Coding for children

aldo...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2016, 7:35:42 PM9/10/16
to SYN Shop
My six year old son is interested in learning coding. He's done a little with Scratch and Blockly, and is interested in Python so he can write code for Minecraft.

We're looking for a tutor for him. He's apparently too young for the classes being offered in the area. My wife and I have worked with him a little on this but we're not very advanced in coding ourselves. We thought someone with more background might be able to offer a more structured approach.

Any suggestions?

David Grayson

Sep 10, 2016, 8:29:59 PM9/10/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hello. I saw this blog post recently that made a case that QBasic is
still the best way to start learning programming:

http://www.nicolasbize.com/blog/30-years-later-qbasic-is-still-the-best/

Since all the documentation you would need for typical QBasic programs
in right there in the IDE, it might be easier for your son to find
help on his own with less supervision or knowledge required from you.

--David
> --
> @synshop
> https://synshop.org
> ---

Jason Shupe

Sep 10, 2016, 9:24:25 PM9/10/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

You could try these also:

https://inventwithpython.com/

Thanks,
-J

--
@synshop
https://synshop.org

Aakin Patel

Sep 10, 2016, 9:49:23 PM9/10/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Codeacademy is good, and I could see at least the into python course working for someone his age. Also, Minecraft itself is very good at teaching programming concepts. Start looking at YouTube videos explaining redstone circuits. You can build most logical structures using those.  Everything is done in game, and directly applicable to other programming languages when he switches.

Brian Dirk

Sep 12, 2016, 1:26:01 AM9/12/16
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Depending on their skill level...

https://code.org/learn has some fun tutorials.  that start at basic skill levels, starting with programmatic thinking and then get into actual beginner tutorials. .

aldo...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2016, 6:39:04 PM9/12/16
to SYN Shop
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Very much appreciated.