Any interest in old LED tiles from a Jumbotron ?

Tom Mudd

Jul 28, 2016, 2:00:09 PM7/28/16
to SYN Shop
Hi there.

Sorry for using the ancient term "jumbotron" but I wanted to differentiate these from the consumer TVs that Best Buy are (wrongly) calling "LED TVs"

We've got a heap of LED tiles in need of a good recycle.

They're an RGB LED pixel with a 7mm pixel  pitch.

Each tile is 500mm wide , 125mm high with a pixel array of 64 x 16 .

When new they were capable of of 4500 nits brightness (although it may be a little less now)

They are second hand / old however a good number of them are still working and pixel perfect.

Does anybody have any hack projects they'd like them for ?

Let me know what sort of numbers and I'll see if I can get a donation package put together.

On the flip side of that - if (like the London hackspace) you're a bit over-full with old electronics donations, please let me know and I shall not bug you any more.

Thanks everyone.

Tom

Tom Mudd

Jul 28, 2016, 2:17:20 PM7/28/16
to SYN Shop

Some pics of the LED tiles:

Mark J Koch

Jul 28, 2016, 2:27:38 PM7/28/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
We should grab these.

Mark
--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Joshua Paxton

Jul 28, 2016, 2:31:27 PM7/28/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

I would love some. I am working to make scale designs, using software for pixel maping, and including led walls...

krux

Jul 28, 2016, 2:38:22 PM7/28/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Tom Mudd
On 2016-07-28 11:00, Tom Mudd wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Sorry for using the ancient term "jumbotron" but I wanted to
> differentiate these from the consumer TVs that Best Buy are (wrongly)
> calling "LED TVs"
>
> We've got a heap of LED tiles in need of a good recycle.
>
> They're an RGB LED pixel with a 7mm pixel pitch.
>
> Each tile is 500mm wide , 125mm high with a pixel array of 64 x 16 .
>
> When new they were capable of of 4500 nits brightness (although it may
> be a little less now)
>
> They _are_ second hand / old however a good number of them are still
> working and pixel perfect.
>
> Does anybody have any hack projects they'd like them for ?
>
> Let me know what sort of numbers and I'll see if I can get a donation
> package put together.
>
> On the flip side of that - if (like the London hackspace) you're a bit
> over-full with old electronics donations, please let me know and I
> shall not bug you any more.

Sounds like that makings of a great shop project to hack on. We'll take
what you would like to give us. I have a wall I'd love to see them
installed on.

--
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Aakin Patel

Jul 28, 2016, 2:47:48 PM7/28/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
I think we could definitely make use of these at the shop. We'd be happy to take what you are willing to give us.

Jarred Coelho

Jul 28, 2016, 2:51:19 PM7/28/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Do you know what kind of video wall they came out of?

Tom Mudd

Jul 29, 2016, 4:44:41 AM7/29/16
to SYN Shop
They were removed from a digiLED MC7 rental panel.   (original brochure attached) .    To get them lit up you'll need 5vDC and a bit of hacking.

Original controller cards in these panels were from a company called Linsn  ( http://www.linsnled.com/product/linsn-rv905.html ) although many other controllers from China will also work (NovaStar, DBstar, Full Color, Mooncell, Zdek etc)

Also- the folks in the London UK Hackspace have had some luck building (i think) Raspberry Pi controllers . Have a look at the London group postings : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/Gs4_P4Je1gw%5B176-200%5D   (although these do relate to a different model of LED tile)

Could you let me have a shipping address and a contact person and phone number to get these sent to ?   I'll check stocks but I think we have 100 to 200 ish we could send.

All the best

Tom
digiLED MCK Series (2).pdf

kr...@thcnet.net

Jul 29, 2016, 5:36:13 AM7/29/16
to SYN Shop
> Also- the folks in the London UK Hackspace have had some luck building (i
> think) Raspberry Pi controllers . Have a look at the London group postings
> : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/Gs4_P4Je1gw%5B176-200%5D
> (although these do relate to a different model of LED tile)

Very cool.

