clicking links

sc...@mixbook.com

Sep 15, 2014, 1:52:56 PM9/15/14
to sup...@googlegroups.com
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?

C. R. Oldham

Sep 15, 2014, 1:56:08 PM9/15/14
to sup...@googlegroups.com
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?

On Mac OS X in iTerm2, Command-click will open the link you click on in the default browser.

I'm guessing they borrowed that feature from one of the Linux terminal emulators.

--cro

Gaute Hope

Sep 15, 2014, 2:45:28 PM9/15/14
to C. R. Oldham, sup...@googlegroups.com
It depends on your terminal, check out what options there are for it.
rxvt-unicode for example has some matching patterns and a browser
setting somewhere.

Other than that @rakoo has a PR that isn´t merged yet where you can
goto urls with a key binding (#241,
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/pull/241)
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/supmua/etPan.54172834.216231b.503a%40cro-mbp.local.

Ruthard Baudach

Sep 15, 2014, 3:19:45 PM9/15/14
to supmua
>== Auszüge aus der Nachricht von scott vom 2014-09-15 19:52:
> Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and
> have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?

This feature was discussed a long time ago, and decided to be to
difficult to implement from within sup, especially as most terminals
implement such a feature, so there should be no need to double implement
it.

So the answer as to the recommended way to click on a link would be:

"use the right terminal"

Would be an idea to address this topic in the wiki, as I do not know
which terminals implement clicking on links, and how they have to
be configured to activate links.

I am using stumpwm and xterm, and copy–and–paste it into the browser.
Well, ehm, it does work, actually...

Greetings, Ruthard
signature.asc

Scott Bonds

Sep 15, 2014, 3:35:04 PM9/15/14
to Ruthard Baudach, supmua

Gaute Hope

Sep 15, 2014, 5:38:29 PM9/15/14
to Scott Bonds, Ruthard Baudach, supmua
Nice, you could put a link to it under Advanced usage.

Per Andersson

Sep 15, 2014, 5:41:12 PM9/15/14
to Ruthard Baudach, supmua
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Ruthard Baudach <ruthard...@web.de> wrote:
>>== Auszüge aus der Nachricht von scott vom 2014-09-15 19:52:
>> Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and
>> have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
>
> This feature was discussed a long time ago, and decided to be to
> difficult to implement from within sup, especially as most terminals
> implement such a feature, so there should be no need to double implement
> it.

Opening from the terminal with a keybinding would be nice. I definitely think
this is in scope for Sup.

> So the answer as to the recommended way to click on a link would be:
>
> "use the right terminal"
>
> Would be an idea to address this topic in the wiki, as I do not know
> which terminals implement clicking on links, and how they have to
> be configured to activate links.
>
> I am using stumpwm and xterm, and copy–and–paste it into the browser.
> Well, ehm, it does work, actually...

I am using rxvt-unicode-256color and have configured it with

URxvt.perl-xt-common: default,matcher
URxvt.urlLauncher: iceweasel
URxvt.matcher.button: 3
URxvt.matcher.pattern: \\bwww\\.[\\w-]\\.[\\w./?&@#-][\\w/-]

the above configuration, in $HOME/.Xdefaults or $HOME/.Xresources,
makes links (the matched pattern) in the terminal underlined and open
in iceweasel on right click with the mouse.

I'll add this to the wiki.

--
Per

PS. I use XMonad.

Tero Tilus

Sep 16, 2014, 5:17:19 PM9/16/14
to supmua
scott, 2014-09-15 20:52:
> Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup,
> and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?

I go around this by using publish hook to save the contents of html
attachment/part to public url, show the url in sup as message and then
ctrl-click that url to open the html message.

Hook looks like this
https://gist.github.com/terotil/b4688f7529df21ac82e1

--
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://tero.tilus.net/

Gaute Hope

Sep 17, 2014, 3:26:46 AM9/17/14
to sup...@googlegroups.com, Tero Tilus
Excerpts from Tero Tilus's message of September 16, 2014 23:17:
> scott, 2014-09-15 20:52:
>> Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup,
>> and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
>
> I go around this by using publish hook to save the contents of html
> attachment/part to public url, show the url in sup as message and then
> ctrl-click that url to open the html message.
>
> Hook looks like this
> https://gist.github.com/terotil/b4688f7529df21ac82e1

Hi Tero,

I belive this works for 'viewing / reading html parts', how do you use
your terminal to detect and open the link?

I've put your solution (with a link to this thread) for viewing
attachments in the wiki [0], I think the old discussion can be found
here [1]. My quick insertion of links in the wiki could probably benefit
from being separated out in a separate sub-section.

Note that if you are using Sup on your local machine and you don't have
a decoding hook, you should be able to press Enter on the HTML
attachment and have it open in the default application for you desktop.

There used to be an empty 'Webbrowser integration' wiki-page, but I
think we got it covered now with 'Clicking links' [2] and 'Reading html
mails' [0] using your solution.

Cheers, Gaute

[0] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Viewing-Attachments#viewing-attachments
[1] http://supmua.org/community/sup-devel/msg00530.html
[2] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Clicking-On-Links

Tero Tilus

Sep 17, 2014, 7:04:50 AM9/17/14
to supmua
Gaute Hope, 2014-09-17 10:26:
> I belive this works for 'viewing / reading html parts', how do you
> use your terminal to detect and open the link?

My usual terminals (Gnome terminal, LXTerminal) detect links and
support ctrl-click out of the box. Haven't really paid any attention
to that part.

> Note that if you are using Sup on your local machine and you don't
> have a decoding hook, you should be able to press Enter on the HTML
> attachment and have it open in the default application for you
> desktop.

I'm aware of that. Since I'm running sup on remote VPS this is not an
option. Locally it is of course way more convenient to rely on
default mailcap behavior.