try to make
comparisons based on "guns in homes" when they don't actually know what
homes have guns in them and what homes don't. Again, GIGO.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 8:33:18 PM6/2/19
<jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If you look at all the countries of he world instead of just cherry picking, you
>will find that there are lots of countries with strict gun laws that have gun
>deaths well above their percentage of the world population. You will also
>find countries where guns are plentiful with lower than average gun deaths.

I don't think you know the first thing about statistics, but that's OK
because most people don't. They're not going to read our tables and
discussions of standard deviations, cause VS effect, or pH factors
(whatever they are). Here's the statistics most people will read:

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/virginia-beach-mass-shooting/article_1b533ea8-846d-11e9-a728-df38353a0516.html

Those, they'll remember. Those are the ones we need to keep in the
news... on the lead of the nightly newscast. You see, sir, whether
crime is up or down depends entirely on people's perceptions and,
right now, they see lots of body bags.

Good luck with your statistics. All you have is bullshit, but it
won't make any difference because those pictures pack a punch... if I
went into a long refutation of your numbers, all I'd accomplish is to
bore the tits offa everybody.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 8:34:35 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 15:35:44 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
<jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>No it hasn't. The data says otherwise.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/virginia-beach-mass-shooting/article_1b533ea8-846d-11e9-a728-df38353a0516.html

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 8:35:03 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 15:45:54 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog
<jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Nice job of cherry picking the data.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/virginia-beach-mass-shooting/article_1b533ea8-846d-11e9-a728-df38353a0516.html

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 8:36:08 PM6/2/19
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 14:52:34 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max
headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com> wrote:

>So, are you concerned with death by violence or just death by gunshot?

Gunshots are violent if they hit you.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/virginia-beach-mass-shooting/article_1b533ea8-846d-11e9-a728-df38353a0516.html

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 8:38:00 PM6/2/19
I have posted the papers you deny their findings, where to from here?

>> What is the limitation on access to a firearm that will
>> satisfy you that the person doesn't have a gun.
>
>  I don't know why you're trying to equate "has a gun" with "has
> access to a gun".  Those are two very different things. It's like
> asking what limitations on access to public transportation would
> establish that a person doesn't use public transportation.  It's
> just not a useful question.  One way or another, pretty much any
> adult who isn't incarcerated has access to a gun.
>
> Now that we've peeked down your side path, show us the data.

OK this is a meta-analysis of papers nd conclude that you are 3X more
likely to commit suicide in a household with guns
Anglemyer A, Horvath T, Rutherford G. The accessibility of firearms and
risk for suicide and homicide victimization among household members: A
systematic review and meta-analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2014;
160: 101–110

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 8:39:14 PM6/2/19
On 3/06/2019 10:30 am, Just Wondering wrote:
> On 6/2/2019 5:55 PM, de chucka wrote:

>>> Only an abstract and a single page, reporting conclusions but NOT A
>>> SHRED OF EVIDENCE supporting the conclusions.
>>
>> Get the full article and read it and weep
>
> Not my job to prove your claim.

I've proved my claim with data. Don't like that one try
Anglemyer A, Horvath T, Rutherford G. The accessibility of firearms and
risk for suicide and homicide victimization among household members: A
systematic review and meta-analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2014;
160: 101–110

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 9:03:20 PM6/2/19
That's not data, that's a title of a paper without even a link to the
paper. Show us the data.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 9:06:30 PM6/2/19
On 6/2/2019 6:33 PM, bigdog wrote:

> ... whether crime is up or down depends entirely on people's perceptions

THAT's a concept lifted from Orwell's 1984.

de chucka

Jun 2, 2019, 9:11:37 PM6/2/19
Can't you google? That is how papers are cited

> Show us the data.

It's in the paper cited

Michael Ejercito

Jun 2, 2019, 10:26:32 PM6/2/19

"Just Wondering" wrote in message news:oo_IE.19257$U14....@fx17.iad...

>On 6/2/2019 6:33 PM, bigdog wrote:

>> ... whether crime is up or down depends entirely on people's perceptions

>THAT's a concept lifted from Orwell's 1984.

Not surprising that anti-gun cultists, especially forgers, would borrow
such concepts.

Michael

---
https://www.avg.com

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 11:00:41 PM6/2/19
Since you can't dazzle us with your brilliance, you've opted to try to baffle us
with your bullshit. It's not working.

> It's a favorite ploy of the anti-gunners.

> >> You seem a tad off on a tangent
> >
> > Oh, were we all suppose to cite cherry picked studies. My bad. I provided a
> > comprehensive list.
>
> Of what, for what reason and in response to what???

You presented a cherry picked "study" to try to make the case that there is a
correlation between high rates of gun ownership and high rates of gun deaths. I
responded by pointing out the obvious selection bias employed and presented a
comprehensive list which refutes that there is any such correlation.

> >> Is your comprehension that bad?
> >
> > In the context they have been used, there is no distinction.
>
> Yes your comprehension is that bad

You wish it was bad because then I couldn't see through your bullshit.

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 11:02:33 PM6/2/19
Must of? Is that an example of Australian literacy. Did you mean must've?

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 11:05:49 PM6/2/19
Did you have a point?

bigdog

Jun 2, 2019, 11:08:24 PM6/2/19
So you expect others to find the data to support your arguments. Interesting
ploy.

Just Wondering

Jun 2, 2019, 11:30:57 PM6/2/19
So you're not going to show us the data. That's about what
I expected from you any way. Just don't come back later
falsely claiming you showed the data.

max headroom

Jun 3, 2019, 12:21:10 AM6/3/19
In news:rqq8fe91cbhoq927h...@4ax.com, bigdog <a...@b.com> typed:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 14:52:34 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "max headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com>
> wrote:

>>So, are you concerned with death by violence or just death by gunshot?

> Gunshots are violent if they hit you.

So death by gunshot it is. Not crime victims, just gunshot vistims. How, er... *liberal* of you.

max headroom

Jun 3, 2019, 12:21:12 AM6/3/19
In news:q1q8fepe039n3tvlu...@4ax.com, bigdog <a...@b.com> typed:

> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 09:53:20 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns bigdog <jecorb...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

>>If you look at all the countries of he world instead of just cherry picking, you
>>will find that there are lots of countries with strict gun laws that have gun
>>deaths well above their percentage of the world population. You will also
>>find countries where guns are plentiful with lower than average gun deaths.

> I don't think you know the first thing about statistics, but that's OK
> because most people don't. They're not going to read our tables and
> discussions of standard deviations, cause VS effect, or pH factors
> (whatever they are). Here's the statistics most people will read:

> https://pilotonline.com/news/local/virginia-beach-mass-shooting/article_1b533ea8-846d-11e9-a728-df38353a0516.html

> Those, they'll remember. Those are the ones we need to keep in the
> news... on the lead of the nightly newscast. You see, sir, whether
> crime is up or down depends entirely on people's perceptions and,
> right now, they see lots of body bags.

Gun nuts always rely on the public's ignorance--

"Assault weapons-just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms-are a new
topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine
guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons-anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a
machine gun-can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In
addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons."

-- Josh Sugarmann, Violence Policy Center, 1988

de chucka

Jun 3, 2019, 1:34:36 AM6/3/19

de chucka

Jun 3, 2019, 2:10:15 AM6/3/19

Michael Ejercito

Jun 3, 2019, 2:28:29 AM6/3/19
On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5:32:15 PM UTC-7, bigdog wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 10:02:11 -0700 (PDT), in talk.politics.guns Michael
> Ejercito <meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Forger, the rate of criminal homicide has been declining for a quarter century.
> >
> > That is why you anti-gun cultists deny it just as surely as Holocaust deniers deny the Wannsee Conference.
>
> Flaccid Richard, you persist in trying to steer the discussion to the
> "rate of criminal homicide"... yes, that has been in decline worldwide
> for a quarter century; it has been declining independently of guns in
> all countries because it rises and falls on a predictable 55-year (or
> so) cycle. Actually, it's now rising again, or so many people
> believe.
>
> May I remind you that this is "talk.politics.guns"? Why not take that
> discussion to "alt.activism.homicide"?
>
> Focus on gun deaths in the US... these are *way* up. Do you have any
> comment on that matter?
I discuss the rate of criminal homicide because it is, you know, the ACTUAL MEASURE of the average likelihood of becoming a victim of criminal homicide.

Michael

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 3, 2019, 8:09:37 AM6/3/19
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 05:29:38 +1000, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 3/06/2019 10:43 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 19:29:51 +1000, de chucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Some will most won't because suicide is often a spontaneous act.
>>
>> Cite.
>>
>> Meanwhile...
>>
>> https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/suicide/understanding-and-overcoming-myths-suicide
>>
>> But if you want to prove us wrong, do it right now.
>
>I agree with your article ( you did read it didn't you?) the build up to
>the act occurs over a period but the actual act is often spontaneous

Then you can't read, so why bother providing you with a cite?

It is loading more messages.