PVC pipe and laser cutter

John Bennett

Apr 3, 2018, 11:25:42 AM4/3/18
to SYN Shop
Can I cut some holes in a square PVC pipe on the shop laser cutter?

Aakin Patel

Apr 3, 2018, 11:39:12 AM4/3/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com
​We discussed this on discord, but for future reference for anyone looking here - PVC can't be used in the laser cutter due to toxic fumes and corrosive outgassing when cut.

- Aakin​

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

krux

Apr 3, 2018, 11:47:38 AM4/3/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, John Bennett

This got covered on our Discord channel, but so it's here as well PVC is not something you can cut on the laser cutter.  It's a type of plastic which has Chlorine in it, so that produces one, a deadly gas, and two will damage the laser cutter in the process.

The ATX hackerspace has a decent guide on what cuts well or not.  Mind you they have a different laser than us, so any power settings etc.. they list won't be accurate.

http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

Pololu has another list:

https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J24/3

John Bennett