✏️ Writing Prompts #117: Listen up!

Arielle

Dec 14, 2018, 7:00:29 AM12/14/18
to studionort...@gmail.com
Participate in our short story contest for the chance to win $50 and publication on our blog!

Listen up 🎧

This has been an exciting week for Reedsy because we just launched Bestseller, a new podcast that demystifies the process of writing and self-publishing a book. Over seven episodes, the show follows former Nike executive Shaz Kahng on her journey from sportswear CEO to the author of her debut novel, The Closer

Want to win a book bundle?
We need your help to get the word out about the podcast! Head to this page to win a sweet bundle of books by self-pub luminaries like Joanna Penn and David Gaughran. To enter, all you have to do is subscribe, rate, and review the podcast on iTunes!

And now back to the writing prompts: in honor of Shaz's book The Closer — which centers around entrepreneur rockstar Vivien Lee — this week's prompts are all about different types of work.
  1. Write a story about someone who works at a post office.

  2. Write a story about someone who works at a wax museum.

  3. Write a story about someone who works at a major marketing agency.

  4. Write a story about someone who works at a struggling book store.

  5. Write a story about someone who works at the busiest restaurant in town.

Short Story Contest — $50 Cash Reward
Reedsy challenges you to create a short story based on one of our prompts. Winners will be featured on our Medium Blog and receive $50 cash! In order to have your story considered, it is important you follow the rules below. As the contest grows, stories that do not adhere to the instructions may not be considered. Thank you!

Congratulations to the latest winner, Regina Clarke! Her short story, A Matter of Time, is based on the prompt: You find an old disposable camera. You're not sure how old it is or when it was used but its film is finished You get the film developed and are surprised by what you see 📷

To submit your own story:

  • Respond to this newsletter with your story as a Word doc or PDF attachment (please don't simply include it in the body of the email itself).
  • Make sure you specify which prompt your story is based on, and that your story has a title.
  • The length should be 1,000-3,000 words.
  • The deadline to submit a short story based on any of the following prompts is end of December 21st, midnight EST.
Looking forward to reading your stories!

– Arielle and The Reedsy Team

Connecting authors with the industry's best editors, designers, and book marketers.

Learn more about our services