lichtenberg figures

Jason Stewart

Nov 18, 2017, 5:50:06 PM11/18/17
to SYN Shop
Does anyone have a high voltage transformer (microwave, neon, or oil burner) that I could have to build a setup for making lichtenberg figures? I figured I’d check here before hitting up goodwill.

Pauls Mule

Nov 18, 2017, 7:46:47 PM11/18/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Would a florescent ballast work?

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Jed Daniels

Nov 18, 2017, 8:52:43 PM11/18/17
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Frank Salerno
I think Frank (cc'd) had one at the shop a couple of weeks ago.

--jed

On Nov 18, 2017 2:50 PM, "Jason Stewart" <ja...@jasonstewart.me> wrote:
Does anyone have a high voltage transformer (microwave, neon, or oil burner) that I could have to build a setup for making lichtenberg figures? I figured I’d check here before hitting up goodwill.

kr...@krux.org

Nov 18, 2017, 8:53:05 PM11/18/17
to SYN Shop
> Does anyone have a high voltage transformer (microwave, neon, or oil burner)
> that I could have to build a setup for making lichtenberg figures? I figured
> I?d check here before hitting up goodwill.

I believe Frank was working a setup for that using a microwave oven
transformer.. and we have some 9kv neon sign transformers under the
electronics work bench that would work as well. Both are dangerous, but I'd
lean more toward the NST vs the MOT on safety.

Always always when dealing with high voltage, be safe. Don't touch it when
it's on and plugged in. And make damn sure it's not plugged in when you do
touch it. (putting the power cord in your pocket is a good method)

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Frank Salerno

Nov 21, 2017, 10:06:14 PM11/21/17
to SYN Shop
Hey Jason,  I do indeed have one at the shop.  You're welcome to use it while there.  If you'd like to, just get in touch with me first so we can meet at the shop and I can go over not killing yourself with it.  ;>