Re: Small glass tube

Arclight

May 20, 2018, 2:54:45 AM5/20/18
to syn...@googlegroups.com
If you had more time, I'd put you in touch with the glass blower that comes to 23b, our hacker space in SoCal.  Since you are on a tight timeline, you might want to see if there are any glasswork shops in Vegas.  Maybe call a Neon sign company and ask for leads?

Arclight

On Sat, May 19, 2018, 9:58 PM <syn...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Andrew Morrow <amo...@gmail.com>: May 18 09:15PM -0700

This is a paste of what I just put in the r/vegaslocals subreddit:

Very long story short, for my son’s science project, I need glass tubing that is 6mm ID (inner diameter - a 5.98mm sphere needs to pass through it) and hopefully no more than 7-8mm OD (outer diameter)

The final length will be around 3cm, and given that children will be near it, it would be extra wonderful if it could be borosilicate.

I don’t know if this is merely a tall order or absolutely impossible, but I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction!

Thanks so much!

———-

For you scholars and amazing people, here’s the context:

The bar neodymium magnet in the middle is suspended by appropriately faced buckycubes. This prototype (his project is due on Tuesday.... I hear about it today. Kids, eh?) is just using a straw. I would like the final version to use (carefully!) appropriately faced buckyballs as opposing forces. (Alternately I could shatter and chip, or tile cut[?] one of the bar magnets that you see hovering in the middle. If it’s not obvious, the bar is held in place even when vertical. That’s essentially the point.

This would end up being in a ~3cm glass tube that would then be attached via Sugru to a quality mechanical pencil as a fidget type device. The Sugru would go half way up the tubing, and would smoothly seal both ends.

Unpictured, and something I don’t need any parts for is a small tact button, metal pins spread to grasp the pencil. This would be immediately above the glass tube and the final project is a “fidget pencil” with a clicky button and a fun magnetic display on the side.

Phew! So: I’m looking for 6mmID 7-8mmOD glass tube, preferably borosilicate.

Is that something anyone can help me find by Sunday night or so? I can technically wait until Monday to buy it if there’s a M-F supplier in town someone knows about. It just wouldn’t give me the cure time on the Sugru that I’d prefer for a presentation Tuesday :P

Thanks so much everyone :)

Andrew