> Could you let me have a shipping address and a contact person and phone
> number to get these sent to ? I'll check stocks but I think we have 100
> to 200 ish we could send.

Probably too large to send to the shop directly, so I can give you my shipping
address that can accept packages.

Jarred Coelho

Jul 29, 2016, 10:30:25 AM7/29/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
If the shop needs a location for a freight delivery you can send them over here to my place of employment and I can get them to the space from there. The Linsn stuff is fairly easy to use and it might actually be something the SynShop could revive and "rent" out for events as a money making opportunity.

Patrick Warrington

Aug 1, 2016, 8:22:52 PM8/1/16
to SYN Shop, mist...@gmail.com
I have a friend out of Nashville that is currently getting rid of there stock of Absen tiles which use the DB star processor. I could probably get a processor at a buddy discount if the shop would like to make a wall.

-Patrick W

Daniel Braisted

Aug 23, 2016, 6:11:03 AM8/23/16
to SYN Shop
Update on the status of these LED tiles? Pls...

Krux

Aug 23, 2016, 9:43:58 AM8/23/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Braisted
Have not heard or seen anything.
perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Tom Mudd

Sep 19, 2016, 1:59:35 PM9/19/16
to SYN Shop
Hello.

Sorry for the delay in getting these to you.

They are being removed from old rental panels  (or at least that is the plan) .   The trouble is the rental panels have been kept a bit busy recently and there's not been an opportunity to do the swap out.

I do have you guys chalked down for a crate of these once they're ripped out.

Please bear with us caller.

Tom

Tom Mudd

Sep 30, 2016, 4:12:12 AM9/30/16
to SYN Shop
Hi guys.

I'm flying in to Vegas in October to do the LDI show at the convention center .

What I'm trying to arrange is that the crate load of old LED tiles gets shipped to Vegas along with our exhibition kit.  (works in progress but I'll let you all know if confirmed)

QUESTION - Would anybody like to come to the show ?  We have a free ticket code for anybody who'd like to visit.

If you click on https://www.compusystems.com/servlet/ar?evt_uid=388 and use the promo code E255 you'll get free entry .

Come and say hello !  We'll be on booth 2958.

I was wondering too if I delay my return flight, any chance I could pop into the shop and say hi ?

All the best

Tom

dan.g...@unlv.edu

Oct 3, 2016, 11:28:25 AM10/3/16
to SYN Shop
Hi Tom,

Thank you for sending the code to get into the LDI show.  With all the show control and robotics, it is a great show for the technology-minded, even if they aren't into lighting!

Will you be at an exhibit?  If so, let me know which one and I'll try to introduce myself.

Dan
UNLV-TV

kr...@thcnet.net

Oct 3, 2016, 12:50:28 PM10/3/16
to SYN Shop
> I'm flying in to Vegas in October to do the LDI show at the convention
> center .
>
> What I'm trying to arrange is that the crate load of old LED tiles gets
> shipped to Vegas along with our exhibition kit. (works in progress but
> I'll let you all know if confirmed)

Sounds good. Let us know if there is a good time to arrange picking up
things.

> I was wondering too if I delay my return flight, any chance I could pop
> into the shop and say hi ?

We'd love to have you come by the shop. When were you planning? We're not
open on Sunday, but every other night we are. Our normal hours are 6pm to
10pm on Week nights, and from 3pm to 10pm on Saturday.

mr jones

Oct 3, 2016, 12:54:07 PM10/3/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

As well - given your awesome donation - I'd be happy to bop down on Sunday the 23rd or or on Monday morning if those are the only times your free for a visit.  I'll watch this thread for your preferred visit times!

Cheers,
-adj

Tom Mudd

Oct 13, 2016, 8:48:24 PM10/13/16
to SYN Shop
Hi Krux, Mr Jones & Dan

I managed to get a box of these LED tiles put on the truck with our show kit so I should be able to drop these off to SYNshop one evening next week.

I've got a rental SUV so hopefully with the back seat folded down I'll have space to drive them over.

Lets target Tuesday evening.   Can we get a whatsapp chat going though in case things change ?   My whatsapp is +44 7717 572 764 . Feel free to add me.

Dan - please do come say hello.   My company (digiLED) is exhibiting on booth 2958 . Come on over for a coffee and a look round. (offer open to everybody too)

I should say too - please feel free to re-post the fee ticket details in a different thread if you think other SYN'ners would be interested.

Mr Jones - Very kind offer on the Sunday but I wouldn't want to disturb your weekend.   Can we do evening of Tuesday 25th ?  I cant promise I'll have the whole circuit diagram of these LED tiles in my head but I can give you some pointers on Tuesday as to which pins do what .

See you next week.

Tom

krux

Oct 14, 2016, 1:36:12 PM10/14/16
On 2016-10-13 17:48, Tom Mudd wrote:
> Hi Krux, Mr Jones & Dan
>
> I managed to get a box of these LED tiles put on the truck with our
> show kit so I should be able to drop these off to SYNshop one evening
> next week.
>
> I've got a rental SUV so hopefully with the back seat folded down I'll
> have space to drive them over.
>
> Lets target Tuesday evening. Can we get a whatsapp chat going though
> in case things change ? My whatsapp is +44 7717 572 764 . Feel free
> to add me.

Tuesday night works. We're open from 6pm to 10pm.

Tom Mudd

Oct 17, 2016, 9:22:22 PM10/17/16
to SYN Shop, mist...@gmail.com
Hi folks.

Turned out there was a bit more free time this afternoon in our schedule so I took the opportunity to run the LED tiles up to the SYN Shop.

I don't know the exact count but there's a cardboard box of 150 to 200 ish LED tiles Stashed round the back by the lockers.

Enjoy :-)

Tom

PS - I'll see about helping you with pin-outs next week or feel free to 'probe' in the mean time.

krux

Oct 17, 2016, 9:25:51 PM10/17/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, mist...@gmail.com
Very cool. Thanks for donating them. Any tech info on them will help.
> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org [1]
> ---
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://synshop.org
> [2] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

kr...@thcnet.net

Oct 18, 2016, 1:14:34 AM10/18/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I took one of the panels apart and did some initial documentation

https://github.com/krux702/led_panel_wall

There are some screws that are under a thin layer of rubber potting, but once
those are removed it's fairly easy to take apart with a spudger.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, krux wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 18:25:29 -0700
> From: krux <kr...@thcnet.net>
> To: syn...@googlegroups.com
> Cc: mist...@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [synshop] Re: Any interest in old LED tiles from a Jumbotron ?
> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org

Mark J Koch

Oct 18, 2016, 1:27:22 AM10/18/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
The pinout looks very similar to the AdaFruit panels. Many of these panels are made the same way. The simply clock in a data pattern and display it to the LEDs. Looking at the chip part numbers will give you more clues as to what is needed to drive a signal. So you might be able to drive one with the AdaFruit library.

mark

charlie wallace

Oct 18, 2016, 11:59:40 AM10/18/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
i have one of these outdoor led sign walls in my garage at home,
they're ethernet cable to a pc via an fpga pci board then some hokey
software that captures the screen.

the manufacturer also sent me a tile + controller for a slightly
different system, if the controller is of use to you let me know and
i'll send it along. its a hub75 type.

https://goo.gl/photos/D7ynDFuCybkzgJkX6
https://goo.gl/photos/HnBk7ybXnjNBxfms7
https://goo.gl/photos/YQ7h76mVnETSUDyg7
https://goo.gl/photos/LaeAHVaS1UG2C2K88

Daniel Braisted

Oct 18, 2016, 6:35:20 PM10/18/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Todd
    When on Wednesday may I stop by to see the Tiles, Krux?

    Daniel

>>> --
>>> perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'
>>>
>>> --
>>> @synshop
>>> https://synshop.org
>>>

>> perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'
>>

> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org
> ---

@synshop
https://synshop.org
---

Thanks
 Daniel Braisted
 Administrator
 Vegas Inventors : Product Developers Group
  FB, Twitter, Meetup.com/VegasInventors

Krux

Oct 19, 2016, 8:32:34 PM10/19/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Braisted
They are in a box at the shop, but at this point nothing is working yet. I have to dig through the data sheets and write some test code before they are more than chunks of plastic with unpowered LEDs embedded in them. looks to be SPI, and just figuring out what steam of bits we need to send to make output happen, so I suspect that's not that hard of a problem to figure out.. Assuming they can be made to work, and don't need to be repaired first, as the box is marked "water damage". though they are potted with rubber and otherwise sealed, and even then they have a conformal coating on the pcb. So they at least look like they were designed for occasional exposure to water. But we have 124 panels, which gives us enough for a 2 meter by 3.5 meter display and a few spare, should some be beyond repair.

Daniel Braisted

Oct 20, 2016, 6:10:41 PM10/20/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Krux...
     If you want a donation to help test them or get them working .... Ask
       Daniel

Pete

Oct 21, 2016, 12:39:46 AM10/21/16
to SYN Shop
I've got them 90% figured out.  You can clock serial data in with the D1 and CLK pins then pulse the LAT pin to latch the input.  OE goes low to turn on the display. Once I get some code working I'll post it to Krux's github.  The panel I'm working with has some stuck pixels so we'll have to test all of them and figure out how many still work right.  We'll also have to figure out a power supply because they suck up a lot of current.

Thanks for the donation Tom, they're tons of fun to mess around with.

Pete

Daniel Braisted

Oct 21, 2016, 2:23:17 AM10/21/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Okay may have a prospect for sign on Water Street for outdoor sign
  Daniel

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Joshua Paxton

Oct 22, 2016, 4:57:33 PM10/22/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Booth looks great! Loved the fabric over the displays, hope the convention works out well for you guys.

Tom Mudd

Oct 25, 2016, 6:32:36 PM10/25/16
to SYN Shop
Thanks Josh.  It was a great show for us :-)

So, despite my best plans I'm not going to be able to make it down to the SYN Shop I'm afraid.  I had to get out of Vegas early to go and take down another LED demo, all a bit last minute.

Sorry to run off but good luck getting the tiles adafruited  !

Also, as Daniel implies, there's some tried and tested methods with off the shelf cards from China that will fire these up as a video screen  (but where's the fun in that huh ? )

Do shout if I can help.

All the best

Tom

krux

Feb 14, 2017, 6:14:11 PM2/14/17
to SYN Shop
Message has been deleted

charlie wallace

May 29, 2018, 12:01:41 PM5/29/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com
maybe you're looking for south london hackerspace or spc synshop is
in vegas, america land. so travel times and expenses might be higher
than normal. https://london.hackspace.org.uk/

charlie,
north of the watford gap.

On 29 May 2018 at 03:03, Tom Mudd <mist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks.
>
> Tom here - The LED tile donation chap from digiLED.
>
> Question - would anybody be interested in some freelance work servicing and
> repairing LED screens with us ?
>
> The work is predominantly hot-air, micro tweezer soldering iron and IR based
> repair of SMD circuits but there's also the packing / shipping and form
> filling associated with getting the repairs in and out of digiLED.
>
> Here's the thing though - the work is based in Dorking (just across from
> Gatwick airport) . Apologies - I know this is "London" hackspace but I
> thought it would be worth asking. Anybody near Crawley / Dorking etc who'd
> be interested ?
>
> Its £15 per hour for as many or as few hours per week as you'd like -
> probably for the next month or so.
>
> Please DM me if you think you'd be interested. CVs a bonus but not
> necessary if you just want to quick-scribble your skills in an email to me.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Tom and team digiLED
>
> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org
> ---

Tom Mudd

May 30, 2018, 4:53:06 AM5/30/18
to SYN Shop
Ah !   Yes..... Wrong group posting...Dammit I thought I deleted this post form the SYN Shop group !

Sorry.

Tom

PS - Anybody want a freelance job near Gatwick airport , UK ? :-)