We'll weather winter together with our stockpile of books

Dianne Ascroft

Feb 19, 2021, 10:10:19 AM2/19/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
View in browser

Hello, and a warm welcome to old and new readers alike.

If you are in the northern hemisphere, I hope your winter hasn’t been too severe during the past few weeks. I know some places in North America and Europe have been hard hit by storms. Where I live in Northern Ireland, we have a moderate climate. We’ve had a few snowfalls that have only stayed on the ground for a few hours. They were pretty while they lasted, and I was thankful I didn’t have to shovel the snow.

Last month I promised to tell you a bit about where the names of some of the characters in The Heritage Heist came from

Well, they were suggested by four people who helped me get the Century Cottage Cozy Mysteries series off the ground.

When I produced A Timeless Celebration, the first book in the series a couple of years ago, I ran a Kickstarter campaign to fund the production costs and there was an amazing group of people who donated to the campaign. Several made very generous pledges, which propelled the campaign forward and ensured that it would meet its goal.

Four of those people were especially generous, and as a thank you, they were each invited to name a character for this second novel in the series.

They each picked the name they chose for a reason. Olivia Robertson is named after one person’s granddaughter, Olivia. Josie Moyer is named for another person’s late mother, Josephine. Piper - Constable PJ (Piper Jenny) Ross – was a challenge that person set for me to find a character that would fit the unusual name. Don Robertson is my tribute to the fourth person. He was too modest to choose a name so I inverted his first and last names to create the character’s name. In each case, I was given the name and built a character to fit the name and the story. It was a fun way to create some new characters for the novel. And a couple of them will stick around for future books in the series.

Do you have a favourite character in the series? What do you like about them?

Have you not read The Heritage Heist yet? You can find it here:
https://books2read.com/u/4XLYBN

What are you reading to help pass the long winter evenings?

I have a never ending tbr pile and I’m ploughing steadily through it as I lounge in front of the fire. Of course, many of the books and authors I’m enjoying include historical fiction and cozy mysteries.

Here’s a few of my recent reads:

Historical fiction: Ella Carey’s The Paris Time Capsule, and Alexa Kang’s Last Night with Tokyo Rose.

Cozy mystery: Leighann Dobb’s Stabbed in the Solarium, and Angie Fox’s The Haunted Heist.

Here’s a couple new books that I think you might enjoy:

Alexa Kang’s Last Night with Tokyo Rose: A WWII Novel (Nisei War Series Book 1): I am Tom Sakai, an ordinary man. How far should I go for a country I once called my own, when it has abandoned me and shattered everything I ever believed it to be? Do I swear my allegiance to Imperial Japan, the instigator of war and violence? Or America, the country that deserted me when the world's darkest hour begins? How can I choose when doing so would mean losing forever the woman I love?

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Night-Tokyo-Rose-Novel-ebook/dp/B08S36L6FL

Leighann Dobb’s Stabbed in the Solarium (A Moorecliff Manor Cat Cozy Mystery Book 2): When the Moorecliff clan gathers at Moorecliff mansion for Archie’s memorial service, no one expects gossipy aunt Shirley to end up stabbed in the solarium. It’s not really a big surprise though, pretty much everyone in the family had reason to want her dead. https://www.amazon.com/Stabbed-Solarium-Moorecliff-Manor-Mystery-ebook/dp/B08MZ43VC8

Looking for some free books or books on sale to stock up your ereader? Have a browse through these Bookfunnel giveaways below to find something to while away the dark evenings.

Romance and Mystery. It's Valentine's Day this month. What more could you want? https://books.bookfunnel.com/elizabethrainkindleunlimited2/r0a89is04w

Brand New Cozy Mysteries: Hot off the press. Brand new cozy mysteries. Dive in and scoop them up. https://books.bookfunnel.com/brandnewcozymysteries/3yp6yuh2j8

Fall in love with a cozy mystery: It's the month of love so fall in love with your next cozy mystery. https://books.bookfunnel.com/freefebruarycozies/lnzsjz3zu7

Love these cozy mysteries: You'll love these free cozy mysteries. Go on. Have a browse. https://books.bookfunnel.com/cozymysterylover/auzvdqdbkg

Fresh starts and cozy hearts: Will a fresh start lead to a mystery, or will a mystery provoke a fresh start? Find out. https://books.bookfunnel.com/elizabethrainkindleunlimited/j9l4jat2z6

Mystery and history: They just go together. Have a browse and find out for yourself. https://books.bookfunnel.com/historyandmystery/ebxxx2klzh

Historical Women’s Fiction: Step into the past with women who are at the centre of good stories. https://books.bookfunnel.com/historicalwomensfiction/zd1ykr9auu

Well, that’s it for this month. It’s time for me to get back to writing the next Century Cottage Cozy Mysteries novel. Are there any characters you’ve met so far in the series that you want to see in the next book? Let me know.

I hope I’ve helped you find a little history or mystery or romance to add to your reading pile this month. I’ll be back next month with more news and offers that I think might interest you. And maybe we’ll talk about some of your favourite Century Cottage Cozy Mysteries series characters.

Meanwhile, happy reading!

Dianne Ascroft

Author of history, mystery and romance in the twentieth century

www.dianneascroft.com

Dianne Ascroft

Brookeborough

Northern Ireland

United Kingdom

facebook twitter instagram

You received this email because you signed up for Dianne''s newsletter or downloaded one of her books or stories on Bookfunnel or ProlificWorks.

Unsubscribe
MailerLite