some thoughts regarding IRIX system administration

Laurence Doering

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Baltimore, the 27th of February, 19__

Most esteemed Mr. Marchese,

As you may be aware, the clever parody of UNIX the company that
ate yours has foisted upon users of Origin series hardware has
a most peculiar method of installing patches and upgrades.

One surmises that perhaps the so-called software architects
who invented "inst" and the SGI patch distribution system, and
who then crowned their earlier achievement by solving the problems
of the patch system by discarding it entirely in favor of the
maintenance release approach taken by IRIX 6.5, were likely
disporting themselves alfresco instead of working while back
inside a pack of drunken monkeys implemented the entire sorry
slagheap in their spare time between mutual grooming parties and
the consumption of vast quantities (for monkeys, anyway) of
spirituous liquors. But I digress.

As you are the only gentleman I am aware of who is employed
by Silicon Graphics (the jacklegs, blackguards, and bounders
who insulted my intelligence with alleged "technical support"
regarding bug 644747 are clearly below my and your station),
it is to you I must come to demand satisfaction.

The insult to my intelligence that SGI's helplessly flailing
attempts to fix bugs in their implementation of NFS has become
can only be erased by blood. Satisfaction demands a duel,
my good man.

As I have cast down the gauntlet, the choice of venue and
of weapons is yours. My seconds shall call upon yours anon.

Respectfully I remain,

yr humble and ob't servant
ljd

Matthew J. Marchese

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Sehr Geheerter Hr. Doering,

As you have mistaken me for a gentlemen (and worse yet, a software
engineer), I am obliged to inform you that I am merely one of the many
brigands, thugees, and catamites who continue to work for SGI because
"Hey, we made those cool dinosaurs in Jurassic Park." I'm sending the
boys from sgi.bad-attitude over to your place later tonight along with a
good stout length of PVC pipe, two buckets of sanded Vaseline, and
several starving gerbils. Should this fail to "patch" your NFS problem
adequately my second, Joe Pesci, will arrive shortly thereafter to stab
you repeatedly in the neck with a ballpoint pen. In the unlikely event
that neither of these approaches manage to remove the random noise of
your existence from our TAC center phone lines, We shall be forced to
confiscate all of your current IRIX platforms and replace them with SGI
320 workstations running NT 4.0. Handpicked Innovation^3 commandos sworn
to uphold our Core Values with a loyalty oath sealed by the laying of
their hands upon the OpenGL Red Book will be stationed at your side
night and day to forcibly prevent you from loading Linux on the
aforementioned boxes. Let's see how well you fare attempting to
configure a print server for 30 workstations while simultaneously
battling the slavering phone support carnivores of Micro$oft as your
pitiful cries for technical assistance become weaker and weaker.

When you are dead we will feast upon your brane, cooked slowly over
burning copies of the IRIS FailSafe 2.0 NFS Administrator's Guide

Mit Freundlichen Gruessen,

MJM

--
/\/\/-\TT /\/\/-\R(H353
ma...@sgi.com http://home.cray.com/~mattm/

wenchpoet

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99

>Scott "Heston" Dorsey prophesized:
>> after Matthew J. Marchese ranted:

> >As you have mistaken me for a gentlemen (and worse yet, a software
> >engineer), I am obliged to inform you that I am merely one of the many
> >brigands, thugees, and catamites who continue to work for SGI because
> >"Hey, we made those cool dinosaurs in Jurassic Park."
>

> The sage casts down his tools and reformats. In all ways, unity.
> Only through great struggle can unity be found. Someday there will
> be a Linux port that will handle Reality and the world will then be
> a better place.

Of which version of Reality do you spaketh?

wenchpoet

I'm still trying to learn version 1.01.....

Matthew J. Marchese

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
wenchpoet wrote:

> Of which version of Reality do you spaketh?

Onyx2 Reality - available only in deskside configurations, with half the
framebuffer capacity and meshed triangle processing capability of Onyx2
InfiniteReality.

Scott Dorsey

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
In article <36D9876F...@sgi.com> "Matthew J. Marchese" <ma...@sgi.com> writes:
>wenchpoet wrote:
>
>> Of which version of Reality do you spaketh?
>
>Onyx2 Reality - available only in deskside configurations, with half the
>framebuffer capacity and meshed triangle processing capability of Onyx2
>InfiniteReality.

Amazing all the superfluous crap you have to get just to do raster fills
at 30fps.
--scott

Gary Heston

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
In article <36D9876F...@sgi.com>,

Matthew J. Marchese <ma...@sgi.com> wrote:
>wenchpoet wrote:

>> Of which version of Reality do you spaketh?

>Onyx2 Reality - available only in deskside configurations, with half the
>framebuffer capacity and meshed triangle processing capability of Onyx2
>InfiniteReality.

While we're talking about SGIs here, does anyone have a spare power
supply for a Personal Iris? I picked one up (free, w/monitor) that
reportedly needs one.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@ro.com spamfodder: root@localhost pres...@whitehouse.gov
sync@localhost daemon@localhost lp@localhost mail@localhost news@localhost

Hestons First Law: I qualify virtually everything I say. (c) G. Heston 1985

Scott Dorsey

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
In article <7bcb1a$vt3$1...@sh1.ro.com> ghe...@ro.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>While we're talking about SGIs here, does anyone have a spare power
>supply for a Personal Iris? I picked one up (free, w/monitor) that
>reportedly needs one.

I got three words for you, Gary: component-level repair.

Scott Dorsey

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
In article <36D89059...@sgi.com> "Matthew J. Marchese" <ma...@sgi.com> writes:
>As you have mistaken me for a gentlemen (and worse yet, a software
>engineer), I am obliged to inform you that I am merely one of the many
>brigands, thugees, and catamites who continue to work for SGI because
>"Hey, we made those cool dinosaurs in Jurassic Park."

The yarrow stalks are cast.
The oracle is read.
"CRASH AND BURN," it says, "THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS."

The future is unclear.
Another cast is tried, and it is not auspicious.
This time it is very brief, reading merely "BLOAT."

For a third time the trial is made.
The separate become one and the one becomes many.
The prediction reads as "WE PROMISE, THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT:
IT'S NOT LIKE IRIX 5.1."

The sage casts down his tools and reformats. In all ways, unity.
Only through great struggle can unity be found. Someday there will
be a Linux port that will handle Reality and the world will then be
a better place.

Scott Dorsey

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <7b9pq8$7...@mail.bcpl.net> l...@mail.bcpl.net (Laurence Doering) writes:

>As you are the only gentleman I am aware of who is employed
>by Silicon Graphics (the jacklegs, blackguards, and bounders
>who insulted my intelligence with alleged "technical support"
>regarding bug 644747 are clearly below my and your station),
>it is to you I must come to demand satisfaction.

Lesson one:
SGI does not fix bugs. Since the operating system gets totally rewritten
on a regular basis, they do not see the need. If effort is spent fixing a bug,
it will be effort wasted, because that whole subsystem will be rewritten in
the next release.

Lesson two:
SGI does not talk nice with the outside world. About when IRIX 5.2 was
first coming out, I tried to get one of the Crimsons to mount some directories
from a SunOS machine, and I noticed the throughput was pretty terrible. When
I talked to SGI "support" I was sent a booklet entitled "What Effects
Network Throughput" which was effectively a puff piece telling me how much
more wonderful SGI's NFS implementation was than Sun's. We eventually
fixed the network problem by trading the Crimson in on a Sparc 10.

Lesson three:
I get better manufacturer support on a thirty year old DEC product than
I do on an Iris. Also, I can get parts for the 8e locally.

Blair P. Houghton

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
I miss Mr. X.

--Blair
"He had the key to the
executive washroom."

The Reverse Psychologist at Bawston School for Idiots

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99

Loo SL wrote in message <36DAA045...@hotmail.com>...

... [poof!] -- ta-da!!!

beelzibub
ps;
in otherwords -- NO!!!

thisismy.sig.it'soneofthebest'sig'sonthenet.iknowwhatyouraskin'yourself:'did
hepost4or5messages'?well,totellyouthetruthinalltheconfusionikindaforgotmysel
fsoyougottaaskyourselfonequestion'isittrue?huh,isitpunk?!goforitlogoutnow!

