University IDEA clubs likely defunct.

RonO

Jun 21, 2014, 6:23:05 PM6/21/14
I've just been trying to look into the state of the ID scam, and it has
been pretty dismal. A lot of the early players are not around. ISCID
is gone and IDnet hasn't been updated since 2007. Organizations like
the SEAO that was supposed to include IDiot univeristy profs interested
in origins education in the public schools is defunct and the IDEA clubs
look like they aren't functional either.

The university intelligent design and evolution awareness (IDEA) clubs
seem to be MIA.

Around the turn of the century Casey Luskin and some friends started the
IDEA clubs on university campuses. It sort of backfired on the ID
movement because it turned out that the clubs were supposed to be there
for the free exchange of ideas, but the club by laws that the
creationists had set up restricted club officers to Christians only.
Some of the clubs had just changed their names from scientific
creationist clubs. It was really about the science though;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Design_and_Evolution_Awareness_Center

Wiki claims IDEA is moribund. It seems that most of the university
clubs died by 2005. It looks like not many stuck around for the Dover
confirmation after the bait and switch began to go down in 2002.

There is still an IDEA center (Casey Luskin is their current secretary)
that is still asking for donations, but I could not confirm that there
are any existing IDEA clubs left for the center to support. Running
through the list that they still have up on the web page only two active
web sites still exist that I found (Sacramento and Georgia), but the
Sacramento page hasn't been updated since 2002 and the Georgia page
hasn't been updated since January 2006. Even the UC San Diego club (the
first one) doesn't seem to exist any longer. I tried to click on them
all, but I may have missed a couple because of the way they are placed
on the map. No clubs seem to exist at Berkeley, Stanford or Cornell any
longer. I cross checked those for registered clubs.

The IDEA center web site is still active, but they haven't had any
events planned since 2011. They haven't updated their organization's
history since 2009. I don't know who is maintaining the site.

Like I said they are still asking for donations, so if any IDiots want
to donate to the cause.

http://www.ideacenter.org/

ARN is still up and selling the ID perps junk. The Discovery Institute
is still active. The Biologic institute still claims to be doing
research, but no one has published any scientific testing of IC or CSI
at this time. It may be that only organizations associated with the
Discovery Institute still have active IDiot endeavors.

Ron Okimoto

Kalkidas

Jun 21, 2014, 6:45:43 PM6/21/14
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:23:05 -0500, RonO <roki...@cox.net> wrote:

As the proud march of "science education" gradually wends its way
toward the cliff of ultimate reduction, the perps of materialistic
monism paint an ever brighter picture of the scam that pays their
bills. The poor rubes blindly follow them, noses buried in glossy
"popular science publications", attracted by the fantastic artists'
conceptions of the rosy future promised by "leading scientists". The
bait-and-switch of portraying fantasy as reality is in full swing...

Modern "science education", destroying the world, one brain at a
time...

RSNorman

Jun 21, 2014, 9:05:22 PM6/21/14
Sadly the science ignorant have demonstrated an enormous potential to
destroy the world long before science gets around to doing so.

RonO

Jun 21, 2014, 10:13:13 PM6/21/14
Poor Kalk, still can't come to grips with the fact that the bait and
switch went down on him over a decade ago. How sad is that fact?

The ID perps did not run the scam on the science side. They ran the
bait and switch on their own creationist support base. What did rubes
like yourself get from the ID perps instead of the ID science?

You can't change that reality by making more of a fool of yourself.

Ron Okimoto

Kalkidas

Jun 23, 2014, 1:35:18 PM6/23/14
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:05:22 -0400, RSNorman <r_s_n...@comcast.net>
Sticks and stones can destroy the world? I think not. It takes
thermonuclear bombs and massive industrialization to do it.

RSNorman

Jun 23, 2014, 2:53:10 PM6/23/14
It takes ignoring the consequences of squandering our natural
resources, creating massive pollution including aspects that produce
climate change, and failing to understand the catastrophe of
exponential growth in both population and consumption that will
destroy the world. It is not the presence of thermonuclear bombs and
industrial capacity that destroys the world. It is the use of those
tools by despots abusing political and military power or by greedy
capitalists seeking personal gain at everyone else's expense that does
it.

Kalkidas

Jun 23, 2014, 3:21:24 PM6/23/14
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:53:10 -0400, RSNorman <r_s_n...@comcast.net>
The scientists should have known. The universities should have known.
There was never any lack of knowledge that bad guys exist and will
exploit whatever they can get their hands on.

If you give a loaded gun to an idiot demon, is it solely the demon's
fault when he kills your friends with it?

I blame the scientists and the universities, who were so drunk on the
pride of their own "knowledge" that they made deals with devils to
keep funding it.

Mr. B1ack

Jun 23, 2014, 5:47:31 PM6/23/14
Quite true ... or one REALLY nasty engineered virus ....

And there's always the silicon-eating nanobot "grey goo"
disaster scenerio too .....

Unfortunately, the 'science ignorant' tend to HIRE scientists
to find ways to make 'em richer quicker, and/or smite the
competition - and the "simple messages for simple minds"
theme often gets them elected, so .......

I guess that makes 'democracy' too dangerous to risk.
But then you can have ignorant pin-headed tunnel-visioned
monarchs, popes, dictators, autocrats, oligarchs and
philosopher kings too .... so there's a real problem here.
Maybe we'll HAVE to let an AI run everything ... but who
gets to program its 'personality' ?

chris thompson

Jun 23, 2014, 6:26:25 PM6/23/14
The exact same pioneering research led to radiation therapy for cancer, x-ray machines, research use of radioisotopes, and atomic weapons.

Whose fault is it if you hand someone a hammer and saw and say, "Build houses for the homeless" and they instead hit people in the head and cut them up?

Chris

Tim Norfolk

Jun 23, 2014, 8:18:43 PM6/23/14
Despite popular media presentations to the contrary, the sad fact (in terms of destructive technology) is that the methods of science allow anyone to discover things. You don't stop progress by killing one man. A simple example is the discovery/invention of the Calculus by both Newton and Leibnitz.

Kalkidas

Jun 23, 2014, 8:40:37 PM6/23/14
Nowadays, most of the methods of science -- especially the destructive
ones -- require vast amounts of money and materiel.

It's one thing to want to understand the world. It's quite another to
want to dominate it.

deadrat

Jun 24, 2014, 12:21:16 AM6/24/14
Perhaps his point is that nothing bad can flow from IDiocy because we
can learn nothing from this fiction. The cost of giving up bad uses of
knowledge is to stop learning.

hersheyh

Jun 24, 2014, 7:44:32 PM6/24/14
On Saturday, June 21, 2014 6:23:05 PM UTC-4, Ron O wrote:

[snip all]
Actually the IDEA club has simply moved to the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space,
and Technology. It is now run by Republican Tea Party types who are the sorts of
ignorant political hacks that would have gladly joined the IDEA clubs.