Discord / chatroom?

Brian Westgate

Aug 20, 2017, 1:01:42 PM8/20/17
to SYN Shop
I'd love to meet more of you all when I'm not in a time crunch, and get to know who you all better!  So, I gotta ask, is there a Discord server for the space (or something similar like Slack, IRC, or more than Google Groups)?

If not, do you mind if I create one, or help an Officer create one?  It's pretty easy, and I don't mind if I'm the only one hanging out there until others check it out (I'm on other servers anyway).  Almost everyone I know who's tried Discord for online communities, ends up loving it, so I think this could have a lot of potential for the group.

Aakin Patel

Aug 20, 2017, 1:15:59 PM8/20/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
We have a slack. It's not heavily used,but I wouldn't mind seeing more use on it.

I can invite you (Or anyone else who's interested). Where do you want me to send the invite?

- Aakin

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Brian Westgate

Aug 20, 2017, 1:21:19 PM8/20/17
to SYN Shop
You can send it to br...@thewestgate.net

My last makerspace used Slack, and it had some use but not a lot.  One of the most frustrating things we had about it (maybe it's changed) is you had to explicitly invite each person and they had to create an account, etc.  Slack is obviously geared towards professional work by established companies/organizations.  Discord is much more open and depending on your settings, anyone can join and participate without creating an account or downloading apps.

If it's not too forward of me, I'll go ahead and put a server together and we can either toss it in the trash or transfer it to an officer :)

Lukas Kuzmiak

Sep 18, 2017, 3:21:02 AM9/18/17
to SYN Shop
Did you end up creating the discord server? In my past hackerspace in a different city we had a channel on freenode and it had a LOT of use, IMHO having a chat like that might be quite beneficial.

Lukas

Brian

Sep 18, 2017, 11:24:12 AM9/18/17
to SYN Shop

I did!  https://discord.gg/usygcq9

No one is on it though because I thought I'd give Slack a chance, but that's pretty dead too, even after I tried reviving it.

Anyone's welcome to freely join the discord, and if any SynShop officer hops on, I'll pass along the admin rights.

Daniel Hill

Sep 19, 2017, 8:34:27 AM9/19/17
to SYN Shop
Added a DC702 room. Mostly for coordinating Toxic BBQ.

We're looking to make a fancy badge this year.