Too many options, or not too many options? ...

Mladen Mijatov

Mar 26, 2012, 5:53:38 AM3/26/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
For a while now I am thinking if we are adding too many options to preferences window. Many feature requests were marked invalid and users pointed to that window for more detailed examination.

This might be a problem as people tend to get lost in too many options. Am not sure how many users are out there and whether having this many options is actually a good thing. On thing is sure, no matter how simple we make options window people will still neglect to take a look at it. This leads me to another idea I've been brewing in my head. To make a quick guide for first time users. Add nice pictures, few lines of text just to give a user nice little guide to fill them in on how everything in Sunflower works.

You thoughts?

Torsten Funck

Mar 26, 2012, 7:36:06 AM3/26/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
A "How-To" is always a good idea. But I think, there is no need to add pictures.  A how-to with pictures remainds me of computer magzines for Windows users (Computer Bild) where you are told, which button to click in the next pop-up window.

I expect rather skilled users, that would be satisfied with a classical written man page explaining the options. For my case, when I use a new program or gui for the first time, I very early explore the "options" or "settings" menue to find out, what I can customize in which way.

Another thing is, that there can never be to many options, provided that all of them are preset to reasonable default values and thus making the whole thing useable with no prior configuration. And this is definitely the case with Sunflower.

Wojciech Kluczka

Mar 26, 2012, 12:07:10 PM3/26/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid any "how to" won't have expected effect: if user doesn't take a look at preferences window, he won't also take a look at how to. But in general a kind of FAQ on wiki is good idea.

Krusader shows configuration window at first start. Maybe that's the way to go?

Mladen Mijatov

Mar 26, 2012, 12:13:23 PM3/26/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
Opening preferences window should be a good move. Maybe tips dialog? I usually discard those but sometimes they do give me handy information.

Issues I've noticed is that people who are not following the development process don't know that tab icon hides menu or that icons on tab title bar are actually buttons. If we do show button border minimalistic look and feel would get ruined I feel.

Sergey Malkin

Mar 26, 2012, 2:26:38 PM3/26/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that there is so many options to be lost in. Honestly, I think that the more of them, the better. :-) But forcing users to check them before first start can be a little annoying. Most people seem to like programs that work fine immediately after start, without tedious configuration. Configuration is meant to be an instrument for adjustment to user's specific needs, not a necessary step to start. Maybe the most friendly way to introduce Sunflower features to an newbie is, indeed, something like the "first start" window with spectacular slideshow, changelog, and, maybe, useful related links (the project's site, bugtracker and so forth) gathered in it.

Wojciech Kluczka

Mar 26, 2012, 4:04:23 PM3/26/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com

2012/3/26 Mladen Mijatov <meane...@gmail.com>
Maybe tips dialog?

I thought about "tip of a day" too, but it should be something less "annoying" than dialog. Python-notify seemed to be good, but on Ubuntu it shows dialog when actions are added to notification...

2012/3/26 Sergey Malkin <adre...@gmail.com>

Most people seem to like programs that work fine immediately after start, without tedious configuration. Configuration is meant to be an instrument for adjustment to user's specific needs

But there doesn't exists configuration that will satisfy everybody. Every user has specific needs and we need to somehow show them what possibilities Sunflower gives them.

Maybe the most friendly way to introduce Sunflower features to an newbie is, indeed, something like the "first start" window with spectacular slideshow, changelog, and, maybe, useful related links (the project's site, bugtracker and so forth) gathered in it.

So I propose start window with:
 - all the useful links,
 - instead of "spectacular slideshow" - link to official online video tutorial (to be made) presenting programs features (something in style of those recent video reviews but official)
 - and, instead of showing preferences: big button "Configure Sunflower" (so user can choose if he want to bother himself of configuration).

Mladen Mijatov

Mar 27, 2012, 11:52:50 AM3/27/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of one-time welcome window that will contain links, button for preferences and some other things.

What should be on that window aside from links and button for preferences. I think having version comparison would be a good thing to have. We often have reports of missing features and bugs that were fixed few releases ago only because some repository didn't update to latest version.

thaumoradiance

Sep 3, 2012, 7:26:24 AM9/3/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion, a simple dialog box/notification stating that help & tutorials are available under the "Help" button in the toolbar could be the perfect compromise between hand-guiding and leaving users on their own.

Now, onto the content itself: the list of necessary items, in order of importance, would be as follows:

[Quick overview:] FAQ (either online or offline),
[More in-depth description:] "Features" (short tutorial of specifics of Sunflower - can be entirely textual, but if anyone feels like it, a graphical online tutorial is also an option),
[For advanced users, developers:] quick link to the manpage (If you see it as an actual necessity, of course. Mostly for offline use when user can't check the project page. Though, I see updating it from version to version being as a hassle.)

I think you also need to decide whom you will favor more during the development of Sunflower - beginners or power users. Ones will be more than happy with a plethora of options and customizations, while others will be confused by all the choice. Personally, I'd prefer you favoring the latter ;) I love having lots of options to play with, even if requires trial-and-error to get them in the perfect combinations.

Mladen Mijatov

Sep 3, 2012, 8:20:17 AM9/3/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply. I think that approach is good. To have separate help files. Also, creating a detailed help for power users would be awesome.

In my opinion the best approach is to have lots of options with great defaults. That way, novice users don't have to go through all the options but still can use the program.