Introducing Piksi Multi

Swift Navigation (Josh Kretzmer)

Oct 10, 2016, 2:14:32 PM10/10/16
to swiftnav-discuss

Dear Piksi Community,

Swift Navigation is excited to share with you its newest product—a multi-band, multi-constellation precision GNSS receiver—Piksi™ Multi.  Just as the original Piksi module ushered in a new era of precision GPS affordability, the new Piksi Multi represents a revolution in advanced precision GNSS capabilities for the mass market.

The new Piksi Multi GNSS Module offers a major upgrade in RTK performance on a future-proof hardware platform. It supports GPS L1/L2 and is hardware-ready for GLONASS G1/G2, BeiDou B1/B2, Galileo E1/E5b, QZSS L1/L2 and SBAS. Multiple signal bands enable convergence times measured in seconds, not minutes. Multiple satellite constellations enhance availability in new environments. To learn more about Piksi Multi’s centimeter-accurate performance, advanced hardware and breakthrough $600 price, read the Product Summary.

The Piksi Multi Evaluation Kit has also been upgraded with all new components. The new kit contains a high performance FreeWave® radio set, delivering best-in-class reliability and range—well over 10 kilometers. The kit also comes with two Swift-branded, tri-constellation survey-grade GNSS antennas, for optimal RTK performance. In addition, the kit contains all of the accessories required for rapid prototyping and integration. Despite these top tier components, the evaluation kit is the lowest-priced multi-band RTK kit on the market, at $2,000.

Your feedback has helped immensely to shape Piksi Multi, and we would like to extend our thanks to the community. Existing customers will receive an email from Swift detailing a special offer. While Piksi 2.3.1 will no longer be available for purchase on our webstore, support and sales will still be available by contacting sup...@swiftnav.com and sa...@swiftnav.com.

Pre-order your Piksi Multi Evaluation Kit now and it will be shipped to you in Q1 2017, as soon as we have production units in stock.

Kind regards,

Swift Navigation Team

Blair Burtan

Oct 10, 2016, 5:56:57 PM10/10/16
to swiftnav-discuss
Changing the rules again, eh?  Pretty cool.

Tell me about the IMU.  Is there an EKF for it that incorporates RTK positioning?

Tim Robertson

Oct 11, 2016, 10:24:34 AM10/11/16
to swiftnav-discuss
Can we get some information about the mass of the full the system? Is it light enough to fit on a drone?

What's the weight of the full assembly?

Colin Beighley

Oct 11, 2016, 12:27:47 PM10/11/16
to Tim Robertson, swiftnav-discuss
Tim - you can find the mass on the Product Summary linked in the above email.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Tim Robertson <trobe...@airmada.com> wrote:
Can we get some information about the mass of the full the system? Is it light enough to fit on a drone?

What's the weight of the full assembly?

Colin Beighley

Oct 11, 2016, 12:30:35 PM10/11/16
to Tim Robertson, swiftnav-discuss
Oh, I see, of the system including antennae / radio / etc. We'll have to get back to you on that to give an exact estimate.

Swift Navigation (Josh Kretzmer)

Oct 11, 2016, 12:51:41 PM10/11/16
to swiftnav...@googlegroups.com
Blair,

At launch, Piksi Multi will provide the raw IMU readings to users.

Thanks,
-Josh

Paul Breed

Oct 11, 2016, 4:00:13 PM10/11/16
to swiftnav-discuss
What part of the software/design  is open source?

What part of the software/design is available under NDA? (Don't really care if its open or closed, just want to be able to modify and play with it)

Is there any way to review the hardwar design/schematic either open or under NDA?

Any data on the G tolerance of your new oscillator?

Paul

Blair Burtan

Oct 11, 2016, 7:01:09 PM10/11/16
to swiftnav-discuss

Boo...  Seems like a lot of the killer-app features (other than L2) are down the road with no release schedule.

What I would like to see is a dual antenna unit that can derive heading without the need to use magnetometers which are ALWAYS a nightmare.  Give Trimble a run for its money.

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 9:51:41 AM UTC-7, Swift Navigation (Josh Kretzmer) wrote:
Blair,

At launch, Piksi Multi will provide the raw IMU readings to users. A tighter integration of IMU data into our position engine is in our roadmap for future releases.

Tim Robertson

Oct 12, 2016, 7:22:54 PM10/12/16
to Colin Beighley, swiftnav-discuss
Thanks Colin,

Please let me know once you do.
--
Tim Robertson
Sr. Mechanical Engineer

Blair Burtan

Oct 17, 2016, 9:32:59 PM10/17/16
to swiftnav-discuss
Is there any CAD for this module available?  Might as well plan ahead. ;-)

Swift Navigation (Josh Kretzmer)

Oct 18, 2016, 12:42:41 PM10/18/16
to swiftnav-discuss
Blair,

We are currently in the process of producing supporting documentation. Models and drawings should be available shortly.

Thanks,
-Josh

Big Al!

Nov 15, 2016, 2:21:53 PM11/15/16
to swiftnav-discuss
Good news you guys are improving the solution!

An easy one.... how many channels will the new piksi be able to monitor and treat? I think the former one was acquiring, at most, 14 GPS L1 channels..

Regards,

Swift Navigation (Josh Kretzmer)

Dec 1, 2016, 3:52:44 PM12/1/16
to swiftnav-discuss
Piksi Multi will be able to track 44 signals simultaneously. These signals can be on the L1 or L2 bands.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pw Cloete

Mar 15, 2017, 4:12:55 AM3/15/17
to swiftnav-discuss
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into the Multi evaluation kits and for integration into Pixhawk. How "robust" is the solution at this specific point in time, or are there firmware / hardware improvements scheduled for the near future? I'm asking, because we had the older version units, but struggled to some extent with the RTK locking time (however see this was addressed with the Multi), and in some instances where the data streams from Piksi would "freeze".

I also know of for instance other RTK open source solutions whom struggled with "cycle slips" (as they referred to it), where the positioning quality would momentarily shoot from the point before converging to an accurate position estimation again, as such (where I did some tests and plotted the data in Google Earth):

Have done some extensive tests on RTK systems in the past, generating, overlaying and visually examining the data in visual environments, as with one of my examples here:

So basically just want to confirm to which extent the newer modules were tested (with integration onto Pixhawk), for getting all the bugs out of the pipeline type of thing, before I start investing time into the solution... Because I am interested in the Multi evaluation kit.

Regards
Pw

Bob Camp

Apr 23, 2017, 8:02:03 PM4/23/17
to swiftnav-discuss
Hi

Is there any information about the frequency range for the external clock input on the new board?

Thanks!

Bob