Cannot bind tempdb to a named cache

Motif

Apr 10, 2009, 11:20:59 PM4/10/09
ASE 15.0.2 ESD#2 with multiple tempdbs
can't bind any tempdb to a named cache.
sp_bindcache return error: Number (857) Severity (16) State
(1) Server (...) Procedure (sp_bindcache) Command Failed:
Cannot bind or unbind database 'tempdb_1' to or from a cache
as it is currently in use. User created temporary database
is considered to be in use if some session is assigned to
it. Refer to the users manual for more detail.

Rob V [Sybase]

Apr 12, 2009, 3:12:11 PM4/12/09
The message is self-explanatory, I guess.
You can check who is using this tempdb as follows (it might be yourself):

select spid, db_name(tempdb_id(spid)) from master..sysprocesses

Then, kill the spid(s) that use the tempdb in question. If it is yourself,
logout and login -- and check again.

HTH,

Rob V.
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

mailto:r...@YOUR.SPAM.sypron.nl.NOT.FOR.ME
http://www.sypron.nl
Sypron B.V., Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce 27138666

Motif

Apr 12, 2009, 3:41:33 PM4/12/09
Thanks Rob. The tempdb (named as tempdb_app) is not used by
any process. I did run the query you provide, it is not in
the result. Was able to bind cache to tempdb on another
server. Not sure why can't bind on this server. Still got
same error even after restarted server.

> The message is self-explanatory, I guess.
> You can check who is using this tempdb as follows (it
> might be yourself):
>
> select spid, db_name(tempdb_id(spid)) from
> master..sysprocesses
>
> Then, kill the spid(s) that use the tempdb in question. If
> it is yourself, logout and login -- and check again.
>

> HTH,
>
> Rob V.
> ------- Rob Verschoor

Motif

Apr 15, 2009, 1:34:13 PM4/15/09
Problem solved. Can't bind users/app to tempdb before bind
cache.