How the genre of film production changes around the world

Stephen Follows

Jul 6, 2020, 5:26:56 AM7/6/20
to studionort...@gmail.com
Stephen Follows - Film data and education

Hi

I've been focusing on a couple of long-term projects, so there's no new research today.

Last week, I shared part one of a two-part research project I previously conducted into worldwide genre production and this week I'm sharing part two.

I studied 117,000 movies from 151 countries, shot between 1998 and 2017, to discover how genre production changes between regions.

You can read what I found at https://stephenfollows.com/genre-film-production-changes-around-world/

Until next week,

Stephen

FROM THE ARCHIVE AT STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM
How the genre of film production changes around the world

Over the period I studied, 50% of all Historical movies came from European nations. Additional proof that European filmmakers have an above average interest in historical topics comes from the second and third genres they score highest in, which are Biographies and War movies.

Europeans are less keen on Horror movies (only making 22% of all horror movies made), Westerns (21%) and Action movies (19%).

FILM DATA DIGEST
Articles, reports and news from the past seven days

How to shoot a blockbuster in the coronavirus era

This month, in theory, the latest Jurassic World sequel goes back into production on a London sound stage. And Wednesday – 1 July – was the day that Hollywood studios and TV producers planned to resume production in the United States. In fact, little if any American production has resumed, partly because some of the “tax incentive” states that attract studio productions are current virus hotbeds. Productions remain on hold or in preproduction limbo. The massive agency CAA announced this week that all staff will continue to work from home for at least the remainder of the year.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jul/03/mission-impossible-blockbuster-coronavirus-era-industry

July Preview: When Will We Next See a Wide Release?

Will there be a new wide theatrical release in July? Just over two weeks ago, the answer to that question looked like it might be yes. NATO, the North American Theater Owners trade association, said they expected about 90% of theaters would re-open by the time Tenet was set to debut on July 17. Things have changed since then, to say the least.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/246880830-July-Preview-When-Will-We-Next-See-a-Wide-Release

Have a Movie Idea? Netflix is Now Looking for Aspiring Writers

Imagine Impact from Ron Howard and Brian Grazer’s production company, is looking for submissions as part of their deal with Netflix. The open submissions are looking to identify and help develop feature film ideas in four different genres, over the next year. The first four genre-specific application windows open Wednesday. The first round of projects is considered “large scale action-adventure movies for all audiences.” Applications will be accepted now until July 6th.

https://www.projectcasting.com/tips-and-advice/netflix-imagine-impact/

Disney’s deepfakes are getting closer to a big-screen debut

How close are deepfakes to being used in big-budget films and TV shows? Pretty damn close, if a new demo from Disney is anything to go by. In a video and paper being presented at a computer graphics conference this week, researchers from the House of Mouse show off what they say is the first photo-realistic deepfake at a megapixel resolution
.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/29/21306889/disney-deepfake-face-swapping-research-megapixel-resolution-film-tv

An A.I. Robot is Going to Star in an Upcoming Sci-Fi Film

Bondit Capital Media, the money behind movies like To the Bone and Loving Vincent, has a $70 million science-fiction movie called b, set to shoot during this awful time. And it's going to star an A.I. Robot named Erica. Japanese scientists Hiroshi Ishiguro and Kohei Ogawa, created Erica in real life as part of their study of robotics. They also taught her to act, applying the principles of method acting to artificial intelligence.

https://nofilmschool.com/robot-actress

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
© Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom