Mightier Than the Sword #18 - The Dark House and the Time Eye

Paul Carroll

May 4, 2021, 11:07:50 AM5/4/21
to Stu

Mightier Than the Sword

The Newsletter of Paul Carroll

Welcome to a new edition of Mightier Than the Sword, in which one writer 3D prints a magical tool to try save the day, and comics take form out of the aether. I'm your chronologically challenged host, Paul Carroll, here with updates on comics and the magical hobby that is 3D printing.

Project Dark House

As if by magic, the artwork on the first comic within the Dark House range has been completed. I had the absolute pleasure of working with Clare Foley on a short comic called The Fiend in the Forest. I'll be lettering for release in the near future, to show off some recent work from one of my favourite artists in the small press scene.

The major project for Dark House is still awaiting a funding decision, but I can begin to prepare my outline for it now ahead of the official start of the book. The creative team is all lined up, so now it's just a waiting game.

In the meantime, I'll be looking to put together a few more shorts to build out a little collection of dark tales of things that go bump in the night.

Comix Ireland's new logo!

With my plans for the revival of Comix Ireland underway, I've designed a new logo. Because the website will be without reviews, and I'll be focusing a lot of the content on other people, I've opted towards a design that shows off in some way the comics that I've been lucky enough to make with people without throwing my name all over the place.

The main focus of the website will be on:

  • A creator directory
  • Interviews
  • Resources
  • News from Irish comic creators

I'll be specifically targeting the site's resources towards helping comic creators with things like money planning, marketing and PR, with an Irish-specific focus on the rest of the content. By my latest count, there are over a hundred comic creators in Ireland working across different roles, so there'll be some work required to create a directory that's up to date.

When we return to events, I'll be able to revise the list a little more closely to what's actually happening in Ireland, and reach out to creators who wouldn't otherwise see my social media posts.

An Eye on the Future

We're over a year into a global pandemic, and Ireland is still slow in its vaccination programme. Even with that in mind, it feels right to start looking towards the future and what's to come.

I'm not quite in the position to start announcing new titles, because life has a habit of getting in the way whenever I set myself plans for things that aren't completed yet (or, in the case of State of Despayre, the whole plot was missing), but I can at least plan a general direction in which I'll be working.

I just have to learn how to balance my book, Cupán Fae, Limit Break Comics, Red Fox Cards and Comix Ireland with work, whatever form that takes. Easy, right?

Until next time!
Paul

Thanks for reading! If you loved it, tell your friends to subscribe.

If you didn’t enjoy the email you can unsubscribe here.

To change your email or preferences manage your profile.

113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

Built with ConvertKit