The Reverse Psychologist at Bawston School for Idiots

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99

Gary Heston wrote in message +ADw-7bcb1a+ACQ-vt3+ACQ-1+AEA-sh1.ro.com+AD4-...
+AD4-In article +ADw-36D9876F.A7A1738B+AEA-sgi.com+AD4-,
+AD4-Matthew J. Marchese +ADw-mattm+AEA-sgi.com+AD4- wrote:
+AD4APg-wenchpoet wrote:
+AD4-
+AD4APgA+- Of which version of Reality do you spaketh?
+AD4-
+AD4APg-Onyx2 Reality - available only in deskside configurations, with half the
+AD4APg-framebuffer capacity and meshed triangle processing capability of Onyx2
+AD4APg-InfiniteReality.
+AD4-
+AD4-While we're talking about SGIs here, does anyone have a spare power
+AD4-supply for a Personal Iris? I picked one up (free, w/monitor) that
+AD4-reportedly needs one.
+AD4-
...why, yes i do AND IT'E ALL MINE+ACEAIQAh- MINE+ACE- MINE+ACE- MINE+ACE- AND YOU CAN'T HAVE
IT+ACEAIQAh-

beelzibub
ps+ADs-
selfishly crisper

thisismy.sig.it'soneofthebest'sig'sonthenet.iknowwhatyouraskin'yourself:'did
hepost4or5messages'?well,totellyouthetruthinalltheconfusionikindaforgotmysel

fsoyougottaaskyourselfonequestion'isittrue?huh,isitpunk?+ACE-goforitlogoutnow+ACE-

onomatopoetic justice

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
In article <kludgeF7...@netcom.com>,

Scott Dorsey <klu...@netcom.com> wrote:
>The sage casts down his tools and reformats. In all ways, unity.
>Only through great struggle can unity be found. Someday there will
>be a Linux port that will handle Reality and the world will then be
>a better place.

I do not want my Reality to be handled by the work of an underfed Finn.

rone
boosted by the jingoism of a million pubescent boys
--
In the truest spirit of usenet I actually have zero idea what I'm talking
about and am making all this up, but it does seem reasonable and has the

Lloyd Wood

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <7b9pq8$7...@mail.bcpl.net> on 27 Feb 1999 16:58:32 -0500 Laurence Doering (l...@mail.bcpl.net) wrote:

: As you may be aware, the clever parody of UNIX the company that

: ate yours has foisted upon users of Origin series hardware has
: a most peculiar method of installing patches and upgrades.

I have recently become aware of Irix 5.3.

I have gained some knowledge of the SGI Webforce Challenger and other
image-editing suites misleadingly sold to the uninformed general
public as high-performance webservers, even though the network
connection is, alas, not directly connected to the high-performance
graphical bus, but rather to a tin can and a piece of string elsewhere
in the case. A case to which most of the attention has been paid; verily,
beauty is often only skin-deep.

Under the aforementioned IRIX 5.3, sockets frequently become
stuck steadfast within CLOSE_WAIT, requiring some manual intervention
with the webserver upon a Monday morning in order to bring it back
into the robust operation that would be expected of it.

This would be most unsatisfactory, were I responsible for such
a webserver. Fortunately, I am not, so I feel that I must commend the
employees of Silicon Graphics for providing me with a reliable source
of much hilarity, even though they are obviously charlatans of the
first order and certainly not network engineers in good standing
worthy of receiving as little as the time of day from me.

If a gentleman is going to be screwed over by his computing equipment, my
advice is that the gentlemen select it as carefully as he would his whores.
SGI cannot provide satisfaction, for going down frequently may be the modern
vogue, but is simply not sufficient to meet a true gentleman's needs.

Linux, though young and inexperienced, can be trained to meet those
needs admirably, and adapts well to impoverished circumstances while
performing far better than IRIX or the increasingly afflicted MacOS.
While Solaris is favoured by distinguished men of established
means and habit, the disease-ridden Windows is not a suitable topic for
polite society - and the pimps that will demand your money for 'support'
and 'licensing' must be avoided at all other costs.

And, speaking of pimps, killing Doering in a duel will only raise my
admiration for those smooth-talking salesmen, these peddlers of Indian Tonic,
these operating system snake oil vendors. But - and mark my words well -
they will never have my money. Macintoshes are just as flighty as SGIs,
while being cheaper and rather better-looking, while Linux has a longer
future suitable for the gentleman of habit, while being most free and
loyal with her affections.

L.

: The insult to my intelligence that SGI's helplessly flailing

: attempts to fix bugs in their implementation of NFS has become
: can only be erased by blood. Satisfaction demands a duel,
: my good man.

: As I have cast down the gauntlet, the choice of venue and
: of weapons is yours. My seconds shall call upon yours anon.

: Respectfully I remain,

: yr humble and ob't servant
: ljd

--
<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/><mailto:L.W...@cryogen.com>

Kevin Mc Auley

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Lloyd Wood wrote:

... what is this UHIX thing? gypsy says it has a shell so is it like a turtle or like a sinile???

beelzibub
ps;
your konfusing MOI