Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Stansby, David

ungelesen,
19.09.2019, 06:26:3219.09.19
an sunp...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I’m in contact with the Solar Orbiter EUI instrument team, who are writing their processing pipeline and prep routines in python (🎉). I was therefore wondering what the SunPy policy in including specific instrument prep routines in SunPy is?

I am guessing the best solution is to make an instrument specific package (maybe a Solar Orbiter specific package in this case with multiple instruments), that interfaces strongly with SunPy (probably an affiliated package), to avoid having more stuff to maintain in SunPy, but wanted to double check this is the best way of doing things going forward.

Perhaps some sort of collectively agreed policy (maybe one exists and I’ve missed it?) on instrument specific routines would be good to add to the SunPy website too.

Cheers,

David

DVD PS

ungelesen,
19.09.2019, 07:47:5419.09.19
an sunpy-dev
Hi David,

Thanks for bringing this up! We've had said exactly what you suggest on multiple talks at different meetings to instrumentation/researcher teams. However, we don't have that written anywhere. And we should! Probably it would be a good idea to create it as a SEP.

Essentially, the preferred way would be that they create a package that they maintain, under their own organisation, but being developed in an open development fashion. SunPy is happy to help these teams to "check all the boxes" to become an affiliated project. Whether a SolarOrbiter package is better than instruments packages (SolOEUI, SolOSPICE,...) probably would depend on how they are created, how much code is common to all and what's expected from the users. There's always the possibility of having a meta package that installs all at once.

David

Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten