need help finding Natural Wood branches for Harry potter Style Wands

Brian Dirk

Oct 26, 2016, 1:53:05 AM10/26/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, I'm failing at finding this.. so I'm hoping maybe the list may know / have suggestions.

I have some friends that are *very* into Harry Potter.  And I'm looking to craft
some custom wands for them hopefully from some branches The wood is apparently important for reasons I can't begin to fathom.. so I am looking for specific wood branches

Specifically I'm looking for about 14 inches of a "Holly" wood branch, and about 14 inches of a "Hazel wood" branch about 1 -1.5 inches in diameter each. Preferably more than one. each so I have some ability to make mistakes.

Short of buying a whole tree, The internet does not seem to provide for this specific a request. Anyone got any ideas on where I can find / buy this?

Brian D.

Brian C. Dirk
   "...And Miles to go Before I sleep..."
       ~ Robert Frost.

Social Networking:
   Google Profile:
       http://www.google.com/profiles/coloquialist
    Linked-In:
       http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-dirk/10/328/379

Mark J Koch

Oct 26, 2016, 2:07:47 AM10/26/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Kinda found this on the first shot:

Etsy, Hazelwood sticks.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/247612146/hazel-wood-twig-bundle-hazelnut-sacred?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-home_and_living-spirituality_and_religion-altars_shrines_and_tools&utm_custom1=22672a86-aa8e-42a0-a81d-b2848824a3bc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhbzABRDHw_i4q6fXoLIBEiQANZKGW82Wu60n1gSz2G2bweRulW4lyXHPJ_lHPZv243NSR3AaAp0d8P8HAQ

Mark
> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org
> ---

Aakin Patel

Oct 26, 2016, 2:10:19 AM10/26/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
This store on etsy was decent for me in aquiring specialty lumber: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThinBoards?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I'm not sure if he stocks sticks, but really you need a square-cut stock, since you will be turning it down, not a raw stick, I think (based on the wands I have seen). I know he mills his own lumber, so he ought to be able to get you whatever dimensions you need.

@synshop
https://synshop.org
---

Brian Dirk

Oct 26, 2016, 9:18:32 AM10/26/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Mark,
Yeah, I actually bought some of those, and asked the seller to incorporate thicker sticks in the bundle they said "No problem" and then sent me a bundle with no thick sticks in it. :(

Aakin,
I was sorta hoping to incorporate some of the natural features of the wood (curves, knots, etc...) Into the end project, but if I can't find anything: that is a good resource, thanks.

Pauls Mule

Oct 26, 2016, 9:45:48 AM10/26/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

I have some fig and cedar branches if that's interesting

Brian Dirk

Oct 26, 2016, 4:02:10 PM10/26/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Id be interested may not be the final product, but could be enough to play around with until I find a different source.

nate t

Oct 27, 2016, 6:17:00 PM10/27/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Brian Dirk
I have a pile of sticks that I was planning on throwing away, some of the wood is not great but there are a few pieces there that might be good for practice. Let me know if you want the nicer pieces of wood, I'll drop them off at the shop.

@synshop
https://synshop.org
---

@synshop