Discover Fashion Revolutionaries | Meet our Helsinki Design Residents | Travel to Sub-Saharan Africa

1 view

British Council Architecture Design Fashion

Apr 24, 2018, 1:28:19 PM4/24/18
to Studio NI

Is this email displaying properly? If not, read it in your browser.

British Council logo Architecture Design Fashion

April 2018

Fashion Revolution Week

Watch seven films from Fashion Revolutionaries, which we comissioned as part of Fashion Revolution Week, 23 – 29 April 2018. The films showcase the innovative stories of seven practitioners across the world, including fashion designers, artists, architects and entrepreneurs.

Find out more here.

Meet our Helsinki Design Residents 2018

Find out more about our 2018 Helsinki Design Resident, textile designer Laura Spring. This year, for the first time, we have also selected a Finnish designer in residence; Laura will be working alongside Elina Laitinen.

Read our Q&A with Laura here, and find out about Elina here.

Open Call: UK Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai

The Department for International Trade (DIT) is calling out to all UK based architects and designers to submit innovative design concepts for the UK’s pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai.

Apply by 30 April

Find out more here.

Talk: Design Abroad - Perspectives on Global Opportunities

Join designers from Assemble, Studio Swine and artist Alpa Depani to hear how experiencing different cultures, environments and engaging with new design communities can enrich your practice.

Having completed Winston Churchill Fellowships, they discuss how this opportunity to travel has shaped their work.

Tuesday 1 May 2018, 18.00 - 19.45
The Design Museum

Find out more here.

UK Design: What's On This Month

See our picks for what's on in architecture, design and fashion in the UK at the moment including highlights of London Craft Week and the new film about fashion icon Vivienne Westwood.

Take a look at What's On here.

Open Call: Art Connects Us Research Grants

Calling all UK arts organisations interested in undertaking research in Sub-Saharan Africa. Apply for our Art Connects Us Research Grants by 11 May 2018.

Find out more here.

Island at the British Pavilion in Venice

Next month, we will unveil ISLAND at the British Pavilion for the Venice Architecture Biennale 2018. Responding to the theme of Freespace, ISLAND will create a new public space in the Giardini in Venice. This year's curators, Caruso St John Architects with artist Marcus Taylor, explore themes of 'abandonment, reconstruction, sanctuary, Brexit, isolation, colonialism and climate change'.

Discover more here.

Open Call: participate in Beirut Design Week

Beirut Design Week is calling architects, designers  and artists to apply for their three open calls:

UNIDO invites you to submit urban intervention proposals for public spaces in the cities of Al Mina (Tripoli), Northern Lebanon.

MEKER calling for you to envision the future of kitchens in 50 years time.

ADORNO invites local independent and upcoming designers to submit proposals for unique small-scale production pieces.

Find out more and apply before 10 of May here.

V&A at the Venice Biennale 2018

In collaboration with La Biennale di Venezia, the V&A will present Robin Hood Gardens: A Ruin In Reverse. The V&A's pavilion will be centred around fragments of Robin Hood Gardens, Alison and Peter Smithson’s Brutalist housing estate, that will be transported to Venice from Poplar, East London.

The exhibition features a new commission from contemporary artist Do Ho Suh and explores the impact of architectural design on housing, past and future.

Find out more here.

Twitter social iconInstagram social icon

© 2018 British Council
The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).

You have received this newsletter because you registered on our website or previously showed interest in British Council news. If you wish to opt out of future newsletters please unsubscribe here.