Weekly Posts from The Horror Tree for 04/02/2021

Horror Tree

Apr 2, 2021, 7:03:35 PM4/2/21
to Stu
Horror Tree's weekly newsletter of submissions, content, & more!
View this email in your browser
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Pinterest
Website
Email
RSS
Word of the week: Pithy - adjective - (of language or style) concise and forcefully expressive.

We made a change to our database which I'm hoping will speed up the site. Fingers crossed that it makes a difference! We're also working with our host on making a major change on the backend which, in theory, would really speed up at least content creation and potentially the front end as well. I know, nothing flashy quite yet but we're thrilled at the progress. Speaking of progress, I believe we've come up with what we're going to be doing on the new layout and are exploring two themes that could make it happen. More on that as it comes to light!

Now, for some great news for Trembling With Fear - We have a new Specials Editor! Amanda Headlee, who has previously contributed to the site, is tackling the role and we couldn't be more excited! The next collections are still chugging along and there isn't a real update this week.

Now, for your reading pleasure from around the Internet!
Bang 2 Write: 29 Ways To Stay Creative
Jane Friedman: How to Get Accepted by a Writing Mentorship Program
LitReactor: Michael Clark on Marketing Your Book
Live, Write, Thrive: The 5 Turning Points in Your Novel
Reedsy: How to Find a Literary Agent in 6 Simple Steps
Writers Digest: Writing Mistakes Writers Make: Neglecting Research
Writers Write: 8 Things To Do With A Rejected Manuscript

If you post any writing content during the week and think it would be a good fit for us to feature, do reach out and let us know at con...@horrortree.com

Thank you Patreons! As always, the site's lifeblood is in your hands and we truly appreciate your support.

Looking To Help Horror Tree?
Here are the main things we're looking for:
- Advertising and either Site or Contest sponsorships!
- Someone to help create videos for social media (we have tools, but not time!)
- Article writers (articles, interviews, reviews, crowdsource compilations, etc.)
- Sharing guest posts with us or reaching out for us to be a blog tour host.
- The obvious one here is also to become one of our Patreons!

If you're interested in contributing and think you have something that would help out PLEASE don't shy away from contacting us! (con...@horrortree.com)

Thank you for your time and keep writing!
-Stuart Conover
Excerpts:

Indie Bookshelf Releases 04/02/21

Read on »

Taking Submissions: Dose of Dread April 2021

Deadline: April 15th, 2021 Payment: $10 Theme: Un-themed, general horror flash fiction. Preference to dread-inducing stories. Submissions OPEN (Monthly, 1st – 15th). Un-themed, general horror flash fiction. Preference to dread-inducing stories. Length: 500 – 1,000 words. Firm. Author Compensation: $10, paid via PayPal. Publication: Dread Stone Press website (Dose of Dread). Reading Periods: Monthly, 1st to 15th. Any stories submitted outside of each reading period will not be read. Two (2) stories will be selected out of each reading period for publication the following month. Rights: First World Electronic Rights. Non-exclusive rights thereafter. No reprint restrictions after publication. Original stories ONLY. No reprints. Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but NO multiple submissions. You may submit again the next month if rejected. If your story is accepted, please sit out one reading period before submitting again. Please, for everyone’s sake, no rough drafts. Successful pieces will require little to no proofreading edits. Email your submission as a Word document attachment to dreadst...@gmail.com with “DOSE – [Story Title] – [Author Name]” in the subject line. Please see the General Submission Guidelines below for additional formatting information. General Submission Guidelines Rejections for Dose of Dread submissions will be sent by the end of the month submitted. If you have not received a reply by then, feel free to follow-up. All rejections will be form rejections. It’s not personal, promise. Which also means please don’t respond to rejections. It’s unnecessary. For Dose of Dread submissions, please send your work by email to dreadst...@gmail.com with the subject line format: “DOSE – [Story title] – [Author name]”. Address your email to “Editor” or “Alex”. Please provide a brief cover letter in the body of the email (title, word count, relevant info, etc). Do not stress over or overthink this. Please include an author bio of 100 words or less, written in third person, plus any links (e.g. to a website /...
Read on »

Unholy Trinity: The Antics of Arnie Apples by Patrick Winters

Read on »

Taking Submissions: The Needle Drops

Deadline: May 1st, 2021 Payment: Poetry: £15 per poem upfront payment upon publication + 0.5% revenue share scheme., Flash Fiction: £50 upfront payment upon publication + 1% revenue share scheme., Short Fiction: £100 upfront payment upon publication + 2% revenue share scheme. Theme: Elevate us, and share thrilling stories of horror and romance, betrayal and bloodlust. Wherever you go regarding genre or form, we yearn to read what great works have yet to be read. Currently, we’re in the process of establishing our first publication – The Needle Drops… Whilst we welcome all submissions, currently we are only moving forward with those within the horror genre, to be featured in Volume One releasing in the Summer / Fall of 2021. The preliminary end date for submissions is the 1st of May 2021. However, we especially encourage submissions at any time from BIPOC and those from LGBTQI+ community, as it is important to prioritise underrepresented voices and experiences, especially within the publishing industry – something which has been dominated by the white cis experience.   The Needle Drops… features an illustrated comic strip, original soundtrack, curated design by our in-house team and more. Dive into our blog for more information. One contributor will have the opportunity to work with our composer on an original soundtrack piece that will feature in the OST, available physically in the Limited Edition of The Needle Drops… as well as digitally via our Urhi Supporter scheme.   Once we receive your work, our editor will take it onboard, considering how it could be placed in our current roster, and whether it is the right fit for us. If we are ready to collaborate, we will then get in touch, detailing the next steps on the process of publication. In the spirit of collaboration, all of our...
Read on »

Taking Submissions: J is for Jack-o’-Lantern

Deadline: May 31st, 2021 Payment: £10 Theme: J is for Jack-o’-Lantern J is for Jack-o’-Lantern – Submissions open April 1st. Deadline May 31st.  Halloween in theme for these stories but the Jack-o’-Lantern must play a key role. We are currently calling for submissions for a series of horror anthologies – The A-Z of Horror. The series will be based on a variety of themes and will consist of twenty-six books in total. We are looking for short horror stories, between 4000 and 8000 words, on each of the themes listed below. You may submit to more than one book, but we will only include a maximum of one story from each author, in each book. Being accepted into one book does not guarantee acceptance into one of the others. The story must be your own work, to which you hold the rights. The story must not be available elsewhere and, if accepted, we will hold the rights to it for three months from the date of publication. After that time, you may use the story however you wish. Any sub-genre of horror is suitable, even extreme, so long as the story fits the theme of that book and does not include anything which may unnecessarily cause offence (glorification of child abuse, rape, bestiality, etc.). Payment for the story will be £10, to be paid by PayPal, as well as a contributor’s e-book of the finished book. Please send submissions in a Word document (ideally Times New Roman 12pt, single spaced) to redcapep...@outlook.com with the title of the book you are submitting to in the subject line. Please ensure you have included your name on the Word document. If you have any queries, feel free to get in touch using the Contact page. We aim to respond to submissions within 2 weeks of the...
Read on »

Taking Submissions: Wight Christmas (Relist)

Deadline: May 31st, 2021 Payment: CAD 1/2 CENT per word for originals; 50% for reprints (i.e. CAD 1/4 CENT per word) Theme: Christmas horror with a dark and subversive theme that doesn’t include Krampus Note: Reprints Welcome Note: Relisted due to deadline extension Wight Christmas is an anthology of holiday horror, and in particular stories that subvert Christmas tropes and seasonal clichés. We are seeking dark reinterpretations of seasonal traditions, and stories that reimagine holiday characters as ghosts, demons, spirits, supernatural entities, or other paranormal phenomena. Fantasy and science fiction genres are both okay, but in all cases, submissions are more likely to be successful if they are dark and subversive. No Krampus. Details: Length: up to 5000 words Genre: Christmas/horror Pay: CAD 1/2 CENT per word for originals; 50% for reprints (i.e. CAD 1/4 CENT per word) Reprints allowed: Yes (paid at 50% the rate of originals) Multiple submission allowed: No, send your best shot Simultaneous submissions: Yes, just please tell us if it is accepted elsewhere Rights sought: worldwide print and digital rights, exclusive for three months for originals, non-exclusive for reprints Poetry allowed: Yes, paid at a rate of CAD 1 cent / word for originals; reprints are paid at 50% the rate of originals. Submission Window: submissions will be open for a limited window of one week. Submissions open Monday March 15th at 12AM. Submissions close on Sunday March 21st at 11:59PM. How to Submit: we accept submissions through our submission form. Additional Information: Q: Does it have to be typical white North American Christian Christmas tropes? Are other traditions okay? A: Other traditions are okay, but these are much more likely to be successful if you are an #ownvoices writer. Subverting tropes of the dominant/majority culture is great because it’s punching up; subverting tropes of minority cultures is something we’d prefer to leave to people from those cultures. For this...
Read on »

Taking Submissions: Frost Zone Zine Issue 4 (Early Listing)

Submission Window: April 5th-18th 2021 Payment: 6.00 CAD for 1000-2500 words and 8.00 CAD for 2500-3500 words Theme: short horror fiction with elements of supernatural, quiet, gothic, eerie, paranormal, strange, folklore, magic POETRY submissions will be closed for this issue. Newly added: drabble 100-word fiction Frost Zone Zine is a quarterly zine that is published in digital and print formats. The print issue is a digest-magazine-size paperback book that averages 80-100 pages. (Print will be changing after this year; see this post for more information.)   What we do want: Supernatural. Quiet. Gothic. Paranormal. Eerie. Strange. Folklore. Magic.       Fiction. Original, unpublished, never-broadcast short stories 1000-3500 words. Submit 1 or 2 stories for consideration. (Longer pieces may be considered if writing is concise, not to exceed 5000 words. Keep in mind only 1 or 2 stories over 3500 words can be included, if any.) Also non-paying opportunities: flash fiction 400 – 1000 words, and drabble (exactly 100 words). Submit up to 3 pieces for consideration.   What we don’t want: Do not send material that is offensive, promotes or describes hate, torture, or abuse, is excessively gory or violent; no slasher. No religious, sexual, explicitly adult situations, or politics. No space opera. No fan fiction. No ‘formula’ stories. No derivative works. No media tie-ins, or current events/pop culture references.   For more insight into what Frost Zone Zine is looking for, read this interview with editor M.M. MacLeod For more info. & tips read this page. Payment Frost Zone Zine does not charge reading or submission fees. Payment is expected to increase with time, but as a small, self-funded publication, the following compensation is offered: PAYING OPPORTUNITIES: These pieces may or may not appear on the website, other than a preview, and listed in the table of contents, but will be published in the eBooks and print books. Short Story: (1000-2500 words after editing) 6.00...
Read on »

Epeolatry Book Review: Till We Become Monsters by Amanda Headlee

Read on »

Taking Submissions: Tales From The Cyber Salon Event #2 – The High Street

Deadline: May 2nd, 2021 Payment: £50 payment Theme: “One thing is certain. The high street landscape has now irrevocably changed and there is no point clinging on to a sentimental vision of the past.” Tales From The Cyber Salon Event #2 – The High Street Throughout 2021, Cybersalon will host ‘Tales of the Cybersalon’, a series of interdisciplinary technology and policy investigations through science-fiction storytelling. We want your stories and we want you. Help us imagine the future of our digital revolution in industry and society, and to identify and explore its emerging cultures. Each event will feature new speculative short stories purpose written for the exploration of Healthcare, The High Street, Social Communities and Political Representation. Each short story will interrogate where we are and where we might be going. The series kicks off on March 30th with the first event, New Normals in Health. And we’d like your submissions for the second of the four events. An open call for events three and four will follow. Selected writers will be expected to engage with the panel experts ahead of the event to finesse the technological aspects of their fiction. Each event will have three or four new short stories which will be released in advance to the audience on Cybersalon’s Medium page. The stories will be read on the night by their authors, followed by a panel discussion between the writers and the technologist domain experts who inspired them, with an open invite to audience questions to wrap up. We’re looking for submissions of approximately 1000 words that explore the future by extrapolating from the present. Please bear in mind that we are not looking for the post-apocalyptic or utopias on other planets; the stories need to be plausible enough for our experts and audience to engage with...
Read on »

Serial Killers: The Fisherman’s Ring (Part 2) by Christian McCulloch

This is post 2 of 2 in the series “The Fisherman's Ring” Serial Killers: The Fisherman’s Ring (Part 1) by Christian McCulloch Serial Killers: The Fisherman’s Ring (Part 2) by Christian McCulloch
Read on »

Taking Submissions: Under Her Skin, a Black Spot Books Women in Horror Poetry Showcase

Deadline: May 31st: 2021 Payment: $5 and a contributors copy Theme: Poetry about body horror Note: Open to all poets who are women (cis and trans) and non-binary femmes. To celebrate National Poetry Month, Black Spot Books will be publishing its inaugural Women in Horror Poetry Collection in April 2022: UNDER HER SKIN. This collection is open to all poets who are women (cis and trans) and non-binary femmes. Submissions open March 2021 and will close May 30, 2021, with decisions made on a rolling basis. Poems to be included in the collection will be chosen by Black Spot Book’s editorial staff and guest judges. The theme of the inaugural collection is body horror. This is a broad spectrum and poets are welcome to interpret the prompt in their own vision–so long as it’s dark, unsettling, an on-theme. The showcase will feature a cover with hand-drawn illustration by respected horror artist Lynne Hansen and will be distributed in both print and ebook. Poems must be previously unpublished, though published poets are, of course, welcome. We accept submissions of poems up to fifty lines. Free verse preferred (please, no forced rhyme or clichés). We accept up to three poems per poet. Submissions should be submitted along with a brief bio. Each poem chosen for publication will be paid $5 and each poet will receive a copy of the collection upon publication. Poet will retain rights to any accepted poem, with first right of publication by Black Spot Books. Showcase Judges: For the 2022 collection the judges will be Black Spot Books president and award-winning author/editor, Lindy Ryan, and Toni Miller, a founding member of the Ladies of Horror Fiction (LOHF). Lindy Ryan is the president and publisher of Black Spot Books, an imprint of Vesuvian Media Group. She is an award-winning and bestselling author and editor....
Read on »

Epeolatry Book Review: I Would Haunt You If I Could by Sean Padraic Birnie

Read on »

Taking Submissions: The Hungry Ghost Project

Deadline: May 1st, 2021 Payment: £5 and a contributors copy Theme: food, hauntings, memory and consumption, both independently and combined. Please email all submissions to con...@hungryghostproject.com. We accept fiction and creative non-fiction up to 1000 words on the topics of food, hauntings, memory and consumption, both independently and combined. Please do interpret our theme! We are also open for visual art submissions of all kinds! Please send up to five JPG or PNG files. We accept (and encourage) hybrid, experimental and creative-critical work. Unfortunately, we cannot publish poetry at this time. All accepted work will go through a brief, collaborative editorial stage. Please make sure your writing is double-spaced (where possible) and presented in a readable font. The email subject line should include your name and the type of submission, for example: [name] – fiction. Writing should be sent as a word document and accompanied by a PDF if necessary. Tell us a bit about you in your cover letter, and include a brief bio of up to 50 words. Our submissions are open to everyone, and we particularly encourage marginalised and emerging writers to submit. We have reserved five spaces in our first issue for previously unpublished writers, so please let us know if you qualify! Upon publication, contributors will be sent £5 (via PayPal) and a print copy of the issue. Copyright remains with authors and artists, but we ask that you credit us if your work appears elsewhere. We only accept unpublished work. We encourage multiple (1–3) and simultaneous submissions, but do let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere so we can congratulate you! Our response time is currently less than a week, but please allow up to thirty days before querying. Plagiarism and hateful content will never be tolerated. Submissions close on May 1st. Thank you for your support! Via: The Hungry Ghost Project.
Read on »

Taking Submissions: Pixie Forest Publishing Untitled Horror Anthology

Deadline: May 15th, 2021 Payment: $10.00 Theme: Horror stories with depth Pixie Forest Publishing is seeking horror stories for our upcoming anthology. Give us twists, terror, and excitement. Chill us to the bone. Give us nightmares. Don’t just scare us, create a plot and let us see your characters. We are not looking for stories with graphic rape or paedophilia scenes. Violence and gore just for the sake of being violent and gory is not what we are wanting. If it is essential to the plot, include it. If not, leave it for a longer story. Submissions are open until 11:59 EST on May 15th, 2021. Stories should be between 1500 and 3000 words. All submissions must be written in Shunn Format. Please remember to include the title, author’s name, word count, and contact information at the top of the first page. This is so the publisher can easily find you to contact you. Not including your email will guarantee no response. You may submit up to two stories, but we will only accept one per-author. We are currently offering $10 for each accepted story. We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know right away if your story is accepted elsewhere. We are accepting reprints, as long as the story hasn’t been published within the past two years. This is to prevent our readers from seeing the same story they may have just read in a different anthology. Please tell us when and where your story was previously published. The author must hold all rights to their stories before publishing with Pixie Forest. If your story is available online, we ask that you take it down before submitting. We are going to read each submission as quickly as possible and make a judgement in one of the following ways: The...
Read on »

The Horror Tree Presents – An Interview with R.B. Wood

The Horror Tree Presents – An Interview with R.B. Wood By: Ruschelle Dillon   Ruschelle: Thank you for taking time from celebrating the release of your forthcoming novel from Crystal Lake Publishing, Bayou Whispers, on April 29th.  How about we pour ourselves a finger (or two) or bourbon and chat about all things booky, beasty, and boooozy, shall we? Your novel, mostly, takes place in New Orleans. Did you set out to write a story set in NOLA or did the story come first and NOLA just seemed to be the perfect backdrop?     R.B.: NOLA was always going to be the setting, but what I started with was a very different idea for Bayou Whispers. Initially, I was going to write a more historical, purely Southern Gothic Horror story. Some of the horror elements are still there, as are some of the initial characters (modernized, of course). But there is something so special about New Orleans that I had to make it my “locale of choice.”   Ruschelle: Many authors would love to visit the locales of their novels or they write what they know and pen their tales from a view from out their own backdoor. Were you lucky enough to hang out with Papa Legba while researching the bayous, culture, parishes and beignets? Mmm…beignets.    R.B.: Sipping a Blackened Voodoo while enjoying some of the best seafood is not a wrong way to research a novel. I spent a lot of time in New Orleans back in the days I traveled for business. Work hard and play hard was my motto, and if I was anywhere near a good airport, playtime meant NOLA.   Ruschelle: When doing research for Bayou Whispers, was there anything mind-blowing you discovered, be it about NOLA, voodoo, your own writing?   R.B.:...
Read on »

Kill Your Darlings Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt
Kill Your Darlings Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt
$21.50 - $29.50
View
The Word Cloud Word Tree Tote bag
The Word Cloud Word Tree Tote bag
$23.50
View
Copyright © 2021 Horror Tree, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this e-mail for opting in through HorrorTree.com and we hope to keep bringing you the latest options for writing in horror!

Our mailing address is:
Horror Tree
221 S. Warwick Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp