testing USBC PD gear

mr jones

Feb 26, 2018, 1:13:17 AM2/26/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

I really enjoyed finding out about which good USBC Power Deliver (PD) gear via Benson Leung's testing (see https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/benson-leung-chromebook-pixel-usb-type-c-test/).  However, this info is out of date as it was too laborious for him to test everything on an ongoing basis.  I had a bad part that I've since replaced, but I'm not entirely sure it's a good replacement.

Does anyone have a way of testing USBC PD gear?  Specifically one of these and some USBC <-> USBC cables.  I'd love to know that I'm not going to fry my laptop or start a fire (or both ;).

Thanks!
-adj

mr jones

Mar 30, 2018, 12:07:17 AM3/30/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Aakin Patel

Mar 30, 2018, 12:08:18 PM3/30/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Seems like it would be a part of the electronics area, so it is Krux's budget and decision.

- Aakin

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Krux

Mar 31, 2018, 7:30:46 PM3/31/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Aakin Patel
So does it do anything other than measure current?

mr jones

Apr 2, 2018, 1:25:52 AM4/2/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Aakin Patel
Krux,

Erm...no?  I mean, I don't know how it all works, but, "It supports USB PD 3.0 decoy and packet analysis,  multiple protocol detection, QC3.0/2.0, FCP, SCP, AFC, online synchronous test and off-line data recording, E-mark cable test, and Type-C resistance testing." according to their page. Sorry I didn't send that page with all the good details upfront.

-adj

@synshop
https://synshop.org
---

kr...@krux.org

Apr 2, 2018, 2:02:59 AM4/2/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Aakin Patel
Ok... well it looks cool. Not that I really have a use for it, but I could
see how it could be useful if you're debugging some USB power stuff.

> Erm...no? I mean, I don't know how it all works, but, "It supports USB PD
> 3.0 decoy and packet analysis, multiple protocol detection, QC3.0/2.0,
> FCP, SCP, AFC, online synchronous test and off-line data recording, E-mark
> cable test, and Type-C resistance testing." according to their page
> <http://www.chargerlab.com/2018/03/24/we-launched-a-new-power-z-km001c-tester/>.

> >> --
> > @synshop
> > https://synshop.org
> > ---
> >

> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org
> ---

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

mr jones

Apr 2, 2018, 3:14:00 PM4/2/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Aakin Patel
Krux,

cools!  it doesn't look like actually buying one is that easy.  if the shop is interested, I'd be happy to figure how to procure one and then y'all can just reimburse me? what ever works. I'd also be happy to produce a basic "101 to usb power testing" based on my results.

cheers,
-adj

> >> --
> > @synshop
> > https://synshop.org
> > ---
> >

> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org
> ---

krux

Apr 3, 2018, 12:02:01 PM4/3/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Aakin Patel, mr jones

I think if you're willing to teach a class on USB Power testing, then that makes it an easy sell.  I'm on board.