British Council Visual Arts Newsletter Nov '19

Visual Arts

Nov 12, 2019, 1:01:30 PM11/12/19
to Stu Dio

Is this email displaying properly? if not, read it in your browser

November 2019

Photo: Cristiano Corte © British Council.  Courtesy of the Artist, The Modern Institute/Toby Webster Ltd, Glasgow and Xavier Hufkens, Brussels.

*Final Weeks* Cathy Wilkes British Pavilion Artist 2019

Our #BritishPavilion Cathy Wilkes solo show at the 58th International Art Exhibition - La Biennale di Venezia is in its final weeks. The exhibition features an interconnected series of floor-bound sculptural installations, paintings and prints. You can explore the exhibition in a series of commissioned films as well as discovering more about our role as commissioner of the British Pavilion since 1937.

© Photo credit: Agnese Sanvito, copyright BC

Net//Work Open Call: Partner With Us To Design A Digital Arts Residency Programme

We are inviting applications from UK organisations to partner with the British Council to design and deliver four residency programmes and host a total of sixteen artists. We are looking for applicants to propose and create a residency programme which will encourage a diverse range of artists to create new work by introducing them to different technologies that can help shape the global sector.

Find out more and apply here.

Image: Agnese Sanvito, © British Council

WE ARE HERE: Artists' Moving Image From The British Council Collection And LUX

WE ARE HERE is a series of five artists’ film programmes of compilations and installations curated by Tendai John Mutambu for the British Council and LUX. Exhibitions from WE ARE HERE have been shown internationally in Kazakhstan and Indonesia. Find out more about the programme here.

Image: Ayo Akingbade Tower XYZ, 2016 still Digital Video 2 minutes, 57 seconds Courtesy of the artist and LUX

#CollectionHighlight: Larry Achiampong

For this month's collection highlight we are featuring Larry Achiampong's work titled 'Pan African Flag For The Relic Travellers’ Alliance #1' which explores Afrofuturism and African diasporic identity using Pan African colours and symbols. This work forms part of 'Relic Traveller: Phase 1', a multi-disciplinary project featuring performance, audio, moving image and prose.

You can explore more highlights from our collection here.

Image: Larry Achiampong, PAN AFRICAN FLAG FOR THE RELIC TRAVELLERS’ ALLIANCE (ASCENSION), Applique Flag, 2017. Commissioned By Somerset House. (C) Courtesy of The Artist and Copperfield, London. Photo credit © British Council Collection

Venice Fellowship Programme 2020 - Open Call

Applications for our 2020 Venice Fellowship programme are open for partners to apply. Institutions will have the opportunity to become active participants at the British Pavilion in the Architecture Biennale 2020. Find out more about the timeline and selection process here.

Twitter social iconInstagram social icon

© 2016 British Council
The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).

You have received this newsletter because you registered on our website or previously showed interest in British Council news. If you wish to opt out of future newsletters please unsubscribe here.

If you have been forwarded this email and would like to receive future emails from us you can subscribe to this newsletter here.