Effective range

Mike

Aug 11, 2017, 4:39:47 AM8/11/17
to swiftnav-discuss
Hi,

I would like to known the effective communication range (in "line-of-sight" or close to) that everyone already have experienced.

Please describe your hardware (Antennas, Frequency, RF Modules).

My setup:  Freewave GXM (2.4 GHz), with 7dB Antennas (2.4GHz) for both Base and Rover.
Confirmed range ("fixed RTK solution"): 860m

Regards,
Mike

Clive Turvey

Aug 22, 2017, 2:47:01 PM8/22/17
to swiftnav-discuss
Low/Zero effort testing with LoRa 915MHz (5dB antenna, 14dBm/25mW tx power) I have 3000ft (915m), and can maintain RTK Fixed driving around the local industrial park.

With better antenna placement on the vehicle, line of sight was getting data out to 1.77miles (2850m). I'd expect to get further at 20dBm/100mW and roof/tower mounted antennas.

Would expect 2.4GHz to be range limiting.

Kirk Martinez

Jun 8, 2018, 10:28:22 AM6/8/18
to swiftnav-discuss
we're about to test a lora link too - with the GAMMA-868R - as 868 is the legal freq in EU.
Did anyone test the latency that can be tolerated? as these radios can be tuned to longer range but incur longer latency of 55ms min to around 1s
as our correction rate is 1s we would avoid using more than about 360ms mode I think.

We're back in Iceland using piksi Multi to measure glaciers this summer! it was very successful last year!
Thanks!
Kirk