VAI Ebulletin - News, Exhibitions & Events for 06/20/2021

Visual Artists Ireland

Jun 20, 2021, 6:03:10 AM6/20/21
to Stu Dio
Your weekly update on new exhibitions and events taking place around Ireland and online.
View this email in your browser
20th June 2021

Table of Contents

VAI News

News

Opening Soon

Online

VAI Learning & Events

Featured Listing
For more details about what's on in the visual arts around the country, as well as details of international exhibitions featuring Irish artists, check our What's On section of our Website.
Featured Listing
For more details about what's on in the visual arts around the country, as well as details of international exhibitions featuring Irish artists, check our What's On section of our Website.

Details

VAI News

Visual Artists Ireland welcomes new Board of Trustee member, Maeve Jennings

Today, VAI welcomes Maeve Jennings as an external expert to the Board of Trustees. Maeve is based in Paris where she is the Managing Director of Harcourt Investments, advisor to investment companies on asset investment, management and strategy. Maeve is a Chartered Surveyor, she is also a graduate of Dublin City University and holds an MBA from Trinity College Dublin.

“We are confident Maeve will provide valuable perspectives as we continue to deliver and enhance our strategy in the support of artists in their professional lives. Maeve’s wealth of experience in the areas of cultural structural development and knowledge in the area of international Strategic Development Goals have already assisted VAI to increase our capacity to take advantage of opportunities, and to share knowledge enhancing value for all our stakeholders. We look forward to Maeve’s continued contribution and are excited that she has agreed to join VAI in our work to support visual artists and contribute to the future development of VAI.” Noel Kelly CEO VAI.

Out Now! The VAN Podcast – Episode 4: Elaine Hoey

Elaine Hoey, A Blind Eye, 2021; image courtesy the artist

The VAN Podcast is a podcast series from Visual Artists Ireland.

Published every two months, The VAN Podcast comprises online conversations, recorded remotely, with various contributors to each issue of The Visual Artists’ News Sheet. This gives opportunities to discuss some of the ideas arising from published texts, while also offering insights into wider practice.

Episode 4 features an interview with new media artist Elaine Hoey, who contributed to the May/June 2021 issue of VAN.

Elaine works with a range of formats, such as Virtual Reality (VR), Artificial Intelligence (AI) systems, video, gaming, installation and live performance, which has recently expanded to include remote cyber performance.

Elaine’s interactive installations explore the biopolitics of digital humanity and our evolving relationship with the screen. Among other forthcoming projects, Elaine’s solo exhibition, ‘Flesh and Tongue’, will be presented at GOMA Contemporary in Waterford in June. She is also currently developing new work for a major solo exhibition, ‘Mimesis’, at Solstice Art Centre in Navan, later this year.

Reminder: VAI Survey on Artists Payments and Workplace

VAI is updating to our research into the real impact and experience of the Artists’ Payments Guidelines. Rob (Hilken) and Shelly (McDonnell) have been working on putting together a questionnaire to capture the information that we need to continue our advocacy work in that area. Many have filled it out already, and a huge thank you to those that have. If you haven’t had a chance to fill out the survey yet, then we ask you to give it some time? It is based on information that you will have from your accounts for 2019, and if you haven’t started to do your 2020 accounts yet, then ballpark figures will do.

You may think that the survey is not for you. But, it is really important to us that we know about artists working at all levels of experience, and especially to know about artists who may not have generated an income from their practice during 2019 or 2020.

Also, we are asking about studios, which is another area of our advocacy, and one where we want to update our knowledge on the current demand versus supply across the country.

We are very keen to understand if the Guidelines are proving to be effective and also to hear your story about your experience. You may not have had exhibitions or income in those years and you may not feel that the survey is for you, but it is still important that we hear from you. The link to the Survey is https://forms.gle/mb9Xarj7gtepDpNH9

We are also asking organisations questions about their experience of the Guidelines and looking at their realities. We believe that it is important to get both sides of the story, and to understand those who have effectively implemented payment policies as well as those who have yet to do so, as well as the barriers that they may experience in their efforts to support artists. Already findings are coming in and they are making for interesting reading, and will again inform our advocacy to policy makers and funding bodies, who have been very open to our conversations about the support of artists across all levels of experience and art practices.

If you are an organisation who engages with Visual Artists, the organisation version of the survey can be found at https://forms.gle/zntRYGkfjaqKd2AM6

News

Arts Council issue COVID-19 Guidance Document to help Festival and Event Organisers

The Arts Council and Fáilte Ireland have come together in partnership to develop guidelines in line with the government’s COVID-19 Resilience and Recovery 2021 — The Path Ahead to help festival and event organisers minimise the risk of the transmission of COVID-19 at festivals and individual events, and to rebuild confidence and trust among attendees.

The Main Guidance Document is available here.

Helpful examples and templates are also available below:

  • Appendix 1 Event Organiser COVID-19 Response Plan Checklist is available here
  • Appendix 2 Risk Assessment sample is available here
  • Appendix 3 Working Example of an Outdoor Festival Model is available here
  • Appendix 4 Working Example of an Indoor Festival Model is available here
  • Appendix 5 Advice for the safe use of Alcohol-based hand sanitiser is available here

For more guidelines, including information for children and young people’s arts and cultural activities see: artscouncil.ie/covid-19/government-guidelines/

Catherine Martin, T.D. Announces Recipients of Culture Ireland Funding – April 2021

The Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, Catherine Martin T.D., announced funding of €455,000 by Culture Ireland for the promotion of Irish arts globally in 2021 and 2022. The funding is to support 51 projects presenting Irish film, literature, music, theatre and the visual arts worldwide and includes a special focus on Irish theatre showcasing in Edinburgh this August.

