html5, adobe edge and flash

Alayna11

Feb 14, 2012, 6:36:58 AM2/14/12
to SWFObject
hi, this isn't so much about swf object but a general question posed
to other flash users. Just wondering what other flash developers think
about the announcement that adobe's announcments this year regarding
Flash and their non pursuance of the flash player on mobiles/ipads
etc. ?

MOLOKO

Feb 14, 2012, 7:57:15 AM2/14/12
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
Very sensible TBH given that Apple were, for their own reasons, never going to allow Flash on iOS.

The only downside of all this is that - no matter what certain people in the blogosphere keep saying - the HTML5 group of technologies is not a complete replacement for Flash.

So there will be some things you just won't be able to do in the mobile browser, for example syncronising audio with animation.

HTML 5 has many of the same issues as HTML 4 did, cross-browser compatibility being the biggest pain in the wotsit as far as I'm concerned.

Some links worth reading:
http://www.uza.lt/2010/04/29/my-take-html5-vs-flash/
http://m.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/a-web-developer-speaks-flash-player-is-dead-html5-isnt-ready-long-live-air/19293

Alayna11

Feb 14, 2012, 9:25:48 AM2/14/12
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the links Moloko, Uza's blog was a particularly good read. As long as people don't start uninstalling their flash players I can't see how flash websites/animations etc will be too adversely affected... People would still have options of developing a flash site with alternate html5 (etc) content...