SymPy presentation at Global Virtual SageDays 109, May 27-29?

Matthias Köppe

May 25, 2020, 1:21:12 AM5/25/20
to sympy
This coming week we run Global Virtual SageDays 109 (https://wiki.sagemath.org/days109), an event for the SageMath user and developer community on the occasion of the release of SageMath 9.1.

Wondering if a SymPy developer who was involved in the recent development would be interested in giving a presentation on what is new in SymPy 1.6. The main target audience would be SageMath developers. This could also be a starting point for a more general discussion of symbolic computation software in Python.

Ondřej Čertík

May 28, 2020, 6:47:27 PM5/28/20
to sympy
Hi Matthias,
Thanks for the email. It looks like everyone is busy at the moment. If you are able to give the presentation, we would be happy to provide you the information.

Ondrej

Matthias Köppe

May 28, 2020, 7:00:34 PM5/28/20
to sympy
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 3:47:27 PM UTC-7, ondrej wrote:
> Wondering if a SymPy developer who was involved in the recent
> development would be interested in giving a presentation on what is new
> in SymPy 1.6. The main target audience would be SageMath developers.
> This could also be a starting point for a more general discussion of
> symbolic computation software in Python.

Thanks for the email. It looks like everyone is busy at the moment. If you are able to give the presentation, we would be happy to provide you the information.

No problem. Let's keep this in mind for a future event though. I think it would be nice to build a stronger connection between our communities.

Oscar Benjamin

May 28, 2020, 7:52:15 PM5/28/20
to sympy
Hi Matthias,

I saw this earlier in the week and meant to say that I was interested
but I guess I didn't quite clock the dates. As Ondřej suggests, I've
been busy...

Oscar

Ondřej Čertík

May 29, 2020, 1:04:22 AM5/29/20
to sympy

On Thu, May 28, 2020, at 5:00 PM, Matthias Köppe wrote:
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 3:47:27 PM UTC-7, ondrej wrote:> Wondering
> if a SymPy developer who was involved in the recent
> > > development would be interested in giving a presentation on what is new
> > > in SymPy 1.6. The main target audience would be SageMath developers.
> > > This could also be a starting point for a more general discussion of
> > > symbolic computation software in Python.
> >
> > Thanks for the email. It looks like everyone is busy at the moment. If you are able to give the presentation, we would be happy to provide you the information.

One place were I was hoping the Sage community could collaborate with us is using SymEngine for very fast symbolics:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-devel/m8XXaoIpvIw/discussion

We spent one GSoC summer trying to integrate SymEngine more deeply in Sage, but unfortunately I think most Sage developers are interested in more math stuff, and don't have time to contribute to basic symbolics.

I still think that is the most natural place to collaborate, as any improvements done to SymEngine will immediately benefit both Sage and SymPy.

Ondrej

Matthias Köppe

May 29, 2020, 5:16:07 PM5/29/20
to sympy
Hi Ondrej,

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:04:22 PM UTC-7, ondrej wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2020, at 5:00 PM, Matthias Köppe wrote:
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 3:47:27 PM UTC-7, ondrej wrote:> Wondering
> if a SymPy developer who was involved in the recent
> > > development would be interested in giving a presentation on what is new
> > > in SymPy 1.6. The main target audience would be SageMath developers.
> > > This could also be a starting point for a more general discussion of
> > > symbolic computation software in Python.
> >
> > Thanks for the email. It looks like everyone is busy at the moment. If you are able to give the presentation, we would be happy to provide you the information.

One place were I was hoping the Sage community could collaborate with us is using SymEngine for very fast symbolics:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-devel/m8XXaoIpvIw/discussion

Thanks for the pointer.

We spent one GSoC summer trying to integrate SymEngine more deeply in Sage, but unfortunately I think most Sage developers are interested in more math stuff, and don't have time to contribute to basic symbolics.

I still think that is the most natural place to collaborate, as any improvements done to SymEngine will immediately benefit both Sage and SymPy.

Just a quick note that there is a new effort to integrate SymEngine in Sage, led by Vincent Delecroix, at https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29497

Ondřej Čertík

May 29, 2020, 6:26:51 PM5/29/20
to sympy
Hi Matthias,
This is great! Thanks for the pointer, I just replied there.

Ondrej