Announcing the awards, Minister Martin said:

“This funding will help many artists continue to present their work online, reaching international audiences. I am delighted that the recently announced Government roadmap for international travel has enabled support of artists to travel again to present their work in person, starting with the prestigious Edinburgh International Festival this August.”

Marking the return of physical presentation to global audiences is the world premiere of new work by Enda Walsh, Medicine, a co-production between Landmark Productions and Galway International Arts Festival being presented at Traverse Theatre as part of the Edinburgh International Festival in August.  Also as part of the Culture Ireland Edinburgh Showcase 2021, eleven Irish theatre shows will be presented online through the Fringe Marketplace to allow Irish artists to reach global presenters and secure future touring opportunities.

Later, in November, Dead Centre will present Beckett’s Room at Warwick Arts Centre in connection with Coventry 2021 UK City of Culture.

The online projects being funded involve a diverse range of projects and artforms including presentations of Alice’s Adventures Under Ground, an opera by Gerald Barry presented by Irish National Opera in partnership with the Royal Opera House London. Irish musicians will perform at key Irish festivals in the US over the summer and Irish language writers will present their work alongside Maori writers in a collaboration with Cúirt International Festival of Literature in Christchurch, New Zealand in August 2021.

Culture Ireland’s support will ensure that Irish artists can reach a worldwide audiences both online and in person, reconnecting with audiences physically for the first time in eighteen months.

Please see www.cultureireland.ie for the full list of April 2021 and Edinburgh grant round recipients.

This round includes funding for visual art projects by Valeria Ceregini, Green on Red Gallery, Jim Ricks, Pauline O’Connell, Sinéad Lucey, Maïa Nunes & Pádraig Spillane. Please see www.cultureireland.ie for the full list of April 2021 and Edinburgh grant round recipients.

The next deadline for receipt of Culture Ireland grant applications is 1st August 2021. Applications for funding to present work internationally from 15th October 2021 onwards must be submitted by this date.
https://www.cultureireland.ie/funding/schemes/regular

Opening Soon

WHERE | Willie Doherty at the Ulster Museum

WHERE | Willie Doherty at the Ulster Museum,

04/06/2021 - 12/09/2021 -

Ulster Museum, Botanic Ct, Belfast

WHERE, a major international exhibition of the work of Willie Doherty (Derry, 1959), twice Turner Prize nominee and Northern Ireland’s foremost contemporary artist, opens at the Ulster Museum  4 June....

Close to Home | Maurice Orr at Flowerfield Arts Centre

Close to Home | Maurice Orr at Flowerfield Arts Centre,

16/06/2021 - 24/07/2021 -

Flowerfield Arts Centre, 185 Coleraine Road, Portstewart

Flowerfield Arts Centre are delighted to present a new body of work, Close to Home, by acclaimed Northern Irish artist Maurice Orr inspired by the poetry of Seamus Heaney. Through...

Transience | CCAM-GMIT Degree Show 2021, Galway Coach Station

Transience | CCAM-GMIT Degree Show 2021, Galway Coach Station,

17/06/2021 - 27/06/2021 - 11:00 am - 5:00 pm

Galway Coach Station, Fairgreen Rd, Galway

As a continuation-of-sorts from the CCAM-GMIT degree show B.C. 2021, a sample of work will be exhibited in the Galway Coach Station from June 17th-27th, 11am-5pm. Transience is an opportunity...

Abstract View | Group Exhibition at The Courthouse Gallery and Studios

Abstract View | Group Exhibition at The Courthouse Gallery and Studios,

18/06/2021 - 17/07/2021 - 12:00 pm - 5:00 am

The Courthouse Gallery, Parliament Street, Ennistymon, Co. Clare, Ennistymon

The Courthouse Gallery & Studios is delighted to present Abstract View, a group exhibition by Jane Rainey, Lola Donoghue, Megan Burns, Shane O'Driscoll, preview, Friday, 18th June, 12 – 5...

Amabie Project | Group Show at Pollen Studios

Amabie Project | Group Show at Pollen Studios,

19/06/2021 - 03/07/2021 -

Pollen Studios and Gallery, 37-39 Queen Street, Belfast

One year after the project call-out and we’re still in the midst of the pandemic, we’re happy to announce that the Amabie Project exhibition will take place from Saturday 19th...

MEET | Group Show at Periphery Space, Gorey School of Art

MEET | Group Show at Periphery Space, Gorey School of Art,

19/06/2021 - 27/06/2021 - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm

Periphery Space, Gorey School of Art, Mary Ward Lane, St Michael's Road, Gorey

MEET is the accumulation and culmination of PeripheriesMEET, an online correspondence, which, in its first year, has existed exclusively online – until now. The seven artists presented at Gorey School...

The Land for the People | Eimear Walshe at National Sculpture Factory

The Land for the People | Eimear Walshe at National Sculpture Factory,

21/06/2021 - 21/12/2021 -

National Sculpture Factory, Albert Rd, Ballintemple, Cork

The National Sculpture Factory in association with Cork Midsummer Festival have commissioned a new public artwork by artist Eimear Walshe, entitled The Land for the People. National Sculpture Factory has...

