Fwd: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Emerging Ideas: March 2015 Discussion

1 view

Dave Lynch

Mar 24, 2015, 4:28:26 PM3/24/15
to superp...@googlegroups.com
Saw this post on crumbweb, very interesting in relation to our model of collaboration.

Dave

Hello Crumbs,

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I've been thoroughly enjoying reading the many insightful and interesting
posts in this month's topic, so thank you to Suzy and the contributors.

I'm Director of the Australian Network for Art & Technology (aka ANAT),
which has been offering art/science residencies for the past ten years in
partnership with the Australia Council for the Arts.

The residencies are delivered as part of the Synapse initiative, which also
includes longer-term (2-3yr) residencies through the Australia Research
Council's Linkage program and an online database of art/science
collaborative projects: www.synapse.net.au

I started looking after the Synapse residencies in 2007. At that time, many
of the earlier residencies had been limited in their collaborative potential
by the process we had in place, specifically:
- we would call for host organisations;
- we would select three/four organisations;
- we called for artists to select which organisation they would like to
undertake a residency with;
- we would match an artist to each host for a three-month full-time
residency.

Generally, what would end up happening (noting there are always exceptions):
- the artist and host would spend the first month learning how to talk to
each other;
- they would spend the second month trying to figure out what research they
might collaborate on;
- and then have a whole four-weeks to do so.

Not surprisingly, this often resulted in relatively limited collaborations
and little in the way of an ongoing relationship between the artist and
hosts.

We changed this process for the 2007 round, with immediate and encouraging
results:
- we required a joint application from artist and host (meaning issues of
language/communication and identification of research focus had all been
dealt with prior to the application being submitted);
- we increased the residency term to four months full-time.

Since this change, we have witnessed relationships between the artist and
their host researchers that are considerably deeper and which continue over
many months and years after the conclusion of the residency. Also, the
outcomes are generally much more interesting. That said, it is important to
note that Synapse residencies have no requirement for outcomes; indeed, if
someone submits an application that anticipates an outcome at the outset
(for eg. a new work or an exhibition), they will usually not be selected.

Why? Because the Synapse residencies have as their core focus speculative
collaborative research... we want the partners to be able to 'follow their
noses' and incorporate learnings gleaned throughout the residency. Whilst we
foreground the speculative nature of the residencies, there are almost
always outcomes that arise as part of the research process, rather than
being the driver. These have included academic papers, exhibitions,
workshops or seminars, artefacts, conference presentations, successful bids
for longer-term engagement through the ARC Linkage program or, in one case,
the establishment of a University-based artist's residency program, placing
artists into other faculty and supported directly by the Vice-Chancellor.

I'm happy to write further about our model if anyone is interested, but in
the meantime you can read about the 30+ artists who have participated in
Synapse residencies over the last decade here:
http://www.anat.org.au/synapse-art-science-residencies/

With best regards
Vicki

andrew wilson

Mar 25, 2015, 4:12:03 AM3/25/15
to superp...@googlegroups.com
Excellent thank you, very interesting reference point.

I'm getting a train from Leeds at 6.30 this evening so if we want to meet up to make a plan about an ACE ASMbly application, this aft would be handy for me.

I'd rather meet next to the train station though if that's OK. 5.30-6.30 should be enough time.

I'm meeting Lara Drevitt from ACE on the 15th April and there is no reason why I shouldn't ask her what they'd support so long as I know what the options are. It's not her gift but at least I might get a sense. We can also make the link between her and Daniel Cutmore (right name?) so they know we know both, and hopefully both can support our applications.

07980 224 927

Lawrence Molloy

Mar 25, 2015, 6:43:36 AM3/25/15
to andrew wilson, superp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andy

I thought we were meeting first week in April. I don’t think Dom and I will be able to meet you (or if we do, and thats unlikely cause were working on the maths project and will only be able to leave early if we hit an impasse). Also we told quite a few people at Thursdays event that we will be in the pack horse so might have some newbees turing up and so need to be there from 6 just in case.

When are you back up? I’m on my phone if you want to chat today or next week.

Lawrence

andrew wilson

Mar 25, 2015, 11:36:34 AM3/25/15
to superp...@googlegroups.com
ok no problem about this evening but I can't do next Wednesday or the one after, I'm in Glasgow then Sheffield.

I'm going to be in Leeds anyway Friday 3rd, either before 3 or after 5 is good for me.

Lawrence Molloy

Mar 25, 2015, 12:57:38 PM3/25/15
to andrew wilson, superp...@googlegroups.com
Okay cool I'll see if we can get everyone together for that day.