Can we set up 3 Duro GNSS receivers for RTK correction and heading info ?

zlg9

Oct 22, 2019, 11:45:17 AM10/22/19
to swiftnav-discuss
Hi,

I know Piksi Multi evaluation kit (set of 3) works with this configuration. But since Duro I/O ports are not the same as evaluation board, I was wondering if I can have the same application using 3 Duro (starter/inertial).

BASE:
One Duro as BASE connected to swift freewave radio.

ROVER:
Two Duros as Rover configuring the base line (for getting corrected heading/track).

What I am not sure about is that if I can connect these at the same time to just one of the Rover Druos
  • Computer (to get live stream for ROS)
  • Freewave radio kit (to communicate with BASE)
  • Second Duro receiver (to compute heading/track)
First one probably needs to take ethernet port, second and third ones probably need serial port, but there is only one serial I/O on Duro. Does AUX output work here for second or third one above?

Dennis Zollo

Oct 22, 2019, 8:42:18 PM10/22/19
to swiftnav-discuss
Hello,

You'll note that the AUX port on DURO also has a RS-232 serial port on pins 10 (tx) and 11 (rx) with flow control on pins 3 (RTS) and 4 (CTS).  On some of our docs it may be unclear, but this corresponds to "serial 1" or "RS-232 1" on the Piksi Multi evaluation board.

Armed with the evaluation cables we provide with Duro, you have the exact same serial and ethernet I/O capabilities, and connectors, as you do on the Multi evaluation board.

Best,
Dennis

Parikshit Maini

Feb 5, 2020, 4:07:35 PM2/5/20
to swiftnav-discuss
@zlg9: did you end up trying that configuration? were you successful?

Best
Parikshit

zlg9

Feb 5, 2020, 4:25:26 PM2/5/20
to swiftnav-discuss
That configuration is supported as @Dennis mentioned and I tried that. There are two serial ports available on every Duro. In our case, on one of the ROVER Duros, one serial I/O goes to Freewave radio (to communicate with base), the second serial I/O goes to the other Duro which will provide baseline information (heading of vehicle).

White it is physically supported, I was not able to get both Position (RTK) and heading simultaneously and from just one of ROVER Duros. My initial goal was to connect a computer to one of ROVER DUROs and read both heading and position from that. However, its not supported. The (available) ROS drivers, in specific, cannot tell you about these two information simultaneously when you run the node on one DURO. As it needs to read position from one DURO and heading from the other DURO, it requires you to connect both ROVER DUROs to the computer and run separate nodes to have both information (which is not a good idea!) OR you develop your own software solution to access both data.