Strike your offended senses: A modest exhibition of artistic frivolity | Niamh Hannaford and Tara Carroll at Pallas Projects and Studios

Strike your offended senses: A modest exhibition of artistic frivolity | Niamh Hannaford and Tara Carroll at Pallas Projects and Studios,

24/06/2021 - 10/07/2021 - 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Pallas Projects/Studios, 115–117 The Coombe, Dublin 8

Preview: 5–8pm Thursday 24th June 2021 Exhibition continues: Friday 25th June – Saturday 10th July Performances and Play Sessions with the artists to be announced soon through website and social media. Register a time for...

The Space Between | Aaron Magowan at Vault Artist Studios

The Space Between | Aaron Magowan at Vault Artist Studios,

24/06/2021 - 30/06/2021 - 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Vault Artist Studios, 4-84 Tower Street, Belfast

You are cordially invited to the first ever showing of Aaron Magowan’s collection of portrait paintings of artists at Vault Artists Studios.  Opening on the 24th June and then by...

Silver Tongued Deviance | Poetry Evening at Void Gallery

Silver Tongued Deviance | Poetry Evening at Void Gallery,

24/06/2021 - 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Void Gallery, 10 Waterloo Place, Derry

To start our  programme of events for our summer exhibition, CHOREOGRAPH, Elizabeth Price,  we are delighted to welcome back Frank Rafferty for an evening of poetry on the 24th of...

Mediating Signals 01: Tracing Algo-rhythm | Group Show at Flax Art Studios

Mediating Signals 01: Tracing Algo-rhythm | Group Show at Flax Art Studios,

29/06/2021 - 03/07/2021 -

Flax Art Studios, Havelock House, Ormeau Road,, Belfast

Mediating Signals 01_ Tracing Algo-rhythm With Julie Louise Bacon, Helena Hamilton and Una Walker Curated by Edy Fung 29/6-3/7/2021 𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐱 𝐀𝐫𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝟐𝟎𝟒𝟓, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥...

The Engineering of Consent | Padraic Barrett at Marina Market

The Engineering of Consent | Padraic Barrett at Marina Market,

29/06/2021 - 04/07/2021 - 12:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Marina Market, Centre Park Road, Ballintemple, Cork

Padraic Barrett | The Engineering of Consent Backwater Artists Group, Ciarán Langford Memorial Bursary Exhibition Marina Market, Centre Park Rd, Ballintemple, Cork 29 June - 4 July, 2021, daily, 12-7pm | Exhibition...

A delicate bond which is also a gap | Isabel Nolan at Solstice Arts Centre

A delicate bond which is also a gap | Isabel Nolan at Solstice Arts Centre,

03/07/2021 - 28/08/2021 -

Solstice Arts Centre, Railway St, Dillonsland, Navan

Solstice presents a significant exhibition of work by Irish Artist Isabel Nolan ‘A delicate bond which is also a gap’. The bonds that hold us together, which make us less...

Online

Online Screening | Different Dusts by Chloe Brenan at The Douglas Hyde Gallery

Online Screening | Different Dusts by Chloe Brenan at The Douglas Hyde Gallery,

10/06/2021 - 24/06/2021 -

, ,

Presenting artist Chloe Brenan’s film Different Dusts (2021) as part of our ongoing online Screening Series. Chloe Brenan’s work captures the quiet poetic moments of daily life; the shadows cast by a...

Online Exhibition | The Zone That Doth Become Thee Fair, Bloomsday Festival 2021

Online Exhibition | The Zone That Doth Become Thee Fair, Bloomsday Festival 2021,

11/06/2021 - 29/06/2021 -

, ,

A virtual exhibition of Frank Kiely’s works inspired by the writings of James Joyce. View here. From the artist: To say the least I was not what you would call...

Online Exhibition | The Day-Crossing Farm: Live installation - Film streaming

Online Exhibition | The Day-Crossing Farm: Live installation - Film streaming,

17/06/2021 - 27/06/2021 -

, ,

The Day-Crossing Farm is a huge multi-sensory live art installation by visual artist Marie Brett located in a secret Cork City location, exploring issues of human trafficking, modern-day-slavery and drug...

Online Group Show | Photoworks from The Griffith College Photography Department

Online Group Show | Photoworks from The Griffith College Photography Department,

17/06/2021 - 31/08/2021 -

, ,

The Griffith College Photography Department welcomes you to the online exhibition of work from the full and part-time BA in Photographic Media second-year students and final-year Communications and Media Production students....

Online Artist Talk | Culture Chats from MART

Online Artist Talk | Culture Chats from MART,

18/06/2021 - 31/07/2021 -

, ,

Culture Chats is a round table discussion that intertwines cultural and social conversations with performance; while delving into the minds of some of the leading contemporary voices in Irish culture. ...

Online Screening | KAVA Presents... Carmel Daly

Online Screening | KAVA Presents... Carmel Daly,

21/06/2021 - 10:00 am - 11:00 am

, ,

KAVA Presents...Carmel Daly.  In this episode of KAVA Presents, we will get an introduction to the practice, process, and artworks of KAVA member, Carmel Daly.  This is the 10th episode...

Online Artist Talk | Mary Cremin in conversation with Anne Tallentire on Instagram Live

Online Artist Talk | Mary Cremin in conversation with Anne Tallentire on Instagram Live,

22/06/2021 - 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

, ,

On Tuesday 22nd June at 6pm, join Void Director Mary Cremin in conversation with Anne Tallentire, to discuss the commission Through interspacing, which is the next artists commission in Void...

Online Group Show | Graduate Show from Griffith College Graduate Photography

Online Group Show | Graduate Show from Griffith College Graduate Photography,

25/06/2021 - 31/08/2021 -

, ,

The Griffith College Graduate photography exhibition proudly showcases the work of 12 emerging photographers. We celebrate their creativity and invite you to enjoy their diverse explorations of photography as a visual medium. This...

Online Artist Talk | The Artist's Well - Episode 48 - Robert Russell

Online Artist Talk | The Artist's Well - Episode 48 - Robert Russell,

26/06/2021 - 10:00 am - 11:00 am

, ,

THE ARTIST'S WELL featuring ROBERT RUSSELL The Artist’s Well is a weekly programme via Zoom (live) at 10am on Saturdays and YouTube (recorded for playback) which provides viewers with an...

Online Artist Talk | In Conversation: Public Art in Healthcare

Online Artist Talk | In Conversation: Public Art in Healthcare,

30/06/2021 - 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

, ,

Claire Meaney, George O'Neill, Conall Cary Wednesday 30 June, 1-2 pm IST Join us for a lunchtime conversation on public art in healthcare. Claire Meaney, Director of Waterford Healing Arts...

VAI Learning & Events

VAI Clinic | Digital Identity – Communicating Your Practice Online (Co. Kerry based artists only) (29 June)

Event: Digital Identity – Communicating Your Practice Online

Format: Clinics (Online via zoom)

Date: Tuesday 29th June, 2021

Time: 1pm -> 5pm   (Eight 20min 1-on-1 clinic sessions for 8 different Co. Kerry based artists)

This clinic is aimed at artists who attended the morning webinar – Digital Identity – communicating your practice online and would like one-to-one advice about specific challenges they are facing.
PLEASE NOTE: These clinics are for Co. Kerry based artists ONLY. Also, it is highly recommended that should you book one of these 8 clinics you should also attend the morning webinar from 11am which you can book here: https://visualartists.ie/professional-development-_/#!event/2021/6/29/webinar-digital-identity-communicating-your-practice-online

Conall Cary – Bio

Conall Cary is a visual artist and printmaker based out of Cork.  After studies at the University of Oregon, he went on to study printmaking at the Centre for Creative Arts & Media in Galway, before completing an M.A. in Digital Cultures from University College Cork, focusing on online digital representation of visual arts content in Ireland.

Conall has exhibited throughout Ireland and internationally, and has been awarded residencies in Scotland, the United States, Ireland and Finland.

His work can be found in both public and private collections in Ireland, America, Finland, and Scotland., among them the National Print Museum in Finland, the Office of Public Works in Ireland, and the Zuckerman Museum of Art in the United States.

For more about Conall and his work please visit www.conallcary.com

———————————————————————————————————————

WEBINARS and ONLINE EVENTS: We use Zoom to host our online events. The following text should be followed and tested before registering for a Cafe or Help Desk Event. Zoom has an excellent Help Desk service if you are experiencing problems.

You will be emailed a link to the event in the confirmation email you receive after you have registered.

VAI DISCLAIMER: the information provided in this webinar/ clinic / helpdesk is general information only and does not constitute legal or commercial advice. No liability whatsoever is accepted by Visual Artists Ireland for any action taken in reliance on the information. Legal advice should always be sought from professionals on your personal situation or matters of a legal or financial nature.

Connectivity: Do you experience connectivity issues when engaging with online VAI events? If so why not search for the nearest BCP (Broadband Connection Point) in your area? To explore your options please visit: https://nbi.ie/bcp-map/

———————————————————————————————————————

This event is brought to you in collaboration with Kerry County Arts

Venue Online
Starts Tue Jun 29 2021, 13:00 GMT
Ends Tue Jun 29 2021, 17:00 GMT

Register Now!

VAI Webinar | Digital Identity – Communicating Your Practice Online (29 June)

Event: Digital Identity – Communicating Your Practice Online

Format: Webinar (Online via zoom)

Date: Tuesday 29th June, 2021

Time: 11am (1hr webinar)

[...]

Starts Tue Jun 29 2021, 11:00 GMT
Ends Tue Jun 29 2021, 12:00 GMT

Register Now!

VAI Member €5
Northern Ireland VAI Member €5
Co. Kerry based artist Free
Non member / General Public €10

VAI Clinic | How to make your own artist video content (with a mobile phone) – Ards and North Down artists only (22 June)

Event: Clinics – How to make your artist video content (with a mobile phone)

Please note* these clinics are for Ards and North Down artists only

Format: Visual Artists Café (Online via zoom)

Date: Tuesday 22nd June, 2021

Time: 1pm -> 5pm

Free for all Ards & North Down based artists

Tutor: Simon Mills is a Belfast based documentary photographer. As well as exploring making processes and communities, his work also examines land use and our changing relationship with the landscape.

VAI Clinics
Get help in 20-minute one-on-one meetings with experts in their field. Whether you want to know where to start after a gap in your practice, would like to know how you can take your career to the next stage, or would just like someone to review your work or your website and give you feedback, Clinics offer focused time to do this.

Feel free to send on some information to us to make the most of your session, such as images of your work, exhibition proposals, links to website, or any applications you are currently working on that you would like a second opinion on.

————————————————————————————————————————-

[...]

This event is supported by Ards and North Down Arts Office

Venue Online
Starts Tue Jun 22 2021, 13:00 GMT
Ends Tue Jun 22 2021, 17:00 GMT

Register Now!

VAI Webinar | How to make your own artist video content (with a mobile phone) (22 June)

Event: Webinar – How to make your artist video content (with a mobile phone)

Format: Visual Artists Café (Online via zoom)

Date: Tuesday 22nd June, 2021

Time: 11am (1hr)

[...]

Starts Tue Jun 22 2021, 11:00 GMT
Ends Tue Jun 22 2021, 12:30 GMT

Register Now!

VAI Member €5
VAI Northern Ireland Member €5
General admission €10

VAI Webinar | Artist talk with Miriam O Connor (13 July)

Event: Webinar: Artist Talk with Miriam O’Connor

Format: Webinar (Online via zoom)

Date: Tuesday 13th July, 2021

Time: 3pm

Miriam O’Connor – Bio

Miriam O’Connor is from Cork and was educated at Technological University, Dublin and later completed a Research Masters at Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art Design & Technology, Dublin (2011). In her practice she draws inspiration from the sights, sounds and language of everyday life. She is curious about the multifaceted roles photography occupies in culture and the manner in which this persuasive medium permeates the way we engage with the world around us. Rather than providing answers, O’Connor positions photography as a tool for posing questions, a playful medium that commands its own attention and analysis. Using photographs, text and printed matter, her projects have explored themes around looking and seeing; the relationship between camera and subject and the complex nature of photographic representation. Following her relocation to the family farm in recent years, O’Connor now occupies a dual role of farmer and photographer, where she is interested in engaging with the elasticity of the medium throughout everyday agricultural life.

In recent times O’ Connor was awarded the Visual Artists Ireland, Experiment! Award (2020) and her long-term body of work, ‘Tomorrow is Sunday’ was published in conjunction with A Woman’s Work by Gallery of Photography Ireland (2020). A solo show of this work will take place at The Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin in July, 2021. In addition to her art practice, and farming, O’Connor also lectures part-time at Griffith College Dublin. Her work is part of FUTURES, a photography platform that pools the resources and talent programmes of leading photography institutions across Europe, and A Woman’s Work, a project that uses photography and digital media to challenge the dominant view of gender and industry in Europe. She is supported by the Arts Council of Ireland, Cork County Council, Visual Artists Ireland and Culture Ireland. Her work is held in public collections including, Arts Council of Ireland, Limerick City Gallery of Art and the Office of Public Works.

———————————————————————————————————————

[...]

Starts Tue Jul 13 2021, 15:00 GMT
Ends Tue Jul 13 2021, 16:30 GMT

Register Now!

Visual Artists Café | Embassy of Ireland – Berlin (7 July)

The Embassy of Ireland | Germany presents a special edition of Cultúr Salon in collaboration with Visual Artists Ireland.

-German Version below-

The Embassy presents a special edition of Cultúr Salon in collaboration with Visual Artists Ireland. We will hear from exciting Berlin based Irish artists who will speak about their art practices, as well as from Visual Artists Ireland and Internationale Gesellschaft der Bildenden Künste who will give us insight into their organisations and the visual arts landscapes in Ireland and Germany. There will also be an opportunity to connect with others during a breakout session.

About the speakers:

Aileen Murphy:

Murphy’s figures melt into many amorphous shapes, implying a combination of bodies and duality of form, both corporeal and spiritual. As her paintings bounce between abstraction and figuration, the presence of bodies, and the artist’s own body is omnipresent. Fusing swoops of gestural brushwork with finger-painted details, Murphy’s transformative physical interaction with paint also alters our emotional perception through what is made visible, and she describes this close-quarters process as a ‘scuffle’. Murphy’s instinctive actions and feelings, especially those that are vague or irrational, lead to decisions about form, composition, colour, and subject at each stage she makes her artwork. Paintings allow for contradictions to coexist in the same place and Murphy’s methodology embraces conflicting sensibilities of disobedience and care. Allowing for alternating individual responses based on mood and situation, her playful approach to decision-making is in keeping with Francis Picabia’s jolly aphorism, “Our heads are round so our thoughts can change direction”. Paintings that may, at first, appear spontaneous or whimsical are often constituted from a sequence of assertive and controlled conclusions, and a wealth of knowledge, that results in the vast spectrum of idiosyncratic aesthetic attributes that characterise Aileen Murphy’s practice.

Julia Dubsky:

Julia Dubsky is a painter, often dealing with mimetic relationships between perception and what is depicted. She begins with automatic drawing and mark making, allowing figurative motifs to appear and to be erased selectively. The style varies as though from observation and fantasy, or abstract material without illusions — reflecting a multiplicity of attitudes in each canvas.

Born in Dublin, 1990, Julia Dubsky completed her BA in the National College of Art and Design in 2016. She was the TBG+S Recent Graduate Residency recipient in 2017, which culminated in a solo exhibition, Salon of Good Time, in studio 16. In 2018 she began an MFA in the class of Jutta Koether, at Hochschule für Bildende Kunst, Hamburg and she has been based in Berlin since.

Julia Dubsky is represented by the London gallery, Amanda Wilkinson, where she had her first solo exhibition in 2019. Her public speaking includes a Basic Space Talk in the Hugh Lane, Dublin City Gallery, and her writing has been published by Circa Magazine in 2019 and f. 2020. Dubsky was the Art School Alliance resident at Goldsmiths University, funded by DAAD and the Karl Heine Dietz Schtiftung in spring 2020.

Ciarán Walsh:

Ciarán Walsh’s artwork engages with themes of loss, precariousness, transformation, and place. As part of an ongoing exploration that draws from popular culture, folk traditions and Romanticism, he examines archetypes and allegory in representations of both the supernatural and the natural world. His work has been exhibited at the Irish Musuem of Modern Art (Dublin), Kunsthalle Bratislava (Slovakia), Crawford City Gallery (Cork), CCA Glasgow (Glasgow), Ujazdowski Castle (Warsaw), Mother’s Tankstation (Dublin) and Light & Wire Gallery (Los Angeles), among others, and his artist’s novels are held in the permanent ‘Book Lovers’ collection at MuHKA (Antwerp). He is currently the resident artist at The Watch (Berlin). Additionally, Walsh has curated a number of public commissions and projects in Ireland, the UK and Germany.

VAI – Visual Artists Ireland

Visual Artists Ireland is the Representative body for professional visual artists in Ireland. VAI research has identified: Isolation; a Need for Support; and a Need for Information as the three primary areas of concern for visual artists.

Each of these impact areas are directly referenced by a range of services which are clearly directed towards our vision statement “We dare to dream of a time when artists will live in a world of opportunities.” Through the delivery of Networking, Support, and Information services, we allow individual artists and artist groups to develop their careers, develop a capacity to take advantage of the opportunities, and to share knowledge. We do this through: Advocacy; Advice; Membership Services; Lifelong Learning; and Information Provision.

IGBK – Internationale Gesellschaft der Bildenden Künste

The Internationale Gesellschaft der Bildenden Künste (IGBK) is a powerful lobby, representing the interests of visual artists. It has been the guiding idea of IGBK since its beginning to foster worldwide collaboration amongst visual artists in all directions.

We council visual artists on the possibilities of working opportunities and grants, both in Germany and abroad. We help cut through red tape associated with exchange and exhibition projects abroad, and issue the IAA International Identity Card for artists (residing in Germany). The card includes ticket price reductions or free admission to many museums and galleries worldwide.

IGBK services and consulting offers are available to all organised and non-organised visual artists in Germany. Since April 2013 we have been working on www.touring-artists.info, a joint project of IGBK and the International Theatre Institute in Germany (ITI). The website provides information on visas, residence, transport, customs, taxes, social insurance, and copyright related to cross-border mobility for artists working internationally. The project is supported by the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media.

Deutsche Version

Die Botschaft hat die Ehre eine Sonderausgabe des Cultúr Salon zu präsentieren, der in Zusammenarbeit mit Visual Artists Ireland stattfindet. Dies wird eine Plattform für irische Künstler*innen sein, die über ihr Handwerk sprechen werden, sowie für Visual Artists Ireland und die Internationale Gesellschaft der Bildenden Künste. Beide Organisationen werden Einblicke in ihre Arbeit als auch in die Szenen der bildenden Kunst in Irland und Deutschland bieten. Es wird außerdem eine Möglichkeit zum Networking während einer Breakout-Session geben.

Über die Redner*innen:

Aileen Murphy:

Murphys Figuren gehen in zahlreiche amorphe Formen über, was eine Verbindung zwischen den Körpern und eine Dualität von Formen andeutet – sowohl im körperlichen als auch im spirituellen Sinne. Da ihre Gemälde zwischen Abstraktion und Figurität angesiedelt sind, sind Körper allgegenwärtig, was den Körper der Künstlerin miteinschließt. Miteinander verschmelzende Schwünge von gestischer Pinselführung werden durch finger-gemalte Details akzentuiert. Murphys umgestaltende, physische Interaktion mit Farbe verändert auch unsere emotionale Wahrnehmung durch das, was sichtbar gemacht wird. Sie beschreibt diesen hautnahen Prozess als „Handgemenge“. Ihre instinktiven Aktionen und Gefühle, insbesondere diejenigen die undeutlich oder irrational anmuten, führen zu Entscheidungen in Bezug auf Form, Kompositon, Farbe und Gegenstand in jeder Phase der Erschaffung. Durch Gemälde können Widersprüche im selben Ort miteinander koexistieren und Murphys Herangehensweise vereint die auseinandergehenden Sensibilitäten von Ungehorsamkeit und Achtsamkeit. Ihr spielerische Haltung zur Entscheidungsfindung erinnert an den unterhaltsamen Spruch von Francis Picabia: „Unsere Kopfe sind rund, damit unsere Gedanken ihre Richtung wechseln können“. Dadurch ergeben sich unterschiedliche individuelle Antwortmöglichkeiten auf der Basis von Stimmung und Situation.Gemälde, die zunächst spontan und verspielt wirken, sind häufig von bewussten und überlegten Entschiedungen durchdrungen. Hinzu kommt ein Reichtum an Kenntnis, die in einem weiten Spektrum von einzigartigen, ästhetischen Eigenschaften mündet, die für Aileen Murphys Arbeit charakteristisch sind.

Julia Dubsky:

Julia Dubsky ist eine Künstlerin, die sich oft mit den mimetischen Zusammenhängen zwischen Wahrnehmung und Dargestelltem befasst. Sie beginnt zunächst mit automatischem Zeichnen und dem Setzen von Markierungen. Dadurch können bestimmte figurative Motive erscheinen oder ausgelöscht werden. Ihr Stil variiert zwischen Beobachtung und Fantasie und beinhaltet auch abstraktes Material ohne Illusionen, wodurch eine Vielfalt an Haltungen auf jeder Leinwand zum Vorschein tritt.

Geboren wurde sie 1990 in Dublin und sie erhielt einen BA von dem National College of Art and Design im Jahre 2016. Sie erhielt die TBG+S Recent Graduate Residency im Jahre 2017, welche mit einer Solo-Ausstellung gekrönt wurde, dem Salon of Good Time im studio 16. 2018 begann sie einen MFA unter der Aufsicht von Jutta Koether an der Hochschule für Bildende Kunst, Hamburg. Seitdem lebt sie in Berlin.

Julia Dubsky wird von der London Gallery, Amanda Wilkinson, repräsentiert, wo sie ihre erste Austellung im Jahre 2019 eröffnete. Ihre öffentlichen Vorträge hielt sie beim Basic Space Talk in der Hugh Lane, an der Dublin City Gallery und ihre Schriften wurden 2019 und 2020 von Circa Magazine veröffentlicht. Dubsky war die Art School Alliance Resident an der Goldsmiths University, welches vom DAAD und der Karl-Heine-Dietz-Stiftung im Frühling 2020 gesponsert wurde.

Ciarán Walsh:

Die Kunstwerke von Ciarán Walsh befassen sich mit Themen wie Verlust, prekären Lebensbedingungen, Umwandlung und Raum. Er untersucht dabei Archetypen und Allegorien in Darstellungen der natürlichen und übernatürlichen Welt, als Teil einer weitergehenden Endeckung, die Inspiration bezieht von Popkultur, folkloristischen Traditionen und Romantik. Seine Werke wurden ausgestellt im Irish Musuem of Modern Art (Dublin), in der Kunsthalle Bratislava (Slowakei), der Crawford City Gallery (Cork), dem CCA Glasgow (Glasgow), im Schloss Ujazdów (Warsaw), der Mother’s Tankstation (Dublin) und der Light & Wire Gallery (Los Angeles) sowie vielen weiteren Orten. Seine Künstlerromane bedinfen sich in der permanenten Ausstellung der ‘Book Lovers’ Smmlung des MuHKA (Antwerpen). Derzeit ist er der residierende Künstler von The Watch (Berlin). Darüber hinaus hat er eine Anzahl an öffentlichen Projekten in Irland, dem Vereinigten Königreich und Deutschland kuratiert.

CONNECT: Through Digital Facilitation (participatory workshop with Mortal Fools) (30 June)

CONNECT: Through Digital Facilitation

This workshop, delivered via Zoom by theatre, drama and creative learning company Mortal Fools, explores effective digital facilitation. If you’re currently facilitating meetings, discussions, presentations, events, panels, workshops or participatory sessions on digital platforms then this session is for you!

2020 into 2021 has seen the rapid shift to all things digital, with many having to pivot activities, events, meetings and engagements online. The speed of this shift has meant that creatives and facilitators have often been focused on making it all happen – the NEED to move the activity online, as opposed to thinking about what digital sessions “could” look like and to maximise the audience/participant experience.

This workshop is a safe space to learn how to do just that and is designed for people already engaging in some form of digital facilitation, who want to take the next steps to improve or build on their digital facilitation skills. The session explores how to integrate effective people management, with compelling communication whilst utilising digital platform functionality for best effect. You will leave with an understanding of how to put your audience or participants’ needs at the heart of your digital engagement; supporting you to facilitate a positive, productive, collaborative, engaging, well-managed, high quality experience for all involved.

This is a skills-based workshop run by experienced theatre practitioners and communication professionals – Mortal Fools will not get into huge detail around platform functionality or technical. All participants will have access post session to high quality workshop notes and a closed FB group to ask any questions.

ABOUT MORTAL FOOLS:

Mortal Fools are a multi award-winning theatre, drama and creative learning company cocreating theatre and creative projects with young people across the North. Their purpose is to support people of all ages to form better inter-personal connections – strengthening people, groups and businesses.

CONNECT is their training and professional development programme for organisations, teams, and individuals. It uses a unique combination of practice from the creative sector and practice, theory and research from the social sciences to lead participants through a practical training process which builds on personal strengths, increases knowledge and develops new skills.

The programme themes include leadership practice, communicating more engagingly, formal presentation skills, team dynamics and emotional resilience and well-being.

You can find out more about Mortal Fools by following their social media @mortalfoolsuk, their YouTube channel and their website.

This event is supported by Ards and North Down Arts Office

Venue Online
Starts Wed Jun 30 2021, 11:00 GMT
Ends Wed Jun 30 2021, 13:30 GMT

Register Now!

Visual Artists Help Desk with Shelly McDonnell (25 June)

Do you have an area in your practice you need help with or would just like some advice on where to go next?

Artists can book a Help Desk session that will be held online. These Help Desks will be free of charge for Members and Non Members for the duration of the current crisis.

Help Desks can be on any topic related to your practice or about general advice on supports available to you at this time.

Feel free to send on some information to us to make the most of your session, such as images of your work, exhibition proposals, links to website, or any applications you are currently working on that you would like a second opinion on.

We will contact you in advance of the meeting with a link to the Zoom meeting and your scheduled time. If you would prefer talk over the phone or via Skype let us know.

———–

Book a Help Desk with Shelly McDonnell (Advocacy & Advice).

Artists can book in for a 20 minute one-to-one appointment to discuss any aspects of their professional careers.

Topics we cover can include:

  • Funding applications
  • Proposals
  • Social welfare
  • Artist statements, bios and CVs
  • Signposting to relevant arts organisations and contacts
  • Strategic planning
  • Tax and finance
  • Website and social media
  • Networking

No Bookings Available? We hold these Help Desks three times per month but if you find the sessions are fully booked or the date doesn’t suit you, please feel free to contact our Help Desk by phone on 01 672 9488, Monday – Friday, 9.30am – 5.30pm or email she...@visualartists.ie.

VAI DISCLAIMER: the information provided in this webinar/ clinic / helpdesk is general information only and does not constitute legal or commercial advice. No liability whatsoever is accepted by Visual Artists Ireland for any action taken in reliance on the information. Legal advice should always be sought from professionals on your personal situation or matters of a legal or financial nature.

Connectivity: Do you experience connectivity issues when engaging with online VAI events? If so why not search for the nearest BCP (Broadband Connection Point) in your area? To explore your options please visit: https://nbi.ie/bcp-map/

Venue Online
Starts Fri Jun 25 2021, 14:00 GMT
Ends Fri Jun 25 2021, 17:00 GMT

Register Now!

VAI Webinar | How to present work in new ways (for traditional artists/practices) – with Ciaran O Keefe, Aideen Barry and Jennifer Mehigan (23 June

Event: How to present work in new ways (for traditional artists/practices)

Format: Webinar (Online via zoom)

Date: Wednesday 23rd June, 2021

Time: 3pm

Event description: This webinar aims to explore new methods in which Irish artists are presenting their work in non-traditional formats. On the day three Irish artists will speak on their own work and experiences; Aideen Barry, Ciaran O Keefe & Jennifer Mehigan

Aideen Barry – Bio

Aideen Barry (ARHA) is a practising visual artist based in Ireland but with an international profile. She is a member of Aosdána and lectures in several universities and schools of visual art in Europe and the Americas recent fellowships and posts included: Penn State Uni, LSAD LIT, Drake, NYU, George Washington University, University de Santiago de Chile and Edinburgh University. Her works are a part of the National Collection at Crawford Art Gallery, Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork, NUI Galway, Art OMI New York, CAC Malaga, Musee la Garrotxa Catalonia and the Arts Council of Ireland. In 2021 she won the Golden Fleece Award and the Thomas Dammann Junior Memorial Trust Award. She is currently making a feature film called Klostés for Kaunas 2022 in Lithuania and is working on a commission for the ITMA  Music Network for The Bunting Archive.
www.aideenbarry.com
www.klostes.com

Ciarán O’Keefe – Bio

Ciarán O’Keeffe’s practice focuses exclusively on live performance. The ephemerality of live performance reflects the central concerns of his work: ‘We are here and then we are gone.’ His work explores the isolated individual, not as ‘up against the world’ but as a quiet unassuming part of the world. Performances evolve from personal memories, seemingly trivial details, scribbled notes in margins, things overheard. He has most recently presented work at IMMA, the NCAD Gallery and on-line via Instagram. He currently lectures in performance at IADT

Jennifer Mehigan – Bio

Initially trained in graphic design and art education, Mehigan’s work spans multiple platforms, mixing together 3d modelling, found objects, stock images, text, textiles, video, painting, sound, scent, and installation. Recently her practice has expanded to include workshops, graphic collaborations with friends, and growing flowers. She is a director and studio member of The 343, and a founding member of FRUIT SHOP.

Her research is currently located in West Cork graveyards, queer Irish garden histories, and inter-species/dimensional/planetary communication.

———————————————————————————————————————

[...]

This event is brought to you in collaboration with Kildare County Council Arts Service

Venue Online
Starts Wed Jun 23 2021, 15:00 GMT
Ends Wed Jun 23 2021, 17:00 GMT

Register Now!

Facebook Facebook
Twitter Twitter
Website Website
Principle Funders
Corporate Sponsors
International Memberships

GDPR Compliance

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to VAI's eBulletin service which provides information on VAI, Visual Arts News, Jobs, Opportunities, Exhibitions, and Events. The eBulletin is a double opt-in service, which means that you confirmed to us that you wished to receive these updates. The date on which you confirmed your subscription is on file and can be provided to you upon request. If you wish to update your subscription or stop receiving these emails from us, please use the following links

Visual Artists Ireland's Privacy Policy provides a full understanding of how we manage your data as part of our service delivery to you.

Visual Artists Ireland - Ealaíontóirí Radharcacha Éire

Head Office
Windmill View House,
Oliver Bond Street,
Dublin 8.
Tel: +353 (0)1 672 9488
Fax: +353 (0)1 672 9482
Email: in...@visualartists.ie

Northern Ireland Office
109 - 113 Royal Avenue,
Belfast, BT1 1FF
Email: in...@visualartists-ni.org

Registered Charity No. CHY 9629

Patron: Michael D. Higgins
PRESIDENT OF IRELAND

Copyright © 2021 Visual Artists Ireland, All rights reserved.

Update subscription preferences
Unsubscribe