News and events from the Seamus Heaney Centre

The Seamus Heaney Centre

Dec 3, 2018, 7:48:42 AM12/3/18
to studionort...@gmail.com
Fellows and farewells, and a call for writers...

News and events at the Seamus Heaney Centre

EVENTS...
Happy Browsing: anthology launch
Thu 6 Dec, 7.00pm

The Crescent Arts Centre
FREE (byo)
For 34 years, Bookfinders, and Mary Denvir, provided a space for poetry and prose, music and art. In November, Bookfinders closed its doors for the final time, and the editors of The Tangerine and The Lifeboat decided to bring together an anthology of writing that celebrates how much the place has meant to generations of writers. The evening will feature readings from contributors to the book, and music by special guests.
The Seamus Heaney Centre presents…
Beginning Thu 10 Jan, 7.00pm

Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast
FREE (byo)
A monthly series of themed nights in the Crescent where participants have seven minutes to present under that evening’s theme. Poetry, prose, drama, criticism, show-and-tell, original work, or something revisited. Each night features an expert or enthusiast from outside the literary sector.
The series continues:
Thu 7 Feb, Thu 7 Mar, Fri 12 Apr, Fri 3 May, Fri 7 Jun (as part of the Belfast Book Festival)
OUR PEOPLE...
We recently announced the appointment of our new SHC Fellows for 2018-19. In the new year, we'll welcome musician Iain Archer, novelist Lucy Caldwell, and the stage and screenwriter Lisa McGee. Read the full press release here
We bid farewell to Mark Doty, our first Visiting International Poetry Fellow. Mark worked closely with students and took part in public readings and talks throughout November.
Hear more about the Fellowship in this short film featuring Mark himself, our director Glenn Patterson, and the Arts Council's Noirin McKinney.
It was filmed at the School of Music's Harty Room on the 23rd Nov, where Mark Doty was in conversation with Dr Philip McGowan.
OPPORTUNITIES...

Ireland Chair of Poetry Student Prize - open to Masters students studying Creative Writing or Poetry in Queen’s University Belfast, Trinity College Dublin or University College Dublin.

Up to two prizes (€1,000 each) awarded in each of the participating universities. More details here
*
Ireland Chair of Poetry Travel Award - £2,000 to one recipient to help realise a project requiring travel within or outside Ireland. Apply here.

DEADLINE Fri 22 Feb at 5.30pm
*
The Linenhall Library's Michael McLaverty short story award, administered on behalf of the Literary Executors of Michael McLaverty. Apply here.

Press enquiries
Our mailing address is:
The Seamus Heaney Centre, Queen's University, 46-48 University Road, Belfast, BT7 1NN

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
The Seamus Heaney Centre · Queen's University Belfast · 46 - 48 University Road · Belfast, Co Antrim BT7 1NN · United Kingdom

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp