Need a Christmas gift for someone? Our Spring Progamme is now live...

Irish Writers Centre

Dec 5, 2018, 1:11:52 PM12/5/18
to studionort...@gmail.com
Christmas gifts ideas: Spring courses, IWC Membership, gift certs
View this email in your browser
Professor Assumpta Ryan, Valerie Bistany, Maria McManus & Carol Conlin at XBorders: Transition, Armagh Robinson Library
Photo by Ian Maginess
Hello IWC friends,

It's officially December, and while it's been busy here in the Centre, we've been enjoying the magical lights next door on the Hugh Lane Gallery as part of 'Winter Lights Dublin City' with Dublin City Council.

With Christmas just around the corner, we'd like to remind you about our Membership Package which includes the Centre's 25th Anniversary Anthology, Beyond the Centre AND a year's membership for the special price of €60.  Membership includes discounts on courses and events, the use of our beautiful Georgian building as a hot-desk workspace, the chance to meet like-minded writers, and much more. Grab the package deal here. Offer ends Mon 17 Dec at 5pm. Alternatively, pick up an IWC gift certificate which can be used against courses and membership.

Our Spring Programme for 2019 is now officially live, and courses are already booking up, so don't miss out on the chance to get that perfect gift for a loved one. For youngsters, we've got Second Thursday Writing Club for Children with Oisín McGann which will be great craic, and Teens Writing Camp with Deirdre Sullivan

For the grown ups, Mary Rose Callaghan will be in for her Memoir workshop which promises to be a supportive and encouraging environment for anyone thinking of putting their story to paper. And for writers interested in finessing the art of research and bringing their fiction to life, we've got Henrietta NcKervey in for Focus Your Form: Research

If that's not enough to whet your appetite, we have lots of niche offerings available in our Propel and Mindshift series. We are excited to welcome award-winning film director Oonagh Kearney to the Centre with her one-day workshop, Representing Women on Screen. Then, we welcome Evelyn ConlonWendy ErskineDavid Hayden and Lisa McInerney to share their expertise on the magic of short form fiction in The Masterclass Series on the Short StoryTom Hall will help you Pitch your Scripts for film and television, Caelainn Hogan will discuss her career, and help you with yours, as a non-fiction writer in Creative Non-Fiction, and Sallyanne Sweeney will walk you through the ins and outs of the publishing industry in How to Beat the Slushpile

As regards upcoming events, we have hugely exciting news! We are partnering with EPIC, The Irish Immigration Museum to present our box office smashing annual Nollaig na mBan event at CHQ on Sun 6 Jan, featuring the wonderful Sinéad Gleeson as MC (who will give us a sneak preview of her self-penned book) and many other fabulous women writers. Booking opens Mon 10 Dec at 4pm, check out the line up and book early to avoid disappointment.

Finally, our first Open Day of 2019 will take place on Sat 26 Jan where you can join us for free workshops, tours and lots more - register here

We're all looking forward to seeing you at the Members' Christmas party tomorrow, Thurs 6 Dec at 7pm where we'll have the pleasure of hearing readings from members, young writers, New Irish Communities, IWC Ambassador John Banville and the Jack Harte Bursary winner announced by the man himself. Let us know here if you can make it.

As always, check out our social media channels for more news, course updates, and reminders of what's on at the Centre, or just stop by and say hello!

Until next time,

The team at the Irish Writers Centre

Northern Ireland: Mindshift - Edit Your Novel: Join Patsy Horton in Belfast for this course on editing your novel, preparing for publication and pitching to publishers.
Starts: Mon 18 Feb (6 weeks)

Northern Ireland: Creating a Scene - Playwriting: Join Rosemary Jenkinson in Derry and learn how to write for the stage with fresh and cutting-edge ideas.
Starts: Sat 2 Feb (one day)

Second Thursday Writing Club for Children: This course with Oisín McGann is suitable for any young people who have an enthusiasm for writing, even those who have yet to decide what they want to do with it.
Starts: Thurs 31 Jan (6 weeks)

Starter Kit in Creative Non-Fiction: This starter course with Kevin Breathnach will explore elements of non-fiction writing such as memoir, social commentary, cultural criticism, and the construction of narrative space and time.
Starts: Mon 4 Feb (6 weeks)

Propel: Masterclass Series on the Short Story: Join Evelyn Conlon, Wendy Erskine, David Hayden, Lisa McInerney and others to discover new ways to get to the heart of what makes short fiction one of the most engaging forms of modern literature.
Starts: Wed 20 Feb (8 weeks)

Focus You Form: Research: Join Henrietta McKervey to explore the how-what-where of various research sources.
Starts: Mon 25 March (2 weeks)

Teens Writing Camp: In this course with Deirdre Sullivan, participants will work on building stories, characters and worlds, and explore what works and doesn't work for them in the fiction they consume.
Starts: Tues 16 April (3 days)

At the Centre

Members' Christmas Party
Thurs 6 Dec | 7pm

Join us in raising a glass to a year of success for the Centre and Irish writing.

Let us know here if you're coming.

Arts Council Literature Bursary Award Information Clinic

Wed 12 Dec | 3.30 - 5pm
Poetry Ireland, 11 Parnell Square East

To book a place, RSVP to in...@poetryireland.ie by Wed 5 December.

Thurs 10 Jan | 6 - 7.30pm
Irish Writers Centre

All welcome to this information clinic in advance of the Arts Council's Literature Bursary Award (for writers working in English).

Find out more and register here.

Annual Open Day 2019

Sat 26 Jan | From 11am

Save the date! Join us for free workshops, tours of the building and lots of information on who we are and what we do.

Find out more and register here.

One-to-One Mentoring

Are you struggling to complete your novel or could you use a trained eye to help you finish your book of poetry? Have you got a film script underway that needs a professional point of view, or perhaps you’re working to complete a collection of short fiction? The Irish Writers Centre has developed a panel of mentors, published authors and industry professionals to help you make your writing as good as it can be.

Read more about One-to-One Mentoring >>>

IWC Membership

Whether you're taking a writing course, attending literary events, looking for a quiet space to work on your writing or demonstrating your support for the Centre's work and the literary arts in Ireland, we have a membership option for you. Our tiered membership structure offers great value with StandardProfessionalOrganisation & Friends memberships to choose from.

For more information see our Membership page and find the option that's right for you.
Website
Website
Twitter
Twitter
Email
Email
Facebook
Facebook
Instagram
Instagram
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2018 Irish Writers Centre, All rights reserved.
You have been signed up to receive this newsletter.

Our mailing address is:
Irish Writers Centre
19 Parnell Square
Dublin 1