for Ron: Archaic Genomics - Svante Pääbo

eridanus

Sep 22, 2016, 2:50:04 PM9/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
a very interesting video

Archaic Genomics - Svante Pääbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7VdRKQuAa8

RonO

Sep 22, 2016, 8:40:03 PM9/22/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
This is a great talk. If Passedup wasn't so badly into denial he could
likely learn something.

What could be most interesting is what he did with the FOXP2 gene
towards the end of the talk. Increased learning ability and muscle
coordination.

He did miss the fact that we have about 20% of the Neandertal genome
segregating in our current population. If we want to understand some of
the differences between Neandertal and Modern humans we don't have to
wait for back mutations. We can make SNP chips with the relevant
polymorphisms that differentiate Neandertal from Africans and look at
the segregation of these variants in non African modern humans and do
genome wide association studies on any trait you want to use. They have
study populations of hundreds of thousands for certain phenotypes and
all of them could be used to determine the difference between Neandertal
and Modern humans before we interbred.

Ron Okimoto

eridanus

Sep 23, 2016, 6:45:03 AM9/23/16
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I had been watching several related videos on this topic. I am very impressed.
eri