GLAAD: Broadcast TV boasts record number of LGBTQ characters

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media SmartBrief

Nov 7, 2019, 4:04:33 PM11/7/19
to StudioNort...@gmail.com
Geena Davis Institute, Google release largest study on gender representation in advertising | See Jane Spotlight: Young girl takes "The Rocketeer" lead in gender flipped script | Director Greta Gerwig champions women with "Little Women"
Created for StudioNort...@gmail.com |  Web Version
November 7, 2019
SIGN UP ⋅ FORWARD ⋅ DONATE ⋅ FacebookTwitter
Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media SmartBriefGeena Davis Institute on Gender in Media SmartBrief
Working to create positive images of girls and women in media and entertainment
Gender In Media
GLAAD: Broadcast TV boasts record number of LGBTQ characters
GLAAD's 2019-20 "Where We Are on TV" report finds that 10.2% of characters who are series regulars on prime-time broadcast TV this season are LGBTQ, up from 8.8% last year, and for the first time LGBTQ female characters outnumber male characters. GLAAD has set a goal of 20% of series regular characters be LGBTQ characters by 2025 to reflect a study that shows 20% of those ages 18-34 identify as LGBTQ.
USA Today (11/7),  Variety online (11/7),  The Washington Post (tiered subscription model) (11/7)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email
Geena Davis Institute, Google release largest study on gender representation in advertising
Geena Davis Institute, Google release largest study on gender representation in advertising
(Google)
The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, in partnership with Google, released the largest study on gender representation in advertising ever conducted -- we looked at 2.7 million YouTube ads representing 562 billion views from 52 countries grouped into 11 verticals. We found that ads with gender parity received 30% more views. See the full study here.
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email

See Jane Spotlight: Young girl takes "The Rocketeer" lead in gender flipped script
See Jane Spotlight: Young girl takes "The Rocketeer" lead in gender flipped script
“The Rocketeer” (L) and Executive Producer Nicole Dubuc (R) (Disney Junior/Craig Sjodin)
Disney Junior's new animated series, "The Rocketeer" slips the gender script on a classic story, putting a female character in the lead Rocketeer role. "It's especially important to have touchstones for all children, regardless of gender. I like to break stereotypes by empowering girls and show that one female character doesn't have to be all things - that's why we have female characters who are good but also created female villains for this series," says Nicole Dubuc, executive producer, in this See Jane Spotlight Q&A. Dubuc is inspired by the work of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media and says, "The Institute challenges me to put labels on some of the choices I was making and challenged me to revisit my work for bias. It makes me more aware as a storyteller to check and double-check my story and character choices." See Jane Spotlight (11/4)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email

Director Greta Gerwig champions women with "Little Women"
Director Greta Gerwig champions women with "Little Women"
Gerwig (Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)
Director Greta Gerwig shares her experience in adapting Louisa May Alcott's classic "Little Women" and how the underlying issues that the female characters lived through remain relevant today. "I think, as adult women, we're always walking with our younger selves," Gerwig says.
The New York Times (tiered subscription model) (10/31),  Deadline Hollywood (11/2)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email

Bond women bring 007 franchise into modern era
Bond women bring 007 franchise into modern era
Cast members (L-R) Lea Seydoux, Ana de Armas, Naomie Harris and Lashana Lynch (Roy Rochlin/Getty Images)
British actor Lashana Lynch and Spanish actor Ana de Armas discuss their part in modernizing the next James Bond installment "No Time to Die" in the era of the #MeToo and Times Up. They also explore how receptive director Cary Joji Fukunaga and screen writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge were of bringing a woman's perceptive to the forefront of the film. "Brains and looks are equal this time. [The character Paloma is] very smart. She helps Bond navigate through certain things that he wouldn't be able to do alone," de Armas said.
The Hollywood Reporter (11/6)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email

Bella Thorne set to direct untitled thriller
Bella Thorne set to direct untitled thriller
Thorne (Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty Images)
Bella Thorne will be making her directorial debut with an untitled thriller written by Zander Cote. Shooting is set to begin in the summer of 2020.
Deadline Hollywood (11/4)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email

Trends & Insights
Study: Is there a link between Alzheimer's and menopause?
Research by neuroscientist Lisa Mosconi shows that there may be a correlation between the onset of menopause and Alzheimer's, specifically because of a dip in estrogen levels -- estrogen levels protect the brain against the disease. "Alzheimer is not necessarily helpless. There's so much in our power to mitigate whatever risk we have, and I think that's kind of empowering," says Mosconi.
Today (11/2)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email
Ideas in Action
Documentary film-making may be gateway to gender parity in entertainment
Documentaries made by women, like Rachel Lears and Petra Costa, may have clenched the majority of award nominations in the latest awards season for the International Documentary Association, but progress is still needed to bring about gender parity. Filmmaker Lauren Greenfield believes the financial stakes aren't as high for documentaries and therefore the industry is more open to having women in power. "There's a lot of work that still needs to be done. Just not quite as much as work that needs to be done in the fiction world," producer Julie Goldman says.
Variety online (11/5)
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email
Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media News
Chicago: Join us Nov. 13 for our See Jane Salon: "Intersectionality Matters: In Hollywood, Leadership & Advertising"
Please join us as we celebrate this year's achievements. On November 13th in Chicago, we will present the key findings of our groundbreaking "See Jane 2019: Historic Gender Parity in Children's Television Report," and highlight statistics from our "Rewrite Her Story Report" in partnership with Plan International as well as our Bias and Inclusion in Advertising Report.

We will also host a panel of thought leaders working hard to improve the media landscape, including:
  • Madeline Di Nonno, CEO of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media;
  • Teagan Earley, Actor, Producer, Co-Founder, Sisters First
  • Qadree Holmes, Founder / Executive Producer, Quriosity Productions
  • Kris Rey, Writer / Director, "I Used to Go Here"
  • Sadieh Rifai, Actor, "The Red Line, Patriot"

Our See Jane Salons are for members only. If you are a member and would like to attend please contact Jazmin at jaz...@seejane.org. To become a member please visit our website.
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email
L.A.: Join us Nov. 20 for our See Jane Salon: Status of Equity and Inclusion in Children's Television
With a robust fall television season powering up, the Institute will present its latest GD-IQ machine learning tool insights for children's television. This new analysis reveals that girls in lead and co-lead roles have achieved historic gender parity on screen, however, this representation doesn't extend to supporting characters in the same shows. Other findings focused on intersectionality and dimension will be presented, followed by a panel discussion featuring prominent children's TV industry executives who will share best practices and case histories on how they are addressing representation in stories told through Family television.

Our See Jane Salons are for members only. If you are a member and would like to attend please contact Jazmin at jaz...@seejane.org. To become a member please visit our website.
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email
Learn more about Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media:
Donate | Home | Research | News

Stay with it, and you'll find 'your time'.
Anna Sui, fashion designer, via Quotabelle
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email

About Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
Geena Davis Institute on Gender in the Media Founded by Academy Award®-winning actor Geena Davis, the Institute is the only research-based organization working with media and entertainment companies with cutting-edge research, education, and advocacy programs to dramatically improve how girls and women are reflected in media targeting children 11 and under. For more information visit: www.seejane.org.
About Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles
Mount Saint Mary's University Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles is the only women’s university in Los Angeles and one of the most diverse in the nation. We offer a dynamic learning experience in the liberal arts and sciences, enhanced by an emphasis on building leadership skills and fostering a spirit to serve others. For more information, visit www.msmu.edu.
Sign Up
SmartBrief offers 200+ newsletters
Subscriber Tools:
Contact Us:
Chief Executive Officer  -  Madeline Di Nonno
Editor  -  Susan Rush
Mailing Address:
SmartBrief, Inc.®, 555 11th ST NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20004
© 1999-2019 SmartBrief, Inc.®
Privacy Policy (updated May 25, 2018) |  Legal Information