Fighting for phosphorus: Journal Club with Niall Bradshaw

1 view

arnorosem...@gmail.com

May 29, 2016, 7:07:52 PM5/29/16
to Sustainable Phosphorus Platform

Fighting for phosphorus: Journal Club with Niall Bradshaw

There is a looming crisis in food security, and phosphorus is at the centre of it. In this blog post, Grantham Scholar Niall Bradshawexplains the threat of finite phosphate reserves, and captures the discussion he led with other first year Grantham Scholars at their weekly Journal Club.

Phosphorus is a nutrient that’s essential to all life on earth. Since the mid-20th century, we have used vast amounts of its inorganic form, phosphate, alongside nitrogen and potassium, as fertiliser to increase crop yields. However, the finite nature of our planet’s phosphate reserves (rock phosphate that is mined and later purified) means that we must act now to prevent a disastrous shortage in the future.