: @WasafiriMag April 2021 Newsletter

Studio NI

May 1, 2021, 7:41:58 AM5/1/21
to studio...@googlegroups.com
Free online events, Pre-orders for Issue 106, and more
New issue, free online events and more!

Spring is in full swing

... and we've got a busy month ahead with a series of free online events in May, Transformative Testimonies: Writing and Human Rights. The new Wasafiri Essay Prize is open for entries, and the 2021 Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize is still open for Fiction, Life Writing, and Poetry submissions until May 31.

Happy reading!

from the Wasafiri Team

Pre-order Wasafiri 106: Water

Guest edited by Stephanie Jones and Charne Lavery, our summer special issue on 'Water' features essays on reading in Antarctica, indigenous knowledge and oral poetry, and interviews with Philip Hoare and Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor – plus new poetry, fiction, articles and life writing.

INSIDE THE ISSUE

Editorial  On Water

Interviews Chloe Aridjis, Philip Hoare, Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor

Articles Indigenous Knowledge and Marine Conservation in Oral Poems from the Kenyan Coast; Land and Sea Acts: Performances in and out of Photography on the South African Coast; Reading in Antarctica; The Time Sea

Art Ways of Seeing Wetness

Fiction Simone Haysom, Aiysha Jahan

Poetry Ivy Alvarez, Joshua Bennett, Elizabeth-Jane Burnett, Joe Lines, Haji Malaakh Haji

Life Writing Hedley Twidle

Review Essay  Mer-beings among Us: Three Contemporary Novels

pre-order now
Transformative Testimonies:
Writing and Human Rights

17-23 May 2021

We are excited to announce a new series of free digital events, Transformative Testimonies: Writing and Human Rights.

In December 2020, Wasafiri launched issue 104: Human Rights Cultures. This special issue explored writing in the wake of political crisis and opened up conversations and connections between literatures, writers, and creatives from four countries: RwandaKenyaColombia, and Argentina. Transformative Testimonies will build on this special issue with a multi-country, multilingual, digital programme of workshops, panel talks, readings and a publishing roundtable

Programme highlights include:

Boundaries of Reality
Tuesday 18 May | 19:00-20:00 BST

How do writers find the right shape for their story, and where does the boundary between truth and imagination lie? Novelist and journalist Selva Almada (Argentina), actor and filmmaker Ery Nzaramba (Rwanda), activist and documentary filmmaker Liliany Obando (Colombia) and poet and filmmaker Ngwatilo Mawiyoo (Kenya) discuss the many ways of writing a life.

Poetry Workshop with Leo Boix: Human Rights & Testimonio
Wednesday 19 May | 18:00-21:00 BST
What makes literature necessary in times of flagrant human right violations, and how can poetry respond? In this workshop we will look at poets and writers who take as their subjects human rights abuses, injustices, and oppression.

The Future of Human Rights Writing
Sunday 23 May | 16:00-17:00 BST
Billy Kahora will facilitate a roundtable discussion between Louise Umutoni-Bower, Founder and Director of Rwanda’s Huza Press, and Carolina Orloff, the Director of UK-based Charco Press, looking ahead to the future of writing and human rights.

Transformative Testimonies is funded by the British Council and supported by UKRI Arts and Humanities Research Council.

Click here to view the full programme and book tickets

'How do we breathe in a country that does not accept us?'
Writer and curator Kadija Sesay writes about co-curating the work of Khadija Saye, reflecting on spirituality and storytelling in British-Gambian culture, art as resistance, and bonds between mothers and daughters.

Khadija Saye: in this space we breathe is on at the British Library until 8 August 2021. Free, but advance booking necessary.
One day at sunrise you come across your body

and greet it, as though it were a guest or traveller.

You bathe its legs and sprinkle it with sandalwood

and rose water.

Read a new poem by Queen Mary New Writing Prize judge Tishani Doshi, 'It Has Taken Many Years to See My Body'
The 2021 Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize

Just one month left to enter the 2021 Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize! Open to all writers who have yet to publish a book-length work of fiction, life writing or poetry.
Entries close

Wasafiri Celebrates
With each monthly newsletter, we want to celebrate and uplift our community's successes.

Congratulations Desirée Seebaran, winner of the 2019 Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize for Poetry, winner of the 2021 Johnson and Amoy Achong Caribbean Writers Prize. Read her prize-winning poem 'Picong'.

The stellar Jhalak Prize shortlist for 2021 has been announced, featuring Wasafiri writers Rachel Long and Paul Mendez. And congratulations to Andre Bagoo, who has won the 2021 OCM Bocas Prize for Caribbean Literature for non-fiction for The Undiscovered Country.

Become a Wasafiri Subscriber

Subscribe, Save, Support

Our summer special issue, Watertakes the natural resource as its focus and its inspiration—collecting pieces that are fluid in genre and form. Our next general issue makes space for thinking through Crisis and Recovery, the year in Wasafiri coming to a close with House of Wisdom, which focuses on libraries and Islamic literary culture.

Sign up now to receive our next four issues straight to your doorstep.

subscribe
Coming soon to Wasafiri online
Leone Ross on the politics of magical realism; Hana Pera Aoake on water; Sharanya Deepak, Tice Cin and An Yu.

Twitter Twitter
Instagram Instagram
Facebook Facebook
YouTube YouTube
Email Email
Copyright © 2021 Wasafiri Magazine, All rights reserved.
Wasafiri · c/o School of English and Drama, Queen Mary, University of London · Mile End Road · London, Greater London E1 4NS · United Kingdom
Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp
--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100