Thing-O-Matic Repairs

Tydence Davis

Feb 28, 2018, 10:59:26 PM2/28/18
to SYN Shop
Hey All,

I got the MakerBot Thing-O-Matic printing last Saturday.
It just needs the stop switch on the X Axis mounted, and it should be usable.

It currently needs a computer to print from. But, there may be a solution to get it to print directly from an SD Card. - Making it far more user friendly, and more likely to be used.

MakerBot Gen4 Interface:

Most of the parts are things that can be pretty easily found around the shop.
But, I can't seem to find the PCB Board for sale. - Fortunately, it is open source.

Does anyone have experience making PCB Boards? I'v never done it.
Here is the board layout -

Thanks,
- Tydence

Dave Pifke

Mar 2, 2018, 9:57:31 AM3/2/18
to Tydence Davis, SYN Shop
Tydence Davis <tyd...@gmail.com> writes:

> Most of the parts are things that can be pretty easily found around
> the shop. But, I can't seem to find the PCB Board for sale. -
> Fortunately, it is open source.

I was ordering boards for another project, so I ordered 3x of this one
while I was at it. They should be done in a week or two.

--
Dave Pifke, da...@pifke.org

Tydence Davis

Mar 2, 2018, 12:00:48 PM3/2/18
to SYN Shop
Great! Thanks!
- Tydence

Marc Dittmer

Mar 5, 2018, 12:30:25 PM3/5/18
to SYN Shop
Great job Ty!  Thanks for working on this.

Tydence Davis

Mar 5, 2018, 11:49:50 PM3/5/18
to SYN Shop
Not a problem!

I'm going see how many of these things I can get going.. if anyone wants to help, have at it..!

Hopefully at some point we can spend more time printing - and less time getting printers to work.

Tydence Davis

Mar 12, 2018, 11:26:43 AM3/12/18
to SYN Shop
Here's where things are at with the non-working printers in the shop:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/176lNjl41gTBNZFNL6g68RtTz6IXgii11Ur-OI-tcho8/edit?usp=sharing

Krux

Mar 14, 2018, 1:50:43 AM3/14/18
to Tydence Davis, SYN Shop
I replaced the front panel board on the flashforge.. the sd card that was sitting by the printer was an adapter with a micro sd card that was marked bad, which of course it couldn't read either. I cut the card in half and threw it away so it couldn't hurt anyone anymore. but it read other cards fine. didn't test against the old one, but I'll take a look to see what part is bad on the cards we have and fix them.

I also ordered a replacement extruder block, since for some reason someone took the other one with a lever off the machine. so now it has two of the new style. extruder was clogged so I fixed that as well, and fixed the fan for that extruder. so should be ok for using either extruder.

oh and most importantly I put name tags on Trevor and Kevin the 3D printers.

Tydence Davis

Mar 14, 2018, 2:26:35 AM3/14/18
to SYN Shop
Great, thanks!

Tydence Davis

Mar 25, 2018, 3:32:43 AM3/25/18
to SYN Shop

Tonight, I found a new board for the Ultimaker in the cabinet.. that thing is almost running..!

I was able to connect it and get it to move. I even got the build plate leveled.
I think the parts to build the front end interface and card reader are in the cabinet. (If anyone wants to jump in)

Cura connects right up to it. I started a print, but wasn't able to get anything to extrude.
It uses 2.85mm filament and not the 1.75 that's in there. - and that's probably why I was having feed issues with it.

As for the FlashForge 2 - Mike and I took the power supply out and tested it. - It's putting out 48v instead of 24v.

We can probably assume that the main board is dead as well.

So, it needs an NES-350-24 power supply - $54

https://www.amazon.com/Mean-NES-350-24-Switching-Power-Supply/dp/B00KTJE3L4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521948987&sr=8-3&keywords=NES-350-24+power+supply

I found an extra MightyBoard laying around. But, we need a power supply to test it.

Otherwise -

Makerbot Mighty Board rev G - $125 without drivers -

http://www.geeetech.com/mightyboard-rev-g-p-885.html

Board with drivers + front controller board $149

https://www.ebay.com/i/112795898643?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Krux

Mar 25, 2018, 7:07:32 AM3/25/18
to Tydence Davis, SYN Shop
the ones we have are probably bad, though if we can figure out what parts are bad on the board it's a couple dollar repair vs $120

Tydence Davis

Mar 26, 2018, 2:02:31 AM3/26/18
to SYN Shop
I got the Ultimaker Original somewhat running tonight.

I found/installed an LCD + SD Card controller board that was in the cabinet, and that works. - It just needs an enclosure.

I just can't seem to get it to extrude. The nozzle has been unclogged,(Thanks for the help, Jed!). The extruder could be to blame as it moves filament very slowly, but it seems to work.

krux

Mar 26, 2018, 1:03:12 PM3/26/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Tydence Davis

Nice work.