I am Mike Diskett the original author of syndicate wars.

dizz...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 12:25:11 AM4/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to say awesome work guys, this must have been really really tricky (putting it mildly).

I just discovered this whole thing as I suddenly thought to myself, I should reverse engineer synicate wars. (but for the purpose of extracting map/mesh data).

and google through up your work.

Again, amazing!

Mike.

Michael D Klegin

Apr 6, 2013, 1:30:56 PM4/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Woot! Yo Mike D! Will you please assist and or contribute to the project. I smell a wicked PR opportunity here!

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
-Albert Einstein.

View my blog http://industrialphreak.blogspot.com/
Contact my PBX screen at 1-402-957-1294

dizz...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 9:12:40 PM4/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I have time to do much, do you have anything in mind.

There was a bug in the released game that meant your inventory got filled with invisible items, which stopped you being able to pick up the bombs on the spacestation level.

I would love to fix that, but it would certainly be very tricky with a reverse engineered assembly dump.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM, <dizz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just wanted to say awesome work guys, this must have been really really tricky (putting it mildly).

I just discovered this whole thing as I suddenly thought to myself, I should reverse engineer synicate wars. (but for the purpose of extracting map/mesh data).

and google through up your work.

Again, amazing!

Mike.

dizz...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 9:20:33 PM4/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com, dizz...@gmail.com
I just took a look at swars.s, my god! Nightmare.

rave...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 9:44:40 PM4/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com, dizz...@gmail.com
Hey Mike, IVCon supports Syndicate War's map/mesh formats.

dizz...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 10:06:22 PM4/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com, dizz...@gmail.com, rave...@gmail.com
Interesting, Allthough the heightmap for the floor is probably just as important.

Thanks.

Michael D Klegin

Apr 7, 2013, 9:33:47 AM4/7/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about getting multi-player working again.

Message has been deleted

Unavowed

Apr 8, 2013, 4:42:12 AM4/8/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Wow, thanks! And it's a privilege having you on our humble list.
Writing the port was rather tricky, but it was definitely worth it for
the learning experience, and bragging rights of course. It helped that
Syndicate Wars is a really good game, you and the others at Bullfrog
are the ones who deserve the praise for writing it in the first place!

Cheers,
--
Unavowed

Raveem Ismail

Apr 10, 2013, 5:00:58 AM4/10/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Recognition from the source at last for this valiant endeavour :).

Raveem Ismail

Apr 14, 2013, 7:17:59 AM4/14/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure someone must have mentioned it before, but given:

- The predictable crash and burn of the blasphemous Syndicate 2012 remake,
- The success of Kickstarter campaigns for spiritual successors such as Planetary Annihilation,
- And Peter Molyneux's endorsement of the spiritual successor of Dungeon Keeper (http://goo.gl/LA6d2),

Is there a case for the undoubted talent and enthusiasm that still exists for Syndicate / Syndicate Wars to be funnelled into a successor game which builds on what Syndicate Wars achieved?

The money being poured int properly publicised and propagated campaigns is now considerable.

dizz...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2013, 7:42:31 AM4/14/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Funny you should say that, I have something like this in the works...

Raveem Ismail

Apr 14, 2013, 9:28:36 AM4/14/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
The 200,000 raised by DK's successor game now seems paltry compared to what Planetary Annihilation and Torment managed to raise (2 to 4 million). With a good Kickstarter video, properly publicised (and endorsed: I'm sure Sir Peter would chip in), there could be vast potential for this beloved franchise.

I do hope there is the intention of taking steps forward from Syndicate Wars, not just Syndicate, since I did find the sequel head and shoulders above the already brilliant original, and before its time in many respects. The backstory was also fairly shallow in the original, and superbly crafted for the sequel: a continuation of what happens next (even decades or centuries afterwards) would be a big draw.

Syndicate Wars remains a game I've taken, even wrapped in emulation layers, on every computer I've ever owned (and I've been using Macs since 2004). So this is the best news on this front for a long time. Of course if this ever comes to pass, I'll be sure to spread the word amongst my own circles :). Regularly.

Regards.

Dr Raveem Ismail.

dizz...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2013, 7:15:50 AM4/16/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Rest assumed what we are thinking about isnt just a HD syndicate wars.

I have a lot of gripes with syndicate wars that I kick myself over now, lots of things I want to improve upon...

Raveem Ismail

Apr 16, 2013, 3:00:56 PM4/16/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
That's great to hear. Personal dissatisfaction with one's creation is such a driver for improvement.

What I've generally been concerned about is that whenever the franchise is mentioned in the media it is Syndicate which is mentioned, not Syndicate *Wars*. It's always made me feel trepidation that if the franchise were continued, it would be a remake/sequel of Syndicate, jettisoning the great advancements made with Syndicate Wars. Subjectively, I found Syndicate Wars better in every way than the original, and would hope any subsequent work builds on everything Syndicate Wars got right, including the backstory.

thewhitev...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2013, 5:53:24 AM4/29/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
The_IndustrialPhreak, are you part of this project?

If so could you PLEASE upload a recompiled Windows version of this project which includes the speed fix?

Good Old Games re-released the game, but it turns out to be nothing but a shitty DosBox wrapper.  This version is the best, but the speed is broken on the current compiled version.

I spend a solid 3 hours trying to figure out how to compile this thing myself, but I am not used to compiling C under Windows and even with the instructions on the front page couldn't get it working.

I know I'm not the only one who would be really grateful if you could arrange this.

On Sunday, 7 April 2013 11:44:40 UTC+10, rave...@gmail.com wrote:
Hey Mike, IVCon supports Syndicate War's map/mesh formats.

On Saturday, 6 April 2013 05:25:11 UTC+1, dizz...@gmail.com wrote:
I just discovered this whole thing as I suddenly thought to myself, I should reverse engineer synicate wars. (but for the purpose of extracting map/mesh data).

Michael D Klegin

Apr 30, 2013, 12:42:27 AM4/30/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com

Actually no. I am not part of dev team.

Korell

May 6, 2013, 11:32:12 AM5/6/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com, dizz...@gmail.com
Have to agree with thewhitev...@gmail.com, being as GOG released Syndicate Wars and that a number of the GOG forum posts mention this port, I would guess more users have tried using it recently. Myself for one, as this port is better than running it via DOSBox. However, could do with getting that speed fix from here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/syndicate-wars-port/sVDHowuiXcs being compiled with it. Unavowed says it is in their development version, but since no new version has been released since then we haven't yet got it. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with Unavowed's 0001-Lower-max_fps-and-fix-overly-long-sleep-times.patch file.

dizz...@gmail.com

May 17, 2013, 10:31:21 PM5/17/13
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com, dizz...@gmail.com, dan.k...@gmail.com
Here's a teaser vid you might all be interested in.

Thomas Ekenryd

Jan 7, 2022, 8:25:02 PM1/7/22
to Syndicate Wars Port
Hello 9 years ago! Love this. Was just looking around the net to see if one of my childhood favourites got some kind of source port or something nowadays and I found this fun thread with one of the creators of it being impressed by some peeps reverse engineering it. I love how small the world has become.

(bought satellite reign btw, too bad you guys didn´t do more stuff after that :/ )

Raveem Ismail

Jan 10, 2024, 6:05:49 AMJan 10
to Syndicate Wars Port
Yes. I was also dismayed that the Diskett-led team didn't end up creating more.

MikeDiskett

Jan 10, 2024, 8:24:38 PMJan 10
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
Dismayed? harsh :)

we still have hopes and plans for SR, we just dont have the money to do it at the moment..

Raveem Ismail

Jan 11, 2024, 3:08:13 PMJan 11
to Syndicate Wars Port
In sorrow and sympathy, I assure you Mike, rather than ungrateful ire! I know it must be challenging on the independent games scene.

The Syndicate Wars appreciation and nostalgia is such that people are still tinkering, and even creating that nice video linked in this forum. What a powerful creation to have echoes this strong so many years later.

Raveem.

Mike Klegin

Jan 11, 2024, 4:18:37 PMJan 11
to syndicate...@googlegroups.com
I Just started replaying the original source on modern hardware within
Lutris in Linux, yall should give it a try. Kinda cheated a bit bought
the GOG cause my original release cd is broken
> --
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It
takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction.
-Albert Einstein.

Phone # 1-402-957-1294

Very